Credit where it's due.

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
'NOT TOO SHABBY'............................a slight understatement there I feel.  I am in the Humberside region and my renewal took 14 weeks, my wife is one year behind me was 16 weeks and my pal is 12 weeks so far for a change of address. We are hearing of new applications being over a year.  The mistakes being made is way beyond a joke, my pal had none of his guns on his tickets when they returned instead he had all of his brother's guns listed on fac. I will stop there as this gets my blood boiling and the whole mess needs sorting.

I have just renewed with Thames Valley. All good. Got a text from them about 14 weeks before expiry date. My Doctor was slow in doing the med form, then forgot to stamp it, so my initial application was rejected. Re-applied with that sorted, 12 weeks before expiry and got a text saying it would be done in time, then got new certificate 2 weeks before the expiry. So TV did their bit very well. 

Last edited by a moderator:
So you now have to send docs report with the application??. 

Jasper

I have been told that Cumbria takes up to 12 months for an SGC renewal, mine took 8 months. I live in Cumbria, not good really.

Durham Renewal ,9 months to the day from posting forms to receiving ticket! No issues,no visit .8 week extension ,then temp Cert issued.

Some are good some are bad some are terrible. Bit like the way they interpret the HO guidelines really 😄

I honestly would pay more for a better service. £50 for a 5 year renewal is quite cheap.

Reactions: JP.
I renewed my SGC in January,  Warwickshire Police Firearms dept sent the reminder out 3 months before the expiry date.  Had to get the medical report doc (download from the Police firearms site) updated/signed/stamped by the GP (£65).  Submitted on Monday 16th of January, the new ticket was on the door mat the following Saturday, must have been posted on the Friday - 4 days.  I had a telephone call the following week from a FAO (cabinet still in same place, no medical conditions questions etc and so helpful) who also called my referee.

Outstanding service.  Then the new gun arrived....does one put it on the new ticket which isn't valid until 1st April or the old one?  Went for the new one and notified the FAO office...

I renewed my SGC in January,  Warwickshire Police Firearms dept sent the reminder out 3 months before the expiry date.  Had to get the medical report doc (download from the Police firearms site) updated/signed/stamped by the GP (£65).  Submitted on Monday 16th of January, the new ticket was on the door mat the following Saturday, must have been posted on the Friday - 4 days.  I had a telephone call the following week from a FAO (cabinet still in same place, no medical conditions questions etc and so helpful) who also called my referee.

Outstanding service.  Then the new gun arrived....does one put it on the new ticket which isn't valid until 1st April or the old one?  Went for the new one and notified the FAO office...
It should go on the current valid ticket. If checked, the new ticket may not be in the system yet, as it's not valid until April (same as mine).

BTW, YOU don't put it anywhere, the person you get the gun from does that. The ONLY thing you ever write on a SGC is your signature.

I have been told that Cumbria takes up to 12 months for an SGC renewal, mine took 8 months. I live in Cumbria, not good really.
We're cumbria. Wifes renewal was sent off (on time) early Jan '22, certificate expired in April. Temporary cert arrived in Aug and as of Feb '23 still no renewal. 14 months so far for a simple renewal. It's a horrendous service.

They're currently closed to new applicants which shouldn't be allowed either.

PM.

We're cumbria. Wifes renewal was sent off (on time) early Jan '22, certificate expired in April. Temporary cert arrived in Aug and as of Feb '23 still no renewal. 14 months so far for a simple renewal. It's a horrendous service.

They're currently closed to new applicants which shouldn't be allowed either.

PM.
yes but as a Police force they haven't issued any new tickets, probably a box somewhere ticked in the league tables higher up 🤔

I have nothing for praise for Merseyside Firearms Dept.  Considering that I have had a renewal, then an issue with a gun that has led to a series of buying and selling of guns, they have been nothing short of excellent. 

Back