CPSA smiles on the north!

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

perazman

The English open sporting 2024 being held at Doveridge and the British sporting and sportrap back at Swinton again! Woo-hoo!

Does anyone know when entries open? I think entries for the British opened 1st May last time.

PM.

Entries open for the English Open tomorrow at Doveridge. £83 for what I guess is 120 bird competition?

Considering the event is heavily sponsored I'm finding that difficult to swallow.

Competition entries for normal 100 reg up here is £45.

What are others thoughts?

PM.

• Wow
Reactions: SBL
At £83 for 120 bird competition someone is making a healthy profit - what was the cost of entry last year ??

At 69 pence per target it had better be something very special, it beats me how they can justify that price

At 69 pence per target it had better be something very special, it beats me how they can justify that price
They don’t have to, they just need victims willing to pay that 😊 and plenty will. So about a £1 a target including cartridge, so don‘t miss 😂

Not sure if there is an option to go targets only, if not, it means the vast majority of entrants ( B & C class ) are simply providing the prize money for the few elite class shooters.

Should there be an entirely separate English open competition for the lower classes ?

Answers on a postcard please 🤔🤔🤔

Ok, I will bite on all those baited hooks, now Im not privy to any of the perceived masses of sponsored cash input, nor will I, on purely a lack of competitive ability (even in steerage class) going pop north to shoot it. That all said Im thinking that £83 entry (which includes the £10 comp entry) maybe a bit light for what is the 2nd most prestigious sporting competition of the year.

The ground will, prior to the event have a fair amount of expense setting up / running then taking down and returning grounds to "as before" from all of the additional facilities that it will no doubt need to provide. And there is all of the accredited referees, and added support staff, its all adds to the cost against running your regular event. The ground is a business so yes Im expecting it to run the event and make a profit.

CPSA will be mainly re-locating en-masse for the event, again all set up costs will need to be covered, all of the staff etc will require accommodation / feeding / watering etc, the event income needs to cover this too. Ive no doubt missed some other added costs, am now even more Im thinking this event may be subsidised and not a cash cow that it at first appeared.

And no Im not a CPSA nor Doveridge staff member,

Last edited:
Not sure if there is an option to go targets only, if not, it means the vast majority of entrants ( B & C class ) are simply providing the prize money for the few elite class shooters.

Should there be an entirely separate English open competition for the lower classes ?

Answers on a postcard please 🤔🤔🤔
MyWynno, you know well that does not happen at the majors. "Targets Only" option for major shots has been removed prior to 2023 season, and all of the £10 comp entry says in class. Its a feature of the event that the minor place cash in AAA always receives far less than in A B & C due to the volume of entry.

Yes there is awards / medals for each and every class and category at this event.

Approx 70 places left after entries opened 3hrs ago.

Cost obviously hasn't had any effect on numbers. It will no doubt sell out tomorrow.

PM.

To echo Richards comments… The cost of setting up and running a major competition is far greater than a standard CPSA 100 bird comp. You have to appreciate that to enable us to just turn up and shoot, the amount of work before, during and post event that we as shooters/competitors don't see all takes time and money.

Im doing the Pro One challenge instead at Barbury, which was £70 for 120 birds.
I decided at the end of last year that in 2024 I was going to shoot every major ESP & SSP that was feasible for me to get too (basically, south of Birmingham). But I have to say, the Pro One is the highlight of my shooting calendar!

Latest posts

Back