Buy out

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The primers on Fiocchi's can be deeper set than other cartridges resulting in miss fires with some firing pins (pitted ones on Brownings and the bottom barrel normally wears first). It not a quality issue as such. Given up using TT1s on my daughters Winny for this reason.

A cartridge only has 5 components, does anyone know which of these are actually made by our main manufactures in the UK. If a cartridge company buys in its components I would class it as a cartridge assembler and not a manufacturer and as such we dont really have a cartridge industry in its truest sense.

A cartridge only has 5 components.
Six, but who’s counting.

In answer to your question, not much is made in house now. Primers and powders are spot bought. Cases are usually imported too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Unsure as to how much manufacture actually takes place in the UK as eley are part of the spanish maxam group. 

Jasper.
Eley Shotgun Cartridges say "Made in EU" on the box, so Spain (Maxam) seems to be presumable.

The Eley 22 cartridges are still made in the UK, I think?

Last edited by a moderator:
Eley Shotgun Cartridges say "Made in EU" on the box, so Spain (Maxam) seems to be presumable.

This prompted me to look at some of my Eley Hawk ‘stock ‘  I’ve got various boxes of Clear Pigeon  , and Grand Prix , which say ‘made in the European Union - Great Britain’ these predate actually leaving the EU . I use  Oly Blues for clays and I’m buying these regularly by the thousand , the ones I bought last week say ‘ Made in England ‘  .  I’ve a soft spot for Eley as I started my working life at IMI (who used to own  and produce Eley products  )  , before moving to an ICI subsidiary .

I use Eley .22 subs and these are as you say are still made in the U.K. but it’s a different company to Eley Hawk / Maxam 

My Boxes of Eley Olympic Blues say "Made in EU", but no one can be sure in these days. The well known German Brands Rottweil/ RWS/ Geco have been sold to Swiss RUAG Ammotech. The Rottweil Shotgun cartridges are also made in Italy or Spain, I think.

Now RUAG sold this part of their group to Beretta. So Beretta is one of the big players with plants in Europe and the USA.

The Italians put their things together.

Just for clarity,

Eley hawk Ltd make the shotgun cartridges, eley who make the 22 are nothing to do with eley hawk, they both just occupy the same site being neighbours. 

Thank you for this Information,

I didn' t know that.

And Eley Hawk was sold to UEE (now Maxam) in 2002, says Wikipedia. Just read it after your post.

The Eley .22 is excellent, by the way.

Back