Beretta SL2 release

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's still a bit too much hype for me. I shoot two DT-11 (std. and black sporting), a A400 Black and a 692 Black (late model with the remedied ejectors), but I am tending to my two new Krieghoffs now and the DT's will go eventually. I must say that the DT-11 will be hard to superseed. The only thing I don't like about the DT is the way to tighten up the action with those forend iron bits. A bit archaic. It is the toughest and at the same time simplest shotgun that swings and works well on the market today. I can and do repair EVERYTHING in these guns myself, including the trigger group. Fantastic! This SL2 looks more like a market between the 694 (what a horrible stock design for a low gun shooter like me; the action is a redesigned late version 692; only the forearm iron design and function is new) and the DT. Going to a Boss lock action is suprising! What are they trying to fix with that? I hope that the stock dimensions don't follow the misguided 694 design! The trigger group is a redesigned but functionally identical unit to the DT group from what I can see. So what's the claim to fame for this gun??? Beretta has not made a lot of smart moves since the DT-11 and their customer service here in the US is atrocious. I am missing the point obviously. Maybe Lloyd can enlighten me. I am watching his channel frequently.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had one too. A Prevail I sporter. It had Rev 2 (or 3) of the selector thingies which are the bits that go wrong and stop the ejectors. I had no trouble with mine for about 12K rounds but when I traded it, the rubber O rings were just about finished. And all for a feature no one wanted... 🙄

It's still a bit too much hype for me. I shoot two DT-11 (std. and black sporting), a A400 Black and a 692 Black (late model with the remedied ejectors), but I am tending to my two new Krieghoffs now and the DT's will go eventually. I must say that the DT-11 will be hard to superseed. The only thing I don't like about the DT is the way to tighten up the action with those forend iron bits. A bit archaic. It is the toughest and at the same time simplest shotgun that swings and works well on the market today. I can and do repair EVERYTHING in these guns myself, including the trigger group. Fantastic! This SL2 looks more like a market between the 694 (what a horrible stock design for a low gun shooter like me; the action is a redesigned late version 692; only the forearm iron design and function is new) and the DT. Going to a Boss lock action is suprising! What are they trying to fix with that? I hope that the stock dimensions don't follow the misguided 694 design! The trigger group is a redesigned but functionally identical unit to the DT group from what I can see. So what's the claim to fame for this gun??? Beretta has not made a lot of smart moves since the DT-11 and their customer service here in the US is atrocious. I am missing the point obviously. Maybe Lloyd can enlighten me. I am watching his channel frequently.
Hey Alex, thanks for watching the show. Honestly I’m watching with interest myself to see where Beretta are going with this gun. This launch edition is at an elevated price point that is obviously not sustainable and I hope that the full production model is at an achievable price to compete with K and P guns as that’s what I *think* they are aiming for. 

The action is from The SL3 which I can tell you is an absolute honey to shoot but not a gun I will ever be able to afford for the amount of game shooting I do. 

Its a way more nimble gun that the DT which has its fair share of detractors who think they are “numb” or too bulky, and it’s built to a very high standard from what I’ve seen.

I’m looking forward to seeing the mass market launch and testing it when I can get hold of one in the UK. 

I’m looking forward to seeing the mass market launch and testing it when I can get hold of one in the UK. 
As do we. Granted I’d be a tad envious, but I hope you’ll see one soon rather than later. Perfectly happy with my guns, but still an episode I’m looking forward to. Partly because of the where how and why of this gun.

When you say its more ‘nimble’ do you mean an S03 or an SL2? As I understood, the British market has black DT11’s with steel (as opposed to carbon) ribs, so I’m curious whether there’s really a niche for a more nimble Beretta sporter than the carbon DT11 blacks.  

A Quick enquiry revealed. Only 9 coming to the UK, all sold (obviously, or given away in sponsor deals of course) RRP £26-28k for the launch edition!  and the production release due 2023, will be £22k + apparently ! So there you go, get your orders in now to avoid disappointment. Think I’ll pass on this one as lovely as it is, think the pricing maybe a bit strong, considering what else is out there at below this price point, I know where my money would be going 🤔, think Llloyd knows this already judging by his own gun choice 😉

Last edited by a moderator:
A Quick enquiry revealed. Only 9 coming to the UK, all sold (obviously, or given away in sponsor deals of course) RRP £26-28k for the launch edition!  and the production release due 2023, will be £22k + apparently ! So there you go, get your orders in now to avoid disappointment. Think I’ll pass on this one as lovely as it is, think the pricing maybe a bit strong, considering what else is out there at below this price point, I know where my money would be going 🤔, think Llloyd knows this already judging be his gun choice 😉
Wow..  I'd have thought £7 to 9k at most for a post release gun.  Makes the  proven  MX8/HT look like a bargain. 

I see the new SL2 launch editions are now starting to hit the shelves, there are currently 3 for sale on the web, all just a shade under £25k!

They might be a really good piece of kit, but that is a very decent price tag. I can't see them rushing out the door at that price.

I see the new SL2 launch editions are now starting to hit the shelves, there are currently 3 for sale on the web, all just a shade under £25k!

They might be a really good piece of kit, but that is a very decent price tag. I can't see them rushing out the door at that price.
I know a few premier distributors have already returned due due to very poor plain plank like wood 🪵 massively overpriced in my opinion. But I’m sure someone will buy it. The non launch edition due next year is still going to be around £20k as well. 

TK421 said:
I know a few premier distributors have already returned due due to very poor plain plank like wood 🪵 massively overpriced in my opinion. But I’m sure someone will buy it. The non launch edition due next year is still going to be around £20k as well. 

FBBFA3DD-6E93-4130-8462-9B08E34A1951.jpeg

It's difficult to know what to do - buy a 694 for £3,500 or pay an extra £21,500 for what looks like the same gun with some extra weight stuck on the side of the receiver, a bit of black & carbon fiber here & there, and a fancy trigger guard. I think I'll wait for the reviews.

It's difficult to know what to do - buy a 694 for £3,500 or pay an extra £21,500 for what looks like the same gun with some extra weight stuck on the side of the receiver, a bit of black & carbon fiber here & there, and a fancy trigger guard. I think I'll wait for the reviews.
Buy a 694 and a fully customized Perazzi High Tech for that money...

Or a fully custom DT11 with stocks for various disciplines and still have change for a several shooting trips abroad...

Very curious as to what would be the justification for the price point and/or the USP as opposed to even their own line-up of custom spec'd guns.   

Very curious as to what would be the justification for the price point and/or the USP as opposed to even their own line-up of custom spec'd guns.   
It's hard to work out what's going on with Beretta's product planning dept. It's all very well wanting to play in every market sector from the SP 1 and up but they now have 2 separate overlapping premium lines. No doubt the SL2 & 3 are nice guns - albeit somewhat orphan products - but where's the market?

There is an SL3 already? I would have understood an explicit sporter in the SO bracket as that seems to take a very (rich) “gentleman hunter” approach, but the SL doesn’t fit that picture (or I’m missing it). 20 grand and up for a non-custom gun that has no engraving or anything else that stands out as painstakingly hand-crafted is a tough sell in a niche where there are many alternatives. 

What it comes down to is that Beretta is rich enough that they can afford to throw it at the wall and see if it sticks. Personally I couldn't contemplate buying a shotgun that costs as much as a small car, regardless of who makes it, but those who would spend that amount probably want a bit more prestige to the brand such as Purdey, Longthorne, Fabbri etc.

Back