Zoli

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I really don't like this. A celebrity (and I use the term in the loosest possible sense) pitches up having apparently had no interest in the sport previously and the media, companies involved in the shooting industry and one or two shooters that ought to know better fawn over her in a silly attempt to raise their profile.

I wish Melanie Sykes all the best with her shooting but this unwarranted attention really is silly. There's many shooters out there who have a genuine chance of making the Olympic games yet get little or no recognition, publicity or support despite their obvious talent.

Shooting needs to get a grip. Give Mealnie Sykes credit if and when she achieves scores worthy of Olympic selection.
spot on

All this positive publicity I can see inner city kids furiously saving up £7200 for a Zoli.

its difficult to decide who is taking the proverbial out of who. But i have never ever heard of anyone getting any kind of sponsorship unless they have a proven track record this is just not how our sport works.

FloaterSi said:
Just remember, you as Gamebore and Zoli customers are paying for this. I have no problem with my cartridge manufacturer sponsoring someone worthwhile but fawning over a slapper just because she is famous is not my cup of tea, I would rather my money went to an up and coming junior.
It's not 'your' money or 'our' money... once the transaction takes place it's 'their' money... how they choose to spend it is none of your business... perhaps you will have issues on the wages Gamebore management pay themselves as you think it's 'your' money?

As for calling her a slapper...you really have some issues don't you considering you don't even know her ? and again it's really none of your business.

FloaterSi said:
Just remember, you as Gamebore and Zoli customers are paying for this. I have no problem with my cartridge manufacturer sponsoring someone worthwhile but fawning over a slapper just because she is famous is not my cup of tea, I would rather my money went to an up and coming junior.
OTT and should be removed! Potentially libellous!

There have only been a few unfortunate comments about the lady most have been about the general scenario regarding a in effect fast track.

Agree that the above comment is a bit unfair as none of us know her so should not comment so personally.

I too would rather see it removed.

Anyway we have done this to death before so can we move on please.

I think it should be left in view and the author should post an apology .

I think it should be left in view and the author should post an apology .
He's got a few strange issues going on Bryan... In the other thread he didn't want to take her home to meet his Mum...and in this thread he feels the need to abuse her...!

I am rather baffled about this Mel thing! As a sport we already have at least two beautiful young ladies who are ALREADY champions! We have Tanya Faulds who is on this forum and we have Abbey Burton,I have never met Tanya but I have met and shot with Abbey,she is a cracking looking young lady and a really nice person too,a great ambassador for our sport. Do we really need celebs such as Mel? Should the sport be promoting the lovely ladies that we already have?

It's called 'brand association' Les. To a degree, it wouldn't matter whether Mel couldn't hit a barn door with a blunderbuss, if she has the potential to raise the shooting public's perception of Zoli in the UK and abroad, then, for the price a gun, it costs them (Zoli) bugger-all, in real terms. 

Add to that the wider potential to get non-shooting females who watch daytime TV (a la 'Loose Women') in to the sport, and to be fair, they're on to a winner.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have removed some comments on here - keep it friendly people.... 

It's called 'brand association' Les. To a degree, it wouldn't matter whether Mel couldn't hit a barn door with a blunderbuss, if she has the potential to raise the shooting public's perception of Zoli in the UK and abroad, then, for the price a gun, it costs them (Zoli) bugger-all, in real terms. 

Add to that the wider potential to get non-shooting females who watch daytime TV (a la 'Loose Women') in to the sport, and to be fair, they're on to a winner.
Yes you are perfectly correct,but why does this sport not push the assets that it already has? It happens in many other sports and has done for decades!

Back to Zoli, try looking on Gunstar, Fawcetts have just listed their entire stock on there at very sensible prices. If anyone is interested in tinkling around with one, you can pick one up pretty cheaply.

I am rather baffled about this Mel thing! As a sport we already have at least two beautiful young ladies who are ALREADY champions! We have Tanya Faulds who is on this forum and we have Abbey Burton,I have never met Tanya but I have met and shot with Abbey,she is a cracking looking young lady and a really nice person too,a great ambassador for our sport. Do we really need celebs such as Mel? Should the sport be promoting the lovely ladies that we already have?
The privately owned press are well known for their attitude of "men do things, women ARE things". Please don't buy into that. We don't promote male shots on the grounds of how they look. Why does it matter what women look like so long as they are great shots? And I don't say that just because I'm old and ugly before anyone would like to throw that tired old chestnut in.

Quite right. That's using the media for business ends. It's how it currently works. It's a shame, but a lot of things in the free market aren't done for the benefit of Society. That's life. 

Jeez they are cheap ! Just not sure I'd chance my arm on one ?

The privately owned press are well known for their attitude of "men do things, women ARE things". Please don't buy into that. We don't promote male shots on the grounds of how they look. Why does it matter what women look like so long as they are great shots? And I don't say that just because I'm old and ugly before anyone would like to throw that tired old chestnut in.

Quite right. That's using the media for business ends. It's how it currently works. It's a shame, but a lot of things in the free market aren't done for the benefit of Society. That's life. 
Yes Elizabeth you are correc! I just wish that if nice looking young women are to be used to promote our sport,they should look at what we already have! Surely this sport is not going to rely on celebs such as Mel,it may well be trendy hese days but I cannot see that it is necessary.

Latest posts

Back