Way to go, Coach!

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I can find an hour slot free when Im at sporting Targets then you are werlcome to it foc, am pretty much booked out till May but sure I can move a couple of things around for you if needed.

Let me know.
You got a lot of `likes` for that Ed. I could beat you for the like quota; but only by offering a crisp £50 note to the first 20 respondants.

That's unreal!

I'm new on here but Ed seems to get loads of recommendations so big thumbs up for offereing a free lesson Ed!

Your husband perhaps just needs a lighter gun and perhaps lighter shells.

Good luck and tell him not to give up.

I hope these 'coaches' aren't registered? If they are i would report to the proper authorities.

Ed will certainly be able to sort your husband out! A lighter gun is not really the way forward, even someone of ten stone should be able to handle a gun of 8lbs or so, however if the person is not shown how to hold it or how to stand properly, there will be problems! A badly fitting gun can also cause discomfort, it's not always the weight of the gun or force of the shell that is to blame. Lighter guns can have a kick like a mule, I once had a game gun that went about 6lbs and it knocked me all over the place, and I'm 6"2" and go about 16 stone. I don't know who that instructor or his assistant were, but I reckon you need to name and shame!

I'll just add to the chorus of understandable disapproval - this 'coach's customer orientation skills need sorting out - either that, or his arse needs to be kicked to the kerb and his 'services' dispensed with. He may have been "just being honest", but he sounds like a bell-end with no discretion at all.

Sorry you and your husband had to go through this Elizabeth.

If I can find an hour slot free when Im at sporting Targets then you are werlcome to it foc, am pretty much booked out till May but sure I can move a couple of things around for you if needed.
Let me know.
Nice one Ed. See, your mum is right!
Well done mate.

Sent from my Desire HD using tapatalk 2

Just to re-iterate many of the other comments on here - this was appalling behaviour. When we are trying to encourage as many new people into the sport as possible, this sort of attitude beggars belief.

Thankfully there are many people on the forum who will help with advice and your husband should enjoy his next lesson and find out what all the fuss is really about!

Good luck.

if this so-called "coach" expressed this to his student on his first outing, he is not much of a coach.  If the "coach" brings shotguns for the student to shoot then he should have brought more than one type gun for your Hubby to shoot.  I'm not familiar with how things work on your side of the pond in that respect, but when I start a new shooter we work on many things other than actually firing the gun.  I work with youth shooters all the time and many of them are extremely petite. Your Spouse's  size has little to do with anything.  Shame on this person for calling himself  a "coach" He is nothing of the sort.  If he took any money from you, you got robbed.   ...j.

Thank you to everyone who responded to my original post. I showed this thread to my husband and it was a huge part of both making him feel better and convincing him to give shooting another go. He was more inclined to talk about it today and said that the two clays he hit were of the four shots he had with the lighter of the two guns. He's feeling a little better about it all, thanks to time and the support.

Both coaches involved are CPSA qualified. Actually, my original "coach" is an instructor but the "helper" is a full coach. I found the instructor through the CPSA website. I am happy to share names with anyone by private message. I am not going to publicly name and shame, but neither is this information a secret. I have been working with this instructor for four hours now and have progressed very well IMHO. The coach has previously been very helpful and very generous in giving advice and guidance to me. I had enjoyed the company of both of them. I do not want to mix up the actions of my instructor with the actions of the coach. The instructor was put in a very difficult position, trying to ameliorate the actions of a colleague. Luckily, the coaches are not attached to the gun club.  

I have discussed how to handle this with the director of the Eastern Region of the CPSA. Thanks to everyone who offered to take it up for me. If my husband had been put off shooting for life I would have filed complaints immediately. As it is, we are discussing the best way to proceed. 

I appreciate all the recommendations for local coaches. I will need to find someone new. It's a shame, because I got on very well with my instructor and have made good progress, but you are judged by the company you keep. I also don't care how nice you are to me, I don't care to be around someone who can be so vicious without provocation. When I told a friend about this incident he said that doing that to my husband would be like stamping on a kitten; needlessly cruel and unasked for.

Thank you to the ShootClay community for taking an interest and helping solve the problem. Now there is another chance for my husband to get to know he can enjoy the sport, and that's where I hoped we would be.

Thank you to everyone who responded to my original post. I showed this thread to my husband and it was a huge part of both making him feel better and convincing him to give shooting another go. He was more inclined to talk about it today and said that the two clays he hit were of the four shots he had with the lighter of the two guns. He's feeling a little better about it all, thanks to time and the support.

Both coaches involved are CPSA qualified. Actually, my original "coach" is an instructor but the "helper" is a full coach. I found the instructor through the CPSA website. I am happy to share names with anyone by private message. I am not going to publicly name and shame, but neither is this information a secret. I have been working with this instructor for four hours now and have progressed very well IMHO. The coach has previously been very helpful and very generous in giving advice and guidance to me. I had enjoyed the company of both of them. I do not want to mix up the actions of my instructor with the actions of the coach. The instructor was put in a very difficult position, trying to ameliorate the actions of a colleague. Luckily, the coaches are not attached to the gun club.  

I have discussed how to handle this with the director of the Eastern Region of the CPSA. Thanks to everyone who offered to take it up for me. If my husband had been put off shooting for life I would have filed complaints immediately. As it is, we are discussing the best way to proceed. 

I appreciate all the recommendations for local coaches. I will need to find someone new. It's a shame, because I got on very well with my instructor and have made good progress, but you are judged by the company you keep. I also don't care how nice you are to me, I don't care to be around someone who can be so vicious without provocation. When I told a friend about this incident he said that doing that to my husband would be like stamping on a kitten; needlessly cruel and unasked for.

Thank you to the ShootClay community for taking an interest and helping solve the problem. Now there is another chance for my husband to get to know he can enjoy the sport, and that's where I hoped we would be.
Glad to have helped. Hope he gets back to shooting very soon

Great news EHB,

tell him to join this forum and jump in (so to speak).

Once he finds a coach he gets on with he'll love it. :gaming:

WOW!  That coach is obligated to bring new people into the sport!  Getting folks excited and having fun is what it is all about.  If he was on my staff...well he wouldn't be anymore.  I can only hope the range manager saw to that! 

Really...What a bloody shame!

You and your husband ever get out Yosemite way on holiday look me up at Sun Mountain Gun Club in Coarsegold, CA and I'll put a smile on his face seeing those clays explode when he pulls the trigger.

Danny

Really pleased that your husband is feeling a little better, trying something new and awkward is never easy and shooting can be a daunting prospect, I think as many have stated a lighter gun and cartridges will help, it just takes a little time to get the hang of it, the coaches ought to have a strip torn off them, complete pillocks in my opinion, you should be proud that your husband is willing to have another go, I'm sure he will get to love it as we all have, if you have any problems any of us will be happy to try and help, I can guarantee that there are some real supportive members on the forums, they have helped me out no end, good luck to both of you and a big WELL DONE :thumbsu:

Hopefully this incident has not affected your relationship with the instructor that you where comfortable and progressing with?

Hopefully this incident has not affected your relationship with the instructor that you where comfortable and progressing with?
Yes, it has. 

The coach was so far over the line he was in a different time zone. That's not really up for debate. However, the instructor did not contradict this tirade. Had the instructor got in contact with me the following day to say that they were so sorry that this happens, that they think the coach was wrong but really letting it go was the only way they could think of to handle the situation I would have understood. It's hard to face down a bully and even harder when it's a colleague's professional opinion that you are disagreeing with.  But they didn't. Nor did they get in touch to say that they were sorry my husband was treated so badly on a course that I had booked with them, and could they make it right by giving him another go? So the instructor is therefore apparently fine with what went on. So far as they are concerned my husband should never bother to lift a gun again. Thanks to this community he has accepted Ed's kind offer of a lesson and is going to give it another go. The instructor doesn't know this. 

I haven't had many hours with this instructor. I liked them well enough before, but I feel the same way I would if someone organised an event and the invited speaker had gone off on a racist tirade. The organiser should be at least acknowledging that it shouldn't have happened. I wouldn't hold the organizer personally responsible for what the speaker said, but I would think they were responsible for shutting down the speaker and acknowledging that something which was their responsibility - the event itself - did not come up to the expected minimum standard.

OMG I have just spat my G&T reading this and I hate to waste it.

I think you should name and shame them and hopefully stop someone else being treated like that.  However 'well' I felt I was getting on with someone I am sorry all respect would have been lost after that.  I agree a call to put things right would have gone a long way and I would be dipped in the brown stuff if I would support that guy with my hard earned cash ever again.

I too am a newbie and let me tell you I would have had that chap by his short and curlies had he spoken to anyone like that let alone my loved ones.  I so hate a bloody bully!

I am so glad your hubby is giving it another go.  He will enjoy it.  Bit like mine did when he decided to take up my other passion, horse riding.  Now the bugger is better than me HUMPH :preved:

Latest posts

Back