budget starter gun

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve1970

looking for a budget starter gun for my son who has started to come with me for a round of clays more often. (instead of sharing my gun)
needs to be 12 bore probably an over and under as i will have to clean it . he is in his 20s so something full sized and not too expensive ?

What’s your budget is the obvious question ? And what are his aspirations ? There is quite a strong case for buying a brand new ATA sporter if he’s just an occasional shooter it’s a Turkish clone of the Beretta 686 . . Sure you’ll loose 60 to 80% of the value if you trade it on something better If he takes to shooting but that 80% will be less than the VAT on the cheapest of the new big brand guns . If you’re looking at ATA sort of prices , there are some brand name guns out there at around £600 second hand but you’ll be generally buying a shot out nail 9 times out of 10 .

I had a play with an ATA Sporter a couple of weekends ago and it broke some clays quite convincingly. It fits like a Silver Pigeon to me, felt nice and tight, a couple of occasional shooter friends have them and no issues so far.
Long term? who knows.

What’s your budget is the obvious question ? And what are his aspirations ? There is quite a strong case for buying a brand new ATA sporter if he’s just an occasional shooter it’s a Turkish clone of the Beretta 686 . . Sure you’ll loose 60 to 80% of the value if you trade it on something better If he takes to shooting but that 80% will be less than the VAT on the cheapest of the new big brand guns . If you’re looking at ATA sort of prices , there are some brand name guns out there at around £600 second hand but you’ll be generally buying a shot out nail 9 times out of 10 .
Don't think the residuals are holding up too bad on these Turkish guns but as you say not too much money new anyway.

i dont think he has any aspirations .,more a way of us spending time together and having fun . 0nce or twice use per month max. budget the cheaper the better really . up to ata sp price £600.

looking for a budget starter gun for my son who has started to come with me for a round of clays more often. (instead of sharing my gun)
needs to be 12 bore probably an over and under as i will have to clean it . he is in his 20s so something full sized and not too expensive ?
If you’re spending less that £600 then an ATA will suit you fine. They’re a lot of gun for the money although the trigger pulls are awful. Up to £1000 and I’d look at a used Browning/Miroku/Beretta. More gun and a better resale value should you sell it.

Last edited:
My two cents. I know more people with ATAs that have had to use the warranty than people who have had to have second hand berettas mirokus or brownings fixed. Get the best fitting best quality gun from the big 3 manufacturers you can and it will still be worth what you paid in 5 years time. Either way whatever you decide it’s all about the fun I enjoy shooting a semi auto i paid £50 for just as much as anything else 👍🏼

Last edited:
I always think that if you don't want to spend a lot on a gun get a used berretta 301/2/3. I know not quite as easy to clean but not that bad. Will hold their money and are very reliable. Not keen on very cheap o/ups. A chap came with an old Lamber the other week which ended up stuck shut with a live cartridge in.

Will these old guns be OK for steel shot? sadly we have to think ahead. At least the ATA is future proofed

Interesting topic. I took my youngest daughter's boyfriend to my rfd last weekend as he wanted a cheap o/u for some clay shooting so we looked in the bargain rack and he picked up a Miroku double trigger game gun for £100, he loved it and as he is using a s/s double trigger was no issue. He was completely comfortable with it when I popped him over to one of my perms where he happily broke the clays. Now this bargain rack has produced a few cheap guns already as I picked up a Winchester 101 28'' for a bit of pigeon shooting for £200 and lastly a Rizzini sideplate o/u with three chokes for my wife to use if she wants to have a go at the pigeon and that cost £150. The Rizzini is going with us to John Bidwell's Highlodge at the start of October as it might be fun for a bit of skeet.
None of these guns are premier guns but for the money they represent good honest value for money. If you want to check with the rfd, Crawfords Shooting Supplies in Scunthorpe, North Lincs on 01724 846 000 where I know they will send rfd to rfd.

Phil

Will these old guns be OK for steel shot? sadly we have to think ahead. At least the ATA is future proofed
Another advantage of getting an old berretta auto, the barrels are some of the best in the business, they're multichoked and being a gas operated auto it will make the sharper recoil of the steel more palatable.

I think there’s a lot of confusion over steel shot, unless you’re shooting HP steel, nitro proof is fine

I think there’s a lot of confusion over steel shot, unless you’re shooting HP steel, nitro proof is fine
Would be interested to know where Birmingham or London Proof House actually states that?

However is not interesting that the proof houses as far as i know have not actually stated, what all believe or accept as correct ie you can shoot standard steel through any nitro proofed gun with 1/2 or less choke.
If buying a gun now i would certainly want it to have the superior steel shot proofing mark.

Last edited:
I think people are panicking unnecessarily regarding the use of steel shot. I was shooting Gamebore steel cartridges through a Miroku 3800 trap gun nearly 20 years ago. The gun was 3/4 and Full and the cartridges were 70mm 28 gram 7 1/2's. I doubt I will shoot steel through my Westley Richards boxlock, but I will certainly try it through my old, but 2 3/4" chambered guns.

I put an article on here a couple of months ago asking if anyone had ever encountered a Classic Doubles Trap Pac 12 bore. Nobody had. Well, I was so taken with the gun, I have bought it. This would make an ideal 'starter' gun. Classic Doubles Trap gun 30" ported barrels with multi chokes and slightly raised rib. Both Sporting and Trap woodwork sets. This gun is virtually unused.

Attachments

• 20230829_173910.jpg
    20230829_173910.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1
  • 20230829_173919.jpg
    20230829_173919.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 1
  • 20230829_173959.jpg
    20230829_173959.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 1
  • 20230829_174016.jpg
    20230829_174016.jpg