budget starter gun

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do not think the Monte Carlo trap stock and forend have ever been on the gun. I would shoot 'standard steel' through this gun without a problem, staying with 1/2 choke or less.

Attachments

• 20230829_173653.jpg
    20230829_173653.jpg
    5.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230829_173748.jpg
    20230829_173748.jpg
    5.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230829_173959.jpg
    20230829_173959.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
I would think it was the same, although some of the Wildfowlers could answer that, remember they have been using 'alternative ' shot for some time.

What would be the max choke for 'super steel' shot if 1/2 choke is max for standard steel.
What is "super steel"? Magnum loads with up to 1050 bar gas pressure? Regular gas pressure is 750 bar for the non Magnum cartridges.
The problem is that a deformation or a ripping of the barrels could happen with too tight chokes and bigger steel shot sizes
as the steel won´t deform as well as lead does.
I use 1/4 - !/4 with steel shot and that works very well. Tighter chokes may not work well for the pattern anyway

looking for a budget starter gun for my son who has started to come with me for a round of clays more often. (instead of sharing my gun)
needs to be 12 bore probably an over and under as i will have to clean it . he is in his 20s so something full sized and not too expensive ?
Hi,

I have a Beretta 686 30" fixed choke (1/4 & 1/2) if interested
PM me if interested

1/4 choke is max for steel according to Teague.
Across the Channel, us continental shooters have fine shooting steel through tighter chokes for decades. I have used M / IM with HV steel cartridges to no uncertain effect for quite a while. My gun is fine, but of course that is a N=1 observation.

While I don't doubt the vast experience of a renowned manufacturer, his argument appears to be that "some barrels appear to ripple" if high pressure loads are shot through 1/2 and up. This begs the question, what barrels, what are those barrels proofed to, and what is considered "high pressure"? If this would be a common occurrence, I should have seen many 'rippled' barrels at my local grounds.

looking for a budget starter gun for my son who has started to come with me for a round of clays more often. (instead of sharing my gun)
needs to be 12 bore probably an over and under as i will have to clean it . he is in his 20s so something full sized and not too expensive ?
Hi Steve I have an old miroku 3800 sporter very tidy not sure on age I’ll check serial number 30 inch barrels think it’s 1/2 &1/2 choke been in my cupboard for years £600

Back