Testing Steel brands for Fitasc this Weekend

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm sure you will find they work perfectly well. We have played around with them and they are fine, lovely and smooth, break clays into a thousand pieces. The last time I saw any for sale was at Southern Counties and they were £10 per box. I think £5 a box for most of the other top class stuff is enough don't you?

More than enough in the current climate... interesting that I had my personal best score with an 'emergency purchase' of some Lyalvale Express English Sporter cartridges that previously I had frowned on... I though they shot really well, and my gun needed a light clean at most when I got home.Makes me think of the fella that told me right at the beginning "shoot whatever is cheapest - they all do much the same thing"

Very true to some extent Matt.The more cartridges you shoot the more you will realise there will be a cartridge maybe two or three that seem to fit perfect with your gun and choke combination. I recently, when I came back to the UK last have been shooting Hull Pro One and I have to say I get some really good kills with these they just seem to perform well out of my Gun for some reason. I have shot other Hull brands and the DTL version is equally as good and I believe cheaper??? I think I proved it with my recent test that you may want to buy the expensive and the branded version of what the big boys are shooting but this definitely does not mean they will perform to the best. Anybody who is a serious competition shooter will know 2 or 3 cartridges which they are confident with and will perform really well out of there chosen gun choke combo. Glen.

Yes Matt, cheapest you can and lots of them! Nothing we saw yesterday wouldnt be smoked with a 24g 8. I too shoot Pro Ones and like them because they are smooth and get more smoke than other shells Ive tried over the years, but dont feel they improve my score as such, just a nice confidence boost to see smoke. A couple of guys I coach shoot the DTL300s and they shoot very well with them, and they are softer still. Horses for courses!

Is the DTL version cheaper Ed? I wonder what the actual difference in the two is? Cheaper case and packaging???? /wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif Glen.

A bit i believe. Not the same, DTLs are notably softer still, no idea re components but another £10 a thou less I think so well worth a shout if your looking for a nice soft shell.

Sorry could not type until I stopped laughing. I have been late on this thread and just noticed a comment on a previous page.Fiocchi on the back foot after 30 yards???Try their trap cartridges not skeet cartridges silly boy pike…..they only wake up after 30 yards……..OT, ABT, UT all throw to 75meters. If you put it in the right place you get dust/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif

Last edited:
EdSolomons said:

A bit i believe. Not the same, DTLs are notably softer still, no idea re components but another £10 a thou less I think so well worth a shout if your looking for a nice soft shell.
Are they the orange/mettalicy funny coulured cased ones??? If that makes sense??? Those were the ones I used and seemed just as good as the normal Pro Ones to me???? Glen.

when I worked in the gun shop I had my choice of any of the Hull range and the DTL 300 8's were my choice and that's over Sovereigns too, although I love the Sovereign Fitasc 8's, the dtl's are soft - fairly fast but their kills were brilliant for Sporting especially edge on targets, I personally think there are no really bad shells out there now but you need to get confidence from what ever you shoot and all the better if they're as cheap as they come, here Eley Olympics are the cheapest shell around at £140/£145 and every one use's them apart from a few Hull or Fiocchi die-hards, under 45 yards even the quality of today's 21grms will shoot average Sporting targets well.

Yes glen they are the ones! Not saying they are worse than the originals at all: recoil wise they are even better! As far as I'm concerned though it will take a lot to pull me off a shell I've shot for years and get the breaks/confidence with. I know if I miss upto 85 odd yards it's me not the shell! As nige said, 300s are cracking shell.

Yeah I shot them the time before i came back last and they were just as good as the pro ones I found but then I am not shooting every weekend anymore and i would shoot one shell brand. Glen.

There is *nothing* that ignites this forum like a debate about Cartridges... Sits back - makes popcorn... 

they throw to 75 Nic but try shooting them before they get that far, you will hit more ;-) I think my little old pro ones won the smoke battle on Sunday, next time your up we will hop on abt and see what the kills look like :) x

Mmmmm Nic sneak some 36 gram bombs in!!! ;-)Then again you can try the 24grammers we all know how much you like those!!!! /wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif

Yeap you know Glen.....those 24 gram out at the end of the area can really smoke it if you get it spot on....a good 70+ mtrs. In the past at both UT and ABT I have missed with the first barrel and then rode it out for a boundry splat just before landing.....and it really peves me when the ref honks a second loss/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif before I have fire the second shot. Obviously another unbeliever/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-confused.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-confused.gifGive me time I say............. as he is altering the score to kill!!!! and wondering how to back up the auto score board/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-surprised.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-surprised.gifThanks Ed......where is the fun with the easy route/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif .....Spanky bottom time for the Ouch!!! as Ed was correctly making a valid point.......don't leave em too long when they are going away from you/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-wink.gifHey Ed, you can hit 90+ at Horne with a cricket bat can't you? Even I might manage 70 with a gun /wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-surprised.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-surprised.gifThen again.........no .....!!

:-D get your thinking cap on for a trip up my way day after your owls nest day out!! Before I put the beast away for the winter.

EdSolomons said:

:-D get your thinking cap on for a trip up my way day after your owls nest day out!! Before I put the beast away for the winter.
now there's an idea Ed -- that would give me time to get things into place if the invite was still open to me ?  Nigel   /wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-embarassed.gif

Always open Nige. I talked to Ed about this but did not mention it when you said about the costs of the flights and the passports. So could you be on for it after all?

If you make it up for a 100reg on Sunday nige the shells are on me for you and the lad. Plus you should be right next to east mids airport.

Back