Pattern testing and related ballistic analysis if steel and other non-toxic alternatives

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Also,  just for info  Teague chokes are already continuously tapered  , they term this “Teague Taper Technology “   
In the early '90s I had a 682 unsingle barrel for a short time that had been "tuned" by an enthusiastic by wholly incompetent self proclaimed gunsmith.  His machinist skills were nonexistent for all practical purposes.  At any rate the (I'm guessing) unpiloted reamer left ripples for the entire length of the barrel.  The original choke had been eliminated  and the bore tapered from where the choke had been to the muzzle which was still around 0.040".  The thing patterned like hammer.  Easily as good as the original likely did.  I have no idea why or how except to suggest that shotguns are so primitive that relative levels of primitive are of little consequence.  

Teague may want to explore the Ripple Barrel Technology to enhance the Taper Technology.  Seems like I read that the "chamberless" guns at the turn of the 20thCentury had taper chokes as well.  I could be wrong on that but there is likely nothing new is choke configuration for prolly the past 80-90yrs.

just a thot

I hear folk say steel can be ok to break a clay to around 50 yards but that at that range the pellet size needs to be #2 which obviously is way larger than has been acceptable on most clay grounds for lead cartridges - and that for larger live quarry like a mature cock pheasant the viable range is 30 yards again with #2 - but that seems from what I have seen to be more assertion that the product of any test work 

Is this accurate and verified?
Hang on.. I think I have an old print with impact energy at various ranges and sizes  for steel, bismuth and lead it’s in Danish however I will try translate the important things. I actually think it is an English study. 

Lars

Found it.  I’ll try to translate and explain as best as I can, but should be almost self explanatory 

Stål=Steel. Bismuth same Bly=Lead. 
Hagl i mm= Pellet size in MM ( you have a conversion chart in small box lower left).

Distance is in meters, do your on conversion to imperial.

First chart is energy in a pellet at various distances from 20-50 meters measured in joules (I can see what that means to laymen). Second chart is energy density pr pellet in joule/mm2. Have no effin clue what I can use that for/to.

apperently when you see the source it’s University of London that have made it. But if it is biased or not I have no clue.

I know the right part is missing (pellet size 4,1mm) for lead. Not a technical error on my part, but the printer that printed the document. 

Lars

F692E555-7CF1-49D7-BCAA-B4497755FE63.jpeg

So - to summarize - if you are looking for the app. same amount of energy that you get with Lead, you need to go 0.1mm up with Bismuth and 0.2mm with Steel?

"doesn't touch your barrels until its about a barrel length out of the gun"? That would be some trick!

Better ask our resident scientist,he know doubt will be able to explain it consicely in laymans terms.
so how do you explain the pictures ?

so how do you explain the pictures ?
Don't need to explain the pictures.

I don't think you are reading what you typed? 

If something is 32" away from something how can it possibly touch it?

Thats of course unless it was a Quantum event.

Did you mean it would not expand enough to touch the barrels if it were still in them until it was 32" away from them?

But as the barrels prevent the shot cup expanding the lead could not touch it anyway.

• Thanks
Reactions: ips

Did you mean it would not expand enough to touch the barrels if it were still in them until it was 32" away from them?

But as the barrels prevent the shot cup expanding the lead could not touch it anyway.
I might be a great big thicko but if the shot is encapsulated in a cup wad then whatever the shot is made of (steel in the case of this debate) can't contact the barrell so whats the problem....apart from the fact that apparently steel doesnt kill as well....surely there must be a softer "model" of steel or summat else that can do a "similar" job as lead ????

I might be a great big thicko but if the shot is encapsulated in a cup wad then whatever the shot is made of (steel in the case of this debate) can't contact the barrell so whats the problem....apart from the fact that apparently steel doesnt kill as well....surely there must be a softer "model" of steel or summat else that can do a "similar" job as lead ????
Yes, it's called Gold. 

Bloody post is missing about 2/3 of the sentence! :)  

Latest posts

Back