Sporting with a trap gun or `vice versa

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

martin_b

Guy's as an early retirement present to myself I want to buy one good gun C£7K, question is  I shoot both Trap and Sporting about 50/50, and Im a OK shoot, with no aspirations of Olympic selection! so is it easier to shoot sporting with a trap gun or visa versa?  I'm leaning towards a trap gun, less strain on my neck, but have never tried a sporting layout with one. 

cheers

martin

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Martin Plenty of opinion on here regarding that subject.... Nothing wrong with a trap gun for sporting, try a MK 38 miroku grade 5 trap, and spend the remaining 5k on a good holiday, it will be the only gun you ever need..... Tin hat ready 

Welcome to the forum:)

I'll start by getting the popcorn in, and predict the thread will run to 4 pages,  not bad for a newby on his first post ;)  

If you have  no aspirations for the olyimpics, then shoot whatever you find comfortable i'd say,  

no doubt the trappies will be along shortly extolling the virtues of the dark arts ;)    as will the sporting types with there own brand of enchantment :)

For the record, i shoot a 686 e and shoot sprting and some trap, i still miss at both 

You could always get one of them single barrelled shell spitters and really start a healthy debate

:santa:

Sure, no reason why not.  I shoot a K80 Pro Sporter that has a custom comb piece, making the gun parallel and it shoots 70/30 and it's essentially set up like a Trap gun.  I can shoot it for anything and well too.  Sporting and Skeet guns are slowly morphing into a form that was solely utilized for Trap, but are now quite commonplace in competition.

I have always use a trap gun for Sporting, as did my late dad and also many of the top shots looking at pictures in the Mags etc. I like the vision afforded by the Higher comb and rarely have to compensate for them shooting high. My latest acquisition is an MX8 with a monte-carlo stock. I can see a lot of rib looking down it but it doesn't seem to shoot that high. Best advice is to try some before you take the plunge though.

Hi Martin Plenty of opinion on here regarding that subject.... Nothing wrong with a trap gun for sporting, try a MK 38 miroku grade 5 trap, and spend the remaining 5k on a good holiday, it will be the only gun you ever need..... Tin hat ready 
Very true Miroku trap guns make brilliant sporters more so the 3800, most of the top sporting shooters used one. but i would never shoot trap with a sporter !

have to agree with mr Rowley  miroku mk38 trap  30 or 32 inch  grade 5   will do the business all round ,  ease the chokes a tad  and you have a quality gun  for a life time , excellent build quality  cosmetically beautiful  in my opinion  and no wear near 7k    its a win win situation ,   adj comb  fitted at doveridge  would complete the package  .   :cool:  

Trap spec for sure, for that money you could get a good Nic 2nd hand K80, perazi etc.

its nice to have nice kit :)

Alen rowley has freind who is i recon one of the best all round vet shots in the country,and uses one gun for everything and i meen everything and its a trap gun.

Alen rowley has freind who is i recon one of the best all round vet shots in the country,and uses one gun for everything and i meen everything and its a trap gun.
He does Paul , and it's fixed 3/4 and full, I think I beat him once, I remember him telling me to savour the moment... Coz it wouldn't happen again.... And it hasn't 

It all depends on what your description of a Trap gun is, plenty of world titles have been won with low rib guns that essentially shoot where you look and the only thing that gives them away as Trap is the beefier looking and higher combs, these would be perfectly comfortable on the Sporting scene and truth be told most top level shooters' guns are pretty close to this spec.

Then there is the Look at Me Trap guns  :D  which nearly always have some sort of raised rib (maybe adjustable for POI) often with barrel hangers and fairly upright grips which coupled to their sometimes rather heavy overall weight can make them a handful on all but odd the Sporting stand. 

I have always maintained that so long as POI is not silly high most people would (eventually) benefit from a higher comb set up, I am also convinced beyond reasonable doubt that lowish ribs are better all rounders and since ESP includes a fair proportion of easy going aways as well as trickier shallow angle quartering birds then the choice should be a no brainer. 

As Ed says get yourself a high end Perazzi or K80 second hand and enjoy the good engineering, personally I'd include a new DT11 (with Trap stock) or used DT10EELL in that search. The Miroku G5 is a sound gun but getting one when you can slap £7k on the table is like driving a Skoda Yeti when you have the money for a Cayenne. 

Just about everyone I have known  that was around when I Started on the Late 80s and have progressed to a decent level uses.a Trap Gun or slightly modified Trap gun. 

I also know some one who used the same gun for everything. Including Geese. 

Trap with a sporter is generally hard work. 

A used Perazzi MX12 SC3 may fit the bill. Same as an MX8 with coil springs and with a fixed trigger group. 

He does Paul , and it's fixed 3/4 and full, I think I beat him once, I remember him telling me to savour the moment... Coz it wouldn't happen again.... And it hasn't 
I was level with him the other week after first 50 and thought i would do him but the wheels fell off,ill get him one day.

Trap spec for sure, for that money you could get a good Nic 2nd hand K80, perazi etc.

its nice to have nice kit :)

It all depends on what your description of a Trap gun is, plenty of world titles have been won with low rib guns that essentially shoot where you look and the only thing that gives them away as Trap is the beefier looking and higher combs, these would be perfectly comfortable on the Sporting scene and truth be told most top level shooters' guns are pretty close to this spec.

I have always maintained that so long as POI is not silly high most people would (eventually) benefit from a higher comb set up, I am also convinced beyond reasonable doubt that lowish ribs are better all rounders and since ESP includes a fair proportion of easy going aways as well as trickier shallow angle quartering birds then the choice should be a no brainer. 

As Ed says get yourself a high end Perazzi or K80 second hand and enjoy the good engineering, personally I'd include a new DT11 (with Trap stock) or used DT10EELL in that search. The Miroku G5 is a sound gun but getting one when you can slap £7k on the table is like driving a a Skoda Yeti when you have the money for a Cayenne. 
Pretty much what Ed and Hammy said, don't be tempted by anything beretta if your budget is as much as £7k...personally if I was in your shoes, I'd be looking for a Krieghoff K80 Supersport wearing a Trap stock and take a lesson from a coach who shoots a Krieghoff to set it up and teach you how to shoot it...Ben/Ed you choose...

Using a 7K gun does not make you hit more targets, using a gun that does the job your doing does...................K80 my ass

I don't think he's under the illusion that a 7k gun will hit more than a 2k gun, but if he wants to spend 7k on something nice good for him!

I don't think he's under the illusion that a 7k gun will hit more than a 2k gun, but if he wants to spend 7k on something nice good for him!
I suppose it will hold its money better than a motor if its bling he wants :wink:

Latest posts

Back