Sporting Shoots; where- and how was it? (2018)

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First time out of the training stand and shooting on the ground properly.  Boy what a difference.......  my paltry 23/50 may to some look poor, but I felt over the moon with it, just under 50% and I am very happy indeed.  Some head scratchers, but on the whole I really enjoyed the morning out at Chalky Hill.   I still have some much to learn and shooting on my own probably did not help either.  No matter, I will be back and enjoying a new sport.
Good start, I have only started myself this year and have been shooting 100 sporting. My first outing was a 48 then got to the mid to high 50's (which I was really pleased with), recently I have got into the 60's with my best being a 67 and 69. I have done this shooting on my own (my wife is my button pusher) although now I feel that I will require a lesson to progress further.

Although it is not always progression you will have some weeks that go backwards, the main thing is to enjoy it, including the frustration.😊

Had my first attempt at Compak today at Westfield. Smiles all round and some entertaining targets. Yes, some easier birds combined with the ability to double barrel the singles. Enjoyable discipline though and I’m pretty sure the ground will be hosting more in the future. 

Ended on 89/100. No idea what class I’ll be in as was going in to it unclassified. 
Same rules apply, mid period 300 targets to ask / get a temporary classification or await end period where min 100 targets (after adj if 100 is made up of sub 100 target shoots) will be used to class you. You did, as youve never shot it before go T/O I take it? 

Same rules apply, mid period 300 targets to ask / get a temporary classification or await end period where min 100 targets (after adj if 100 is made up of sub 100 target shoots) will be used to class you. You did, as youve never shot it before go T/O I take it? 
Yep. Looking at the cut offs I will be in B class....assuming no more shooting until period is over.

The scores this weekend, in B class, were quite strong.

Tim Simmons 99

Sam Usher 98

Rob Gray 97

"ability to double barrel the singles" didn't think that was allowed in Compak?
I thought it was full use of the gun on singles, but you must shoot at both targets on pairs, no double barrel at only one of the targets. Maybe wrong, as I don't shoot any discipline with the "fitasc premium" attached.

Last edited by a moderator:
After looking at the rules i can find no mention of it and you are correct about doubles,maybe that's where i made the mistake.

"Because they look very similar, Compak Sporting and Sportrap are easily confused. However, Compak Sporting has one less stand and a different order of shooting. There are three compulsory target trajectories, right to left, left to right and straight on, with two additional trajectories at the designers discretion. Five traps will be used to provide a variety of targets and a sign in front of each enclosure will inform the shooter of the combination of shots."

Amazing that they think there are 4 stands in compak when fitasc say 5 and they say 5 traps when fitasc say 6?

Little confusion on numbers for Compak Sporting

Its 6 traps per layout (numbered A-F)

5 Shooting stands (numbered 1-5)

6 Shooters per squad (‘spare’ shooter waits behind stand 1)

And to confirm

There are the three compulsory trap trajectories,  but all targets must cross the fly over zone (35-40M x 25M rectangle) at some point

Full use of gun on singles

Only one shot at each target in doubles

Layout menu will be one of the 40 predefined options 

If shooting line system, everyone starts on stand 1, going in 1st cage once previous shooter has moved to stand 2.

Regards

Leigh

I did the STR Reg at EJ Churchill today. I have really enjoyed this at the last two events, which have been laid out quite differently too. The entry isn’t very large and I would encourage anybody who can make it to get along next month. 

I started poorly, missing well in front. I so often do this and have to give way less lead than feels right at the beginning of a day. It cost me 5 on the first half of the first layout, which was certainly not the hardest one.

Layout 2 was fairly steady, so just one soppy miss for 24. A few daft misses for 22 on layout 3 before a decent 23 on the final one which everybody found the hardest. Just proves I dial in as I go along.. So an 89 that I might have made 93 with a warm up first. Two 91s were leading when I left.. I’m not unhappy; STR isn’t my top game. A top shot should do a 95+.

I’m heading for a rare FSP outing on Saturday (speaking of things that aren’t my top game.. 😆 ).

Sorry to blurt about my shooting. Maybe writing down my errors might make them go away next time. 😀

I did the STR Reg at EJ Churchill today. I have really enjoyed this at the last two events, which have been laid out quite differently too. The entry isn’t very large and I would encourage anybody who can make it to get along next month. 

I started poorly, missing well in front. I so often do this and have to give way less lead than feels right at the beginning of a day. It cost me 5 on the first half of the first layout, which was certainly not the hardest one.

Layout 2 was fairly steady, so just one soppy miss for 24. A few daft misses for 22 on layout 3 before a decent 23 on the final one which everybody found the hardest. Just proves I dial in as I go along.. So an 89 that I might have made 93 with a warm up first. Two 91s were leading when I left.. I’m not unhappy; STR isn’t my top game. A top shot should do a 95. 

I’m heading for a rare FSP outing on Saturday (speaking of things that aren’t my top game.. 😆 ).

Sorry to blurt about my shooting. Maybe writing down my errors might make them go away next time. 😀
Note in your shooting glasses box..."don't overdo it" 😉

Nice trip out to Gatton Bottom this morning.  My first Reg shoot in a month and I didn't do too badly.  Quite a few sloppy misses and irritatingly a couple of occasions where I was reasonably well on a pair and then let myself start thinking about where my score was going, resulting in dropped clays.  I even managed to only miss the first bird on the platform stand, which I'm pleased with as the colour choice for those clays wasn't at all good.  Finished on 80.

Nice trip out to Gatton Bottom this morning.  My first Reg shoot in a month and I didn't do too badly.  Quite a few sloppy misses and irritatingly a couple of occasions where I was reasonably well on a pair and then let myself start thinking about where my score was going, resulting in dropped clays.  I even managed to only miss the first bird on the platform stand, which I'm pleased with as the colour choice for those clays wasn't at all good.  Finished on 80.
I had a poor day there, as you witnessed! Specifically three particularly damaging stands, missing 4, 4 and 3. I just couldn’t hit stuff I needed to point at. Maybe confused after Fitasc yesterday, I dunno.. 

I think Horne really could do better. All but two targets were edgey no lead things. It felt like rifle practice. 

I had a poor day there, as you witnessed! Specifically three particularly damaging stands, missing 4, 4 and 3. I just couldn’t hit stuff I needed to point at. Maybe confused after Fitasc yesterday, I dunno.. 

I think Horne really could do better. All but two targets were edgey no lead things. It felt like rifle practice. 
They always seem to like edgy targets that are easy to do too much with. My worst stand was 8, where I overled the first bird and even missed one of the going away loopers up the left hand side for a 4.

Horne was our second shoot today and we were among the last shooters.  Young lad on stand 11 sim pair incoming crow thing and going away bird.  He’d been scoring wrong all day.  I missed the first bird and the on report second bird was a no bird, shot the pair again hit the first and second and scored me both.  Tony corrected my score with him and he said he done it that way all day!!!!!!  Platform had very silly colours missed 3 green and 1 white.  Finished on 82.  I too missed odd stupid ones.  Fairly blowy in the afternoon and some did succumbed to the wind.   Four counties first too many sim 5 pairs for my liking really, not that hard in places but I still missed them.  Best bird was near the club house in the field I thought.  Lovely big looper.  76 was poor to finish on today for me.

seems the course setters guild have united on the " give it anything and you miss infront " weekend Will ??? saying that a slow dropping crosser thing at 40m today at SW2000 should ,and my head told me 4 out of the 5 times of wanted a gap ...nope !!! at it haha but hell I find trying to shoot the F3 pro like a rifle so mundane , std after std and so hard to do ?? 

I mentioned the lack of imagination in Hornes' targets elsewhere,a lovely young lady called Michelle showered me with abuse...think i hit a nerve😏

Ashley clay shoot in Devon today,lovely little shoot in a steep sided valley giving target presentations you just don't get to see most places.

Really enjoyed it some great targets and easier and quicker to get to then Meadowcroft which is 30 miles closer where we also went after!

Like  mini Wylye in some ways,how i miss that place😥

Four counties first too many sim 5 pairs for my liking really, not that hard in places but I still missed them.  Best bird was near the club house in the field I thought.  Lovely big looper.  76 was poor to finish on today for me.
The monotony of the multiple sim pair thing at 4C drove us away today. Only other place was Horne.. Roll on Steve Lovatt opening up in Goldalming Surrey. March I believe. Can’t come soon enough. 

Back