Shoot reports and news 2024

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
(y)(y)I think most people were missing the midi in front because it started off so fast
The teal was easy to miss, not because it was difficult but because we tend to rush it
I find teal difficult especially if they are a bit further out. My perception is off. I hit more than I used to but they still get me. Same with the going away thing it was with. So annoying.

Churchills yesterday. Sun out, not much of a breeze, it was lovely after shooting in drizzle and gales for so long. Bit of a change, with refs on each stand, but all ran smoothly and no waits on any stands for my squad. Think I prefer it the way they used to do it though, bit more banter with the refs that way. I enjoyed the course, only two targets that really caught me out - rl crosser along the bank from the scaffold and a quartering away target on one of the skeet layouts. dropped three of each of those. Otherwise it was a typical round of the odd ones or two away. Finished on 83, which I was happy with.

Churchills for us too. I did see you Jenny when I was on stand 10 and you were walking back to club house but you weren’t looking my way!

Bad start for me, dropping 11 on first 3 stands 🫣. I just hate shooting from them bloody wooden boxes, they are just so high! Platform stand I did the same, dropped 3 of the r-l white targets. Shot quite well after that but the damage was already done and ended up on a lowly 73.

Seemed to be quite a few mix ups yesterday, I know one friend of ours was given 3 different start times, every time he went up to shoot they told him they’d moved him to a different time and the 2 gentlemen in our squad had been mucked about as they’d overbooked some squads and we were the 3rd squad they’d been allocated to after being booked in originally an hour before we started.

Was nice to shoot in the sun must admit. Phil and our friend shot their semi autos as they are doing the semi auto comp on Saturday at Barbury so thought they’d better get them out and dust them off!

Had a nice outing to Thimbleby on Saturday with my youngest lad (17). Approx 6 months since he last came out but as usual from the first clay he shoots great. Can’t imagine how good he might be if he was actually interested and used a left handed gun, im right. 100 around Spennymoor on Sunday and it’s a tale of 2 half’s. The difficulty on the high group of stands, well it’s tough. Come down to the lower stands and it’s a lot more realistic. Not sure on the scores but a very pleasant weekend.
Happy birthday Sian.

Orston for me on Sunday, it was the Notts county champs and a Derbyshire selection shoot (i was just there for a standard registered as i'm neither county) so turn out was very strong indeed. Turn out 2 weeks prior was around 96, this week was 202. Took just over 2 hrs to shoot which wasn't bad, nice steady run with no major hold ups. Nice course from Orston again, nothing majorly hard or long distance, but plenty to test your concentration. Nice mix of stands with shooting from platforms and the top of bunds at targets below your feet. Finished on 87 which I was pretty pleased with. My next registered will be my first ever visit to Doveridge for the English.

Barrow for me on Sunday, first time this year. Back to being cold and windy! One stand I struggled with, a nasty sim pair of left to rights, first bird going like a bat out of hell, only hit it once. The rest of the course was littered with lots of stupid misses due to lack of concentration or me starting to overthink it. Another round with half the stands seeing me drop a single target. If I can hit 7 I really should be hitting 8! Anyway, finished on 75, so not a disaster, but felt like I should have found at least 5 more on that course.

So Monday @ the Essex Masters.

Firstly it was drive for me – 6am up and 7am in the car for a (rushing) 10am arrival. I also, given it was not a registered shoot, decided to take out the 682 Gold. It’s just had a adjustable stock fitted to it (Jason Sivitar) and which, apart from 75 cartridges last Wednesday (to set it up) I hadn’t used properly for a good few years.

Both courses were very do-able. The usual (for John Dyson) clays which are not what they seem and the use of the banks (on the red course) created a few issues with being under or over the clay. Nothing silly distance wise and ¼ & ½ chokes were adequate – I used a handful of close ranges cartridges and the same of Fiocchi Rossas (for distance). The last stand on the red course was very hard (0/4) and the top stand on the black had a battue turning which was actually drifting away from you (5/8).

Some technical clays and I would say the second target hold point is key for quite a few pairs.

We missed the rain and the wind only affected a couple of clays.

Only one wait for a trap repair.

Me – 75/79 (Red/Black)- thus 77 average

Daughter – 58/69 (Red/Black) – thus 63 average.

Just to put the scores into context my (CPSA) average is 77 and my daughter’s is 66. The black was the easier of the two layouts. The trees (on the red layout) do play tricks.

So Monday @ the Essex Masters.

Firstly it was drive for me – 6am up and 7am in the car for a (rushing) 10am arrival. I also, given it was not a registered shoot, decided to take out the 682 Gold. It’s just had a adjustable stock fitted to it (Jason Sivitar) and which, apart from 75 cartridges last Wednesday (to set it up) I hadn’t used properly for a good few years.

Both courses were very do-able. The usual (for John Dyson) clays which are not what they seem and the use of the banks (on the red course) created a few issues with being under or over the clay. Nothing silly distance wise and ¼ & ½ chokes were adequate – I used a handful of close ranges cartridges and the same of Fiocchi Rossas (for distance). The last stand on the red course was very hard (0/4) and the top stand on the black had a battue turning which was actually drifting away from you (5/8).

Some technical clays and I would say the second target hold point is key for quite a few pairs.

We missed the rain and the wind only affected a couple of clays.

Only one wait for a trap repair.

Me – 75/79 (Red/Black)- thus 77 average

Daughter – 58/69 (Red/Black) – thus 63 average.

Just to put the scores into context my (CPSA) average is 77 and my daughter’s is 66. The black was the easier of the two layouts. The trees (on the red layout) do play tricks.
Thanks for the feedback. I'm shooting it on Thursday so fingers crossed, I'l miss the rain too!

Latest posts

Back