Sporting Shoots; where- and how was it? (2018)

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Morning everyone 

ive only just looked at this post after being tipped the wink so to speak 

safety , is more most paramount concern , i havent had chance to get back to Westfield ghis week but the rabbit in question was set to run up the hill at an angle sort of away from the shooter so the shot if it did bounce would go into no mans land .all i can think is it might have come a little loose on the clamping bolts and vibrated around a little , bit i will check .

the sun , as most of you know the last few shoots here have been on a different path way , this one had to be changed as the low sun now is a pain looking that way at Westfield . The only stand that couldve possibly been a problem on sunday was the one at the top of the valley with a low invomer and an overhead bird . It was set so if it was a bright day you could stand to shoot the incomer which was a low orange std then turn away a little and shoot the other bird as an overhead going away as it was running kind of parallel with the hedge so out of the sun , if you planted your feet and shot it as a crosser then yes this couldve been an issue .it didnt seem a problem as one of the last to check in and shoot round was the high gun of the day on 97 .

difficulty of targets , Westfield still carries the label of being the hardest shoot around . In days gone by i would agree with this but now peoples tastes have changed i have chsnged the style a little and the birds i present here 

i am completely flexible on this and can present what ever the mass of people want to shoot , but after travelling around quute slot i think people want to break clays , as one top shot told me recently “ it aint much fun keep missing “ !!!!

refs , over this last year I realised the refs side of this game is getting critical as all the existing ones are getting older , the qualified ones are taken away for major and championship shoots so it needs addressing , i have bought in an element of the younger generation now around 15 to 17 year olds and to be honest the feed back ive had off shooters about them has been fantastic .most refs all bring there own ppe and if they dont they are in my Clubhouse’s freely available ready for use .

i can only tell them to dress for the weather as i tell them in the summer to get sun cream on !!!! 

Im saddened to here these negative comments on what is up there with any of the best venues in the uk today , so on this occasion all i can do is apologise to anyone that experienced a less than great day anf rest assured it wont happen again 

thankyou for all your continued support steve 

EJC today and glad the rain stayed away although the gloomy light was a reminder of what’s to come over the next few months.  We started on the first Skeet range the yellow/green and the orange sim pair.  I started badly on this and got 4/10.  Never good for me to start so badly but I fought the urge to mope about it.  Enjoyed the round in good company ended badly on stand 12 dropping 3. Shot some good scores on stands in between.  Finished on 79.  Always good to see the usual reprobates going round.

First time back out for ages, and a big thanks to Lauren & Graham at Owls Lodge near Winchester. Went down after the rain, had 100 birds in mind... ended up absent-mindedly blasting through all 150 cartridges I took! 😄 Graham went round with me and was great in what he was chatting to me about, nothing too pushy, just words here and there. Introduced me to DTL which seemed an interesting diversion and might have a pop at that as I hit most of them. Ended up having a 5 bird spread from in front of the tower for my last cartidges in the box: one from behind, a l-r crosser, a high r-l crosser from the tower, a teal and a r-l looper and did them all so a very satisfactory end to the day. Half an hour to get there, definitely going again. 👍

First time back out for ages, and a big thanks to Lauren & Graham at Owls Lodge near Winchester. Went down after the rain, had 100 birds in mind... ended up absent-mindedly blasting through all 150 cartridges I took! 😄 Graham went round with me and was great in what he was chatting to me about, nothing too pushy, just words here and there. Introduced me to DTL which seemed an interesting diversion and might have a pop at that as I hit most of them. Ended up having a 5 bird spread from in front of the tower for my last cartidges in the box: one from behind, a l-r crosser, a high r-l crosser from the tower, a teal and a r-l looper and did them all so a very satisfactory end to the day. Half an hour to get there, definitely going again. 👍
Great registered sporting and Sportrap there every month and some on Saturdays.

I had a shocker, but got to watch Hamid. 😆

My last two shoots went OK but nothing made sense today. I cocked up my clothing and was freezing which didn’t help. EJC felt testing on almost every stand today, so if off form it was always going to punish you. Never mind, shoot another day..

I had a shocker, but got to watch Hamid. 😆

My last two shoots went OK but nothing made sense today. I cocked up my clothing and was freezing which didn’t help. EJC felt testing on almost every stand today, so if off form it was always going to punish you. Never mind, shoot another day..
We need to fatten you up, I spent most of the shoot in a thin top!

EJC today and glad the rain stayed away although the gloomy light was a reminder of what’s to come over the next few months.  We started on the first Skeet range the yellow/green and the orange sim pair.  I started badly on this and got 4/10.  Never good for me to start so badly but I fought the urge to mope about it.  Enjoyed the round in good company ended badly on stand 12 dropping 3. Shot some good scores on stands in between.  Finished on 79.  Always good to see the usual reprobates going round.
79 seems to be your default score at the moment  :wink:

Honesberie today. It was chilly, annoyingly damp and the course was tough. But I enjoyed it! Had the usual 5 or 6 stupid misses on simpler targets that I’m doing lately, so my 82 should have been higher. Only one moan for the unfair clay on stand 6? A fully extended cherry picker was in front and left of the cage, throwing a full spring away target. I never touched it, like most people. One of the ground staff admitted it was daft. So felt rather like a 96 bird shoot. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Stayed local today, went to Mill Farm near Pevensey for a 70 bird practice.  I was shooting fairly well, but kept dropping a target every now and again.  Finished on 62 without straighting a single stand!

Honesberie today. It was chilly, annoyingly damp and the course was tough. But I enjoyed it! Had the usual 5 or 6 stupid misses on simpler targets that I’m doing lately, so my 82 should have been higher. Only one moan for the unfair clay on stand 6? A fully extended cherry picker was in front and left of the cage, throwing a full spring away target. I never touched it, like most people. One of the ground staff admitted it was daft. So felt rather like a 96 bird shoot. 
Agree with stand 6. Thought stand 9 was carp too. Impossible for the poor lass scoring to actually make a good call with black clays on a poor dark tree background at some people's  Kill point. She was asking us what the result was.🤔

Jasper.

Agree with stand 6. Thought stand 9 was carp too. Impossible for the poor lass scoring to actually make a good call with black clays on a poor dark tree background at some people's  Kill point. She was asking us what the result was.🤔

Jasper.
Yes if you left them late it was tough. Can you believe I hit all the long ones and only the first closer one. Knob..

After a partridge day yesterday it was a return to the clays today. Honesberie, for the series final. 

I really liked the shoot, I'll agree on stand 6 as I couldn't connect with it but I saw others manage it so obviously doable. I enjoyed stand 9, not often you get to shoot big gaps like that. Dropped two there where I didn't give them enough respect.

After a long journey home last night and an early start today I knew I wasn't going to be setting any records. Managed 72 which should have been closer to 80 without the sloppiness and lethargy. 

That's now the winter season started. Time to screw some extra choke in and try to sharpen up a bit 😃

I got one 

Honesberie for us today.  Shot in the final in the blinking rain but managed after a shoot off with Amy to take second place.  I quite enjoyed the Sporting although I shot it poorly.  I liked both stand 6 and 9 but didn’t like the sim orange/pink going away missing 4 pink  - hard on my eyes those two together.  And with the orange one up the earth mound.   The floaty one on the stand by the little brook missed 3!  Think I used up all my concentration on the final.

Latest posts

Back