Sporting Shoots; where- and how was it? (2018)

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I told my RFD where I was shooting, now I understand the comment he made "You'll learn a lot about shooting there". 

I didn't find the shoot particularly hard, but not easy either. Certainly within my current ability. Thinking back there was nothing that was a real challenge and at my stage I expected to be severely challenged, so I guess that speaks volumes.

My local shoot does a non competitive 50 bird on Sundays that has me working harder.

Methinks I just picked the wrong place.

Old Glossop clays runs a 100 bird registered every few weeks which is not far away. Perhaps that should be my next step.
As the other good shooters on here have said, go to a decent open or registered shoot, you will find the shooters helpful (if you want it) and friendly.  You soon get to recognise the faces as we all seem to go to the same places! Just a good morning etc as your walking to stands and people will respond, get to know you and will give you the time of day.

You don’t need/want to shoot with idiots like that, not only that, if you to go to the “easier” shoots, you never learn to shoot the harder targets and when you do venture out it knocks your confidence.

I used to go to a “club” shoot twice a month and shot it very well, was always top lady etc then you get brought down to earth with a bump when you do eventually venture outside.  Personally I would prefer to only do 1 good shoot per month than several little shoots where you will not learn anything apart from how to deal with ignorant idiots like that. 

You could always ask on here when going to a certain shoot if anyone else is going and to meet up, as we’ve said before, we are quite a friendly bunch!  Good luck.

Well I had fun day today.   I went to the Dragon Clay Club near Colgate which Imhave never been to before. A small club with wooded area and open field.  It was their Christmas shoot today which was squadded and booked and you had to arrive by 9 am to be given lovely sausage and bacon rolls and tea, there was plenty of it to.   There were 8 on the squad which normally you would tutt about but I knew 5 of them and we had great fun.  Tony was on a different squad and didn’t know anyone 😂.  There were 60 birds 7 stands including a hand released rabbit which ran down a grooved slot thing and then across the floor.  People on each squad went up the bank and hid behind an big tree rolling them down.  All quite safe though.  I thought a good mix of targets.  Then we had clay snooker 16 clays. I did really well on that.  Then to finish a mad flush.  I came third my prize was a bottle of vodka, baseball cap and medal.   All for £30 each.   I have to say it was a refreshing change in good company.  Fibre shoot, walk across a smallish field to get to the shoot.

Then went to Alex Cobb’s shoot about 20 or so minutes away which again I thoroughly enjoyed with a great mix of targets.  I was very happy with how I shot some of the bigger targets.  Even got some driven.  

Westfield today, was bright sunny just a bit chilly in Cirencester, Westfield was overcast - foggy & lot lot cooler, I was thinking it would be quiet seeing as it was NYE, big fail on that account, place was rammed and thankfully found a ( the very last ) place to park the non 4 wheel drive, amongst a lot of high value 4x4s at that. Was on Tod ( the Billy no mates on Tod ) and shot course 12-1 then back to 13, the place usually beats me up. Made a decent start and felt I was shooting (for me) quite well enough. Had a car crash on the scissor lift r-l Simos and the next a l-r with a teal report, just got everything wrong on both, pulled it back until St13 where under the gaze of MrHewland had another stand of brain fart. Did see a great many friendly faces, everyone in fine fettle it seemed, as said big entry, when left 90 scores on board Matty Turkeys 96 (I think HG).

You all have a great 2020

Westfield today, was bright sunny just a bit chilly in Cirencester, Westfield was overcast - foggy & lot lot cooler, I was thinking it would be quiet seeing as it was NYE, big fail on that account, place was rammed and thankfully found a ( the very last ) place to park the non 4 wheel drive, amongst a lot of high value 4x4s at that. Was on Tod ( the Billy no mates on Tod ) and shot course 12-1 then back to 13, the place usually beats me up. Made a decent start and felt I was shooting (for me) quite well enough. Had a car crash on the scissor lift r-l Simos and the next a l-r with a teal report, just got everything wrong on both, pulled it back until St13 where under the gaze of MrHewland had another stand of brain fart. Did see a great many friendly faces, everyone in fine fettle it seemed, as said big entry, when left 90 scores on board Matty Turkeys 96 (I think HG).

You all have a great 2020
Good to see you Rich. Another great course at Westfield. Nothing brutal, just a consistent decent test. I also misjudged the sim pair off the tower, just way behind them, cost me 5. Finished on 86 even so, so could have been worse. 

Westfield for us too, cold and misty and dropping last bird was a theme for me today.  Scissor lift pair was all over the place either together or 15 foot apart!   I dropped silly ones as well but enjoyed the course.  

Happy NY all!

Shot a 94 at Longridge today. Good steady course with a lot of crossing & quartering targets which I enjoy. 

Cocked up the teal 3 times but otherwise fairly tidy card on my birthday. 

Pretty busy going round and some strong scores on the board when I left, think there was a 97!

Longridge today for the NYD shoot. Suffering with a touch of manflu but soldiering on regardless.

Shot it 1-11. By stand 9 I was only 9 away so of course, all I can think about is maybe I'll get my first 90, promptly missed two due to thought process and went on to finish up 10 and 11 only dropping one of the nasty teal. Ended on 88 which i'm pretty pleased with.

Shot the 120 sporting at Southdown today, a not so good start Followed by knuckling down and  I put in a pb 92/120. Not good enough for a position in class but was sat 5th (in class) when I left, which I was happy with. Had I not fluffed some targets id already consistently hit I’d have been sat 1st/2nd ....not to be this time but still ecstatic with my effort and the confidence boost it gave me 😁

Latest posts

Back