Sporting Shoots; where- and how was it? (2018)

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The monotony of the multiple sim pair thing at 4C drove us away today. Only other place was Horne.. Roll on Steve Lovatt opening up in Goldalming Surrey. March I believe. Can’t come soon enough. 
Dartford had Sporting and Sportrap registered shoots on. Usually fairly challenging targets on the sporting.

Didn’t know that.. Bit of a trek for me. Certainly tricky mid week traffic..
They do a 9.30 start on Sundays. If you did it first and then Horne on your way back it'd be a decent double for you. Getting there is no problem first thing on a Sunday, but it can get bad in the middle of the day after Bluewater and Lakeside have opened. Getting back away from the bridge is OK at that time though.

Had a great day in sunny Pirbright today, met a great bunch of jokers, and hit 59 which was great until I got home and realised the final stand hadn't been added to the total so I actually made 64! 😄

Also got the lovely guys at William Evans to have a quick look at my gun whilst I was buying a slab and they said there's no problem with the pins or anything else so probably just a couple of bad batch cartridges the other week. Cracking! 👍

Had a great day in sunny Pirbright today, met a great bunch of jokers, and hit 59 which was great until I got home and realised the final stand hadn't been added to the total so I actually made 64! 😄

Also got the lovely guys at William Evans to have a quick look at my gun whilst I was buying a slab and they said there's no problem with the pins or anything else so probably just a couple of bad batch cartridges the other week. Cracking! 👍
You weren't the chap in W.E returning the bad batch Fiocchi carts by any chance??

I’ve not been shooting as much as I would like in recent months due to a mix of family gatherings and bad weather. I had the choice of 4C or Horne and decided on 4C despite the recent reviews as it’s a bit closer. Had a bit of a detour from the M4 as the A338 was closed around Shefford. As usual the diversion signs were rubbish ending up at staggered junction with diversions both left and right .. Anyways I got there and started on stand 2 where I was first up only to get 6-7 no birds on the 2nd bird so had to call someone to get the trap checked. I managed to concentrate and straighted the 5 pairs. In fact the 5 pair stands I only dropped 7 from 60 targets. It was the rest of the course I let myself down ending up on a lacklustre 74 including a 3/8 on stand 4 where I was shooting in front of the 2nd bird and only worked that out on the last pair. It was a lovely day for shooting if a little chilly and no issues with the sun. On my way out I there was a policeman getting out of a marked Discovery Sport next to the clubhouse. Couldn’t see if he was armed as was side on to me, but looked like it as had a lot of gear hanging from his vest. Although seemed to be on his own and I thought they always worked in pairs? Not sure if it was just a friendly visit or someone had reported something.

I’ve not been shooting as much as I would like in recent months due to a mix of family gatherings and bad weather. I had the choice of 4C or Horne and decided on 4C despite the recent reviews as it’s a bit closer. Had a bit of a detour from the M4 as the A338 was closed around Shefford. As usual the diversion signs were rubbish ending up at staggered junction with diversions both left and right .. Anyways I got there and started on stand 2 where I was first up only to get 6-7 no birds on the 2nd bird so had to call someone to get the trap checked. I managed to concentrate and straighted the 5 pairs. In fact the 5 pair stands I only dropped 7 from 60 targets. It was the rest of the course I let myself down ending up on a lacklustre 74 including a 3/8 on stand 4 where I was shooting in front of the 2nd bird and only worked that out on the last pair. It was a lovely day for shooting if a little chilly and no issues with the sun. On my way out I there was a policeman getting out of a marked Discovery Sport next to the clubhouse. Couldn’t see if he was armed as was side on to me, but looked like it as had a lot of gear hanging from his vest. Although seemed to be on his own and I thought they always worked in pairs? Not sure if it was just a friendly visit or someone had reported something.
Friendly visit. I think they work up at the US airbase where "nothing' goes on apparently but someone had heard lots of bangs.  Anyhow he was there a few minutes, talked to the owner and left.

Hah, sort of. Just got in before they closed at 3 to buy another slab and mentioned I had 2 fail on a 100 shoot which seemed odd. That what you mean or was someone else having issues? 😊
Ah probably not you then.

I was in there grabbing some carts myself when a bloke came in to return a couple boxes of Fiocchi after some issues - W.E were notifying the supplier as I left. 

The monotony of the multiple sim pair thing at 4C drove us away today. Only other place was Horne.. Roll on Steve Lovatt opening up in Goldalming Surrey. March I believe. Can’t come soon enough. 
I chose to drive 2 hours to Devon rather than being bored senseless by the same old targets,don't know who sets the course but have they no imagination/

I chose to drive 2 hours to Devon rather than being bored senseless by the same old targets,don't know who sets the course but have they no imagination/

I chose to drive 2 hours to Devon rather than being bored senseless by the same old targets,don't know who sets the course but have they no imagination?

I chose to drive 2 hours to Devon rather than being bored senseless by the same old targets,don't know who sets the course but have they no imagination?

Repetitive sim pair if ever I saw one. 

Ah probably not you then.

I was in there grabbing some carts myself when a bloke came in to return a couple boxes of Fiocchi after some issues - W.E were notifying the supplier as I left. 
Quite possibly I just got a few dodgy cartridges from the same stock then. Both had pin dents in the back, just didn't fire. It happens I guess.

Was going to shoot my second Fitasc at tor view Saturday but they have cancelled it,wonder if you can book onto Sportrap at Southdown without a CPSA number!

I’ll be shooting my first CPSA this coming weekend at Horne CPC. Will post the experience here. Not sure what to expect but looking forward to it nonetheless. 

I’ll be shooting my first CPSA this coming weekend at Horne CPC. Will post the experience here. Not sure what to expect but looking forward to it nonetheless. 
It’s a fairly informal affair there, with a real mix of non-CPSA shooters having some fun, but also a good few top shooters usually (plus plenty in between). Just turn up, buy an entry card for Targets Only, get a tea and bacon sandwich if you fancy it. 

You can shoot the stands in any order, so you can avoid any queues but I advise you to not shoot an empty stand. Just hand your card to the scorer on each stand. Always watch at least 1 shooter, studying the targets more than the shooter. Decide how you are going to tackle the targets. Enjoy, keep it chilled. 

It’s a fairly informal affair there, with a real mix of non-CPSA shooters having some fun, but also a good few top shooters usually (plus plenty in between). Just turn up, buy an entry card for Targets Only, get a tea and bacon sandwich if you fancy it. 

You can shoot the stands in any order, so you can avoid any queues but I advise you to not shoot an empty stand. Just hand your card to the scorer on each stand. Always watch at least 1 shooter, studying the targets more than the shooter. Decide how you are going to tackle the targets. Enjoy, keep it chilled. 
Thanks Will, appreciate that. 

Latest posts

Back