Release Triggers

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think we have far greater safety issues to sort out than release triggers!

A chap came out of a safety cage yesterday with a semi auto, he'd just shot a pair so the breech was closed.

I said " Excuse me your bolt is forward, can you open the breech please?"

He said  " I know " and proceeded to walk past 15-20 people waiting , not one of them said a word.
The exact same thing happened to me yesterday( he was actually shucking the bolt shut on purpose once finished), except I walked over to him and said something like: you're doing everything OK but you must leave the bolt open so it's obvious to everyone it's empty, I also explained about the fact he could buy himself a plastic flag but said as long as he's seen to leave the bolt open then all is fine. I said it quietly and used a lot of hand movement to make him see the point. 

There is no excuse for poor gun handling whether O/U or semi and that chap was clearly a bit of a tool but the demeanour of saying something has to be right to have the right effect.

There is no excuse for poor gun handling whether O/U or semi and that chap was clearly a bit of a tool but the demeanour of saying something has to be right to have the right effect.
So, "oi pal your a nob" wont work ?

:haha:  Well according to the CPSA website the ISSF banned them in 2011 and the CPSA banned them in April 2013 but then had second thoughts and decided to hold a consultation on them (almost 12 months ago) but I think that they are waiting for a shooter to get shot before they grasp the nettle? :fie:  

I would suspect there has been opposition from the NSCA and  it might affect the "World English Sporting UK/USA " shoot attendance? :crazy:   

Last edited by a moderator:
I would think it highly unlikely to affect the World English Sporting at EJ Churchill West Wycombe later this month . Unless your going Cyril, which would stop any people in their right minds going. See you there later Cyril.

:fie:  Peter, you are not a nice person! I am the easeyest person to get along with :crazy:   unless you are a 3 month shooting "expert" who knows all and done F*** all.

'R' ong   the correct hand to hold the pistol grip in is the Left hand.

'R' ong   the correct hand to hold the pistol grip in is the Left hand.

Yeah - that sounds like something someone who is wired up backwards would say

Fortunately I can remain unconcerned about what meatheaded rules are created and imposed by persons that are clearly defective

Last edited by a moderator:
Sadly for you guys, science does prove that we lefties are exceptionally gifted and of a superior mind set.

Fortunately for you,  I can probably get confirmation that I am a bit weird,defective and wired up backwards. 

But do I care?

Sadly for you guys, science does prove that we lefties are exceptionally gifted and of a superior mind set.

Fortunately for you,  I can probably get confirmation that I am a bit weird,defective and wired up backwards. 

But do I care?
Not caring clearly puts lie to the "exceptionally gifted and of a superior mind set" bit as we all know ( those wired correctly at any rate) that gifted/etc people are always caring.  Donchano?

AND  returning to the safety issues as your CPSA rep I would impose and enforce a mandatory automatic safety feature on all guns used in competition.  Together with the 8lb trigger weight there should be some satisfying reduction in the occurrence of competition gun related accidents.

you're welcome

Charlie

So once again the auto user takes a bashing, even being blamed for a sudden drop in temperature. I was at a large shoot last Thursday where I witnessed some of the worst gun handling I have had the misfortune to see and from some who should have known better. Guns produced from out of slips still closed and remaining so until a resting place was found for the gunslip. Guns being closed on the walk back to the gunslip from the stand. Barrels being waved around whilst the owner endeavoured to hit the bin with the ejected cases. I was actually struck on the back of my head, twice, by plonkers carrying guns over shoulders. In fact I did not see one incident involving an auto user and there were plenty of auto users there, that gave any cause for concern. Some of the stands involved a bit of a wait and I passed the time observing other peoples gun handling, some of which left a lot to be desired. I too have been on the receiving end of abuse for asking an unsafe shooter to make safe his gun and in all too many cases the gun in question has not been an auto. In all of my years of  shooting instruction and running a shooting ground I have witnessed some of the worst gun handling ever and yes, some of those involved an auto, but far more involved a gun of the opening variety. In fact upon reflection, probably the safest people that I have encountered with a gun have been Ladies.   

In fact I did not see one incident involving an auto user and there were plenty of auto users there, that gave any cause for concern. .
So they were all using breach flags? If so kudos to them.

I am sorry that I am unable to put as much faith in a 'breech flag' as some. I have 2 auto's in 12 and 20 bore and do NOT use breech flags in either. If the bolt is open, as it should be, and the gun is pointed skyward, the breech flag has a tendency to fall out. The only way to ensure that it does not occur, is to close the breech which I would not even consider. Therefore the only reliable device is the plastic 'spring' clip variety, which fits in front of the open bolt. I find it much more reliable to, having checked the breech and magazine are clear, put the gun with open breech into a gunslip. To use, remove already opened gun from gunslip, point skywards, enter shooting stand, load and close gun, use, clear and replace in gunslip after clearing. I do not believe that a breech flag or even a Union flag would make things any safer. 

Release triggers were permitted in FITASC for a few due to two Americans: Mike Hampton and Mr Hall DuPont. this was in 2003 so that not to refrain American shooters from shooting FITASC Sporting and encouraging the largest potential shooter group. Personally, I have seen more Accidental Dissfires from release triggers than any other cause on any clay target field! Keep your finger off the trigger until you are on your target!

Henry

Henry, You are spot on with your statement!  Both use release triggers and Fitasc smelled the US dollars, money before safety seems to be their motto! :fie:  

FITASC sporting....I think Henry meant to say.

Actually it is not actually just the American that rules are made for.

Release triggers are used in several Fitasc disciplines (I know you probably don't realise that as you think there is only sporting) :wink:

They are used in UT and in Helice by various different nationalities without having any accidents at all.

Just goes to show that it is the person (obviously sporters after what you said) operating the device that can cause any problem. :laugh:

We have Fitasc GB team members who use R Trigs....and they have never shot / maimed / or killed anyone.....whilst on their way to several European and World titles ....true story :wink:

Lots of people go against the norm or are scared of it if it is different......but....all guns kill in the wrong hands. Look to the person....not the kit...!

When I get to the club later ...I will do a survey of the different countries to see what their reply to this thread would be.

I know the Aussie will piss themselves laughing...

The Italians will shout Cazo or fangulo....I suspect the French will say Mon dieu....the yanks will not understand my accent so I will have to sit them down and draw pictures (only joking Wonko )....and maybe the Pharoes will want to buy truck loads. The Argies will wink. The Mexicans and Columbian will ask if it will fit in a guitar case etcetera etcetera .

I'll be back :laugh: :laugh:

I do not believe that a breech flag or even a Union flag would make things any safer. 
No, but they make it much easier for others around or even those a bit further away from you to quickly be assured that your gun is safe.

From what I understand French federation FFBT have a ban on release triggers. FITASC side step the issue with the view that the nation holding the event rules apply.

Back