refing

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Was thinking about this whole reffing thing this afternoon, all the younger shooters  ( being in age and or new to the disciplineof OT) have it so easy.

Turn up to a shoot, pay your money and shoot, when you ref its on an electronic button, if its a no bird you either wait or press a button, then the abacus person its a yes or no and the card man scores the card, fairly easy.

Lets go back to the 80's and early 90's and before....

No turret traps, all manually loaded, on practice day it was usually the shooters taking turns down the trench between practice for themselves, (3 of you down the trench), I did this many times, even took a target full in the face, as one of the others hadnt placed it on the arm properly and it didnt exit the trench, it just came down to traps 10-15 and got me.

The ref had the horn and had to hae good hearing to listen for buzzers in the control shed.

The abacus man did the abacus.....

Now the scorer of the card, also controlled the sequencer and microphone controls, press and hold the mic live when required, not too soon and not to late....after each 6 sequence the drum lever for trap selection and score and line judge, then if a no bird was called, press a buzzer for an instant reload in the trench, then the ref had to listen for the trench's signal they were ready...

No bugger complained, we all did it  and we all knew the rules as well.......
You missed off Haverfordwest and Thurlaston :smile:

shot DTL for the first time on sunday and was virtually in shock when asked to ref/score ...at a registered shoot.

i reffed and sods law had a misfire.

at esp you have a ref/scorer on every stand more traps so higher costs yet it costs the same so why do they not have them for trap?

never ever in thirty years have I heard of having to ref at dtl, tis shocking.

I was weened on dtl shot it for thirty years ( and am AA class if that of relevance) as well as abt, ot, ut, I can assure you shooters reffing dtl is unheard of my friend.

probably. :)

ruddy southerners cant do anything right. :)

At Christmas time was doing the All Round at SW2000 and it was so foggy for our ABT that the whole line and the ref reffed!!

charlie

to put it into context for you anything south of Warrington ...... Think "deliverance". :)

no mate not me. The only ball games that interest me are those that involve my own. Other than that barrells, blades and working dogs.... End of.

Back