Open Thread - Clay Shooting Classic - June 4th to 7th

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great shoot, cracking targets, didn't shoot well at all on the blue 54, messed a couple of stands up on the red 56, frustraited with 110!!! Highlight was 7/8 stand 1 red simo battue's :)

Got an email from cpsa about the worlds, I'm really waiting for the one about Southdown. Would it not just be easier to send them all to Steve and Allison. Thanks to you and all your staff for providing the best shoot this year to date, even my mates shooting it on the services day (rain all day) felt this was the shoot of the year. Nice to shoot championship targets with such varitey and just a comment on the extreme pool shoot......fantastic!

Well what a day that was, 15 hours from door to door absolutely knackered this morning, my head is spinning with the buzz and excitement of yesterday at the classic.

It was a pleasure to meet and shoot with no 1 topdog and Trevor , also met calamity, who seemed really nice.

I'm glad I've not planned anything today as I don't think my head would cope with shooting anymore targets for a day or two.

CPSA take note, that is how shoots should be run, everyone I spoke to couldn't praise this shoot and the way it was run enough,

Steve and Ally seem to make running events like this very easy, though the thought of the logistics involved is mind boggling.

When I spoke to both Ally and Steve yesterday they both seemed as fresh as daisies, how they do it I don't know, I hope they both enjoy a well deserved day off today

As expected best shoot of the year. Pretty much faultless.

Despite turning up in the wrong frame of mind so to speak I thoroughly enjoyed it and hope they get it next year as that was the best classic course for AGES

Only i could choose the English at Southdown over the Classic and the annoying bit is i would have won the classic easy! :spiteful:

As expected best shoot of the year. Pretty much faultless.

Despite turning up in the wrong frame of mind so to speak I thoroughly enjoyed it and hope they get it next year as that was the best classic course for AGES
Ed, it was how Classisc used to be....... best Classic for years i thought.

Steve has it for a 3 year contract....... if the next one is better than this.......... WOW !!!

Ok. Had time to get my head round this now after being completely frazzled at The Classic yesterday.

Best shoot ever that I have shot. It's always easy to say that when you are wrapped up in the euphoria of an event, but that is seriously my experience.

Everything about the day went as it should from finding the place, booking in, getting the transport to the layouts, the targets, the scoring, the timing through the layouts, the traps, the catering, the company on my squad, the location and even the weather played ball with us after a slightly damp start.

This is not how shoots used to be years ago when I used to shoot them. This is soooo! much better and that can only be down to the organisation of Steve and Allison with the help of all their staff. So to them I give a huge THANK YOU! for making my day so great.

Now for the memory test. Bear in mind I am rubbish at remembering names, and apologies to anybody I may have missed out, but yesterday, from the forum, I met Ashley, Calamity, Springer, Gav B, Sian (and Tony), Matt Rutherford, Jaykaysea, Jason Mclean and the two guys on the Perazzi stand (Really sorry guys, I got brain overload and forgot your names). If I missed anyone out remind me that we met.

Oh! and the shooting. I was happy how I shot, some disasters and some triumphs. Started on Red course and Like James Johnston, was proud to have a 7 out of 8 on stand one Red course which was something of a miracle as so many were flummoxed by it. Shot better on Blue course but performance tailed off towards the end as I was knackered, and certainly not match fit for such a demanding course. I managed two 55's to finish on 110 (and before everybody says that's rubbish for a AAA classed shooter, bear in mind I'm really A class but had one good result just before the cut-off period after re-joining the CPSA. I call it "Reverse Sandbadgging" as it leaves me no hope of ever winning my class!!)  :fie:

What a day!

I will be back next year without a doubt!!!     :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:   Very happy Topdog!

Edit for spelling errors!!

Last edited:
That was the kick up the arse sporting clay shooting needed.If more shoots were like this classic we would all be in are right classes.

Thanks Rich and SoR

9th in B Class (I think)  very happy (sorry, just had to share that)  

Last edited by a moderator:
Best shoot of the year by far !! :) 4th in class for me so happy days ...

What a truly great event this was.. Huge credit to Steve and his team.

3 of us shot this on Thursday and everyone we spoke to agreed it was the best shoot they'd ever been to. I shot like an absolute muppet but still thoroughly enojyed it. There was an excellent mix of birds with nothing unhittable or silly yet still challenging.

A big thank you and well done to everyone involved in running and organising it we all really enjoyed it and will definitely be back next year.

Ryan

Back