Not cpsa reg, can I shoot birds only?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lets just be very clear here. There is often confusion about birds only meaning 'just a practice round' whereas BO entries still have scores sent to CPSA, so the event will still be taken as seriously as any other.

The lines become a bit blurred at other shoots. At an open shoot (non registered), BO really means a practice round as scores are not logged anywhere. At a registered shoot, it just means no cash being contested, but scores still go toward your CPSA average. The fact that non CPSA can now shoot reg shoots also (they always did..) means a third category / status, of practice round effectively.

You can see how it can be misinterpreted or mismanaged at the less fastidious grounds. I have seen a shooter given an easy time by a scorer because 'it don't matter you're only BO'. Well his score still went to CPSA.
Well some of the birds only shooters tend not to be worried about their scores and just want to shoot a championship course, if you happen to get squadded with a few of them who couldn't give a monkeys it does make it slightly harder to focus. Reason I double up on hearing protection was the squad I shot with a few years ago...

Not long joined the cpsa, didnt realize b/o on a registered shoot would count towards my average..never thought to even give my number..oh well you live and learn..:rolleyes:

We have done this lady class thing before and everyone knows my feeling on it so to keep on track.

I always go comp because i always have but sometimes wonder why i bother when class win or even high gun can sometimes only be 5 - 20 quid. Birds only is still technically comp as your scores still count and your name if you win will still show at the top of the cpsa results for that shoot you just did not pay 5 for the chance to win 10 so i have no prob with bo. Furthermore i always shoot competitively even in sat practice as i want to shoot better than last week and want to be seen to have shot well compared to others, i often get home after a sat 100 bird practice and Mrs ips will ask how my shooting went to which i reply either rubbish not bad or i shot very well never do i say or think it was only practice anyway so it didn't matter. IMO if you do not shoot to win even in practice then you are not fully focused and may as well have stopped at home. I don't know how you sporters deal with it but messing about would never be tolerated in my trap circle.

We have done this lady class thing before and everyone knows my feeling on it so to keep on track.

I always go comp because i always have but sometimes wonder why i bother when class win or even high gun can sometimes only be 5 - 20 quid. Birds only is still technically comp as your scores still count and your name if you win will still show at the top of the cpsa results for that shoot you just did not pay 5 for the chance to win 10 so i have no prob with bo. Furthermore i always shoot competitively even in sat practice as i want to shoot better than last week and want to be seen to have shot well compared to others, i often get home after a sat 100 bird practice and Mrs ips will ask how my shooting went to which i reply either rubbish not bad or i shot very well never do i say or think it was only practice anyway so it didn't matter. IMO if you do not shoot to win even in practice then you are not fully focused and may as well have stopped at home. I don't know how you sporters deal with it but messing about would never be tolerated in my trap circle.
I'm new here so don't know your feelings re ladies class, but agreed that's a completely different subject.

But I am with you on practice, lesson, open shoot, reg shoot - I just want to hit as many clays as I can, and preferably more than I did the last time out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well a couple of long thread on the matter but to be succinct i do not agree with lady class as its sexist and unnecessary as these days women can and are as good as men. Some women such as our very own Nichola choose to shoot class not lady because they are good enough too. There is no reason physically mentally or technically that women cannot shoot as well as men. I have a daughter who i brought up to consider there was no reason she could not do anything in life a man could. So lady class ... Why ?

Actually you can elect.

You can elect to go in Ladies if there is a class or you can elect to go in your class.......true story :wink:
In CPSA Championships for skeet, a Lady is automatically put in Ladies irrespective of their class, they do not need to nominate.

Therefore Ladies as do Vets, Juniors & Colts have at least 3 chances of winning either their Category, Class or/and High Gun.

However they cannot win any money prizes if they elect to shoot birds only !!!   :spiteful:

I am only talking Skeet, not sure on any other discipline !!!  

England skeet selection shoots are a different matter altogether for Vets, as they have to nominate either as Seniors or Vets !!!

I hope I got that all right - expect scud missiles to come my way :alcoholic:

Last edited by a moderator:
Why oh why do we have to complicate everything?

Birds only, you shoot the clays and enjoy.

Competition, you shoot the clays, enjoy, and if shot well enough you MAY have a cash prize.

Ladies, Veterans, Colts, Juniors should just enter the competition and your age or sex will categorise you.

Dependant on your score will place you in the necessary class or prize fund.

I.E. If you are a lady and have shot well enough to take class  prize, AA, A, B, C, you have won it and the next best lady wins the Ladies prize.

Same with Vets, Colts & Juniors, if they win a major place they should not also take a prize away from the next best in category . Spread the money and trophies around.

As for larking about, if it effects you, then maybe YOU are not focussed on the task. Ear defence and focus, get into the zone as you get into the cage.

I notice that not all shoots have a separate class for the ladies. Who makes the decision to include this or not. The shooting ground?
In normal registered comps it is the ground who decides if there is enough to make up a ladies or junior class etc. If there is not ...then you are all in your lettered class.

At majors shoots there is always a category class as well as a lettered class and you do not have to choose that...you can win both :wink:

Edit....but not if you win High Gun :wink: then the rule changes....see booklet.

Last edited:
There should be a Grumpy Old Git class  :crazy:  I'd do alright in that.

But that might get a little crowded :biggrin:   :biggrin:

:)

In case not crystal clear, the 'poor fluffy bunnies' was a third party comment; or a view of how a lady shooter could feel patronised by being segregated.
I got that, thank you. I was capping your joke with a weak one of my own regarding the Shotgun and Chelsea Bun Club.

In CPSA Championships for skeet, a Lady is automatically put in Ladies irrespective of their class, they do not need to nominate.

Therefore Ladies as do Vets, Juniors & Colts have at least 3 chances of winning either their Category, Class or/and High Gun.

However they cannot win any money prizes if they elect to shoot birds only !!!   :spiteful:

I am only talking Skeet, not sure on any other discipline !!!  

England skeet selection shoots are a different matter altogether for Vets, as they have to nominate either as Seniors or Vets !!!

I hope I got that all right - expect scud missiles to come my way :alcoholic:
I said all that but shorter :smile:

I'm only shooting B/O at the moment as I'm a newbie to comps and therefore have no class so no chance to win anything bar high gun and that ain't gonna happen anytime soon .. But I do take it every bit as seriously as the comp entries as I want to shoot the best I can and achieve the best class I can, I will then consider weather or not I'm scoring well enough to be competitive and start entering the comps. I would hope not to put people off being squadded with me just because I shoot B/O.

Surely if everyone who thought they didn't have a chance at winning anything shot birds only, there wouldn't be a prize fund big enough worth entering for.
In theory this should only apply to beginners until they have reached the C class average.

However I beg to differ from those who regard "Birds Only" as only shooting a practice round but the thread will only go round and round again so there is no point arguing it.

When there is one entry fee and one entry fee only then people can decide to be in or out.  Whilst there is an option then those still learning can avoid throwing away their extra entry fee money for the prize fund but can still enter the competition!

At an open am I not right in thinking that "Birds Only" excludes one from the cash fund prizes but not any cups or sponsored prizes?

Latest posts

Back