English Sporting 42p & up

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richard59

Admit have not been out and about much at all these last few months, having recently picked up my old MK38 after having a bit of stock work and so very keen to try it out called into Coleys, oh the place is undergoing a major development, a big leap of faith by its owners. Having shot quite a few stands, and no, no no-birds Id add went to pay, now I did mention Id not been out for a while, the ground is now 42p per practice clay ( the winter series registered targets advertised at £40/100 = 40p ), so is there anywhere, a regular shooting ground that is, higher than 42p? and is there, in this current uncertain climate a race to be the first to 50p!

Seems to be a fair range of prices not always reflecting facilities/quality, did notice that Orston advertised a pre paid card of 1000 clays for £250 which seemed excellent value in comparison, seen similar locally for £300 which is still much cheaper than their per clay rates, think it suggests we could be overpaying generally although no doubt costs have genuinly gone up.

Admit have not been out and about much at all these last few months, having recently picked up my old MK38 after having a bit of stock work and so very keen to try it out called into Coleys, oh the place is undergoing a major development, a big leap of faith by its owners. Having shot quite a few stands, and no, no no-birds Id add went to pay, now I did mention Id not been out for a while, the ground is now 42p per practice clay ( the winter series registered targets advertised at £40/100 = 40p ), so is there anywhere, a regular shooting ground that is, higher than 42p? and is there, in this current uncertain climate a race to be the first to 50p!
If they can charge 40p for reg, then why not for practice !!

If you dont like paying 42p, then dont and vote with your feet, I certainly would not pay that.

If they can charge 40p for reg, then why not for practice !!

If you dont like paying 42p, then dont and vote with your feet, I certainly would not pay that.
Not sure I understand the point you are making but for registered you would be covering the cost of 12 referees that you would not need for practice so would expect to possibly be cheaper, anybody know the going rate for a referee, probably a 6 hour day so £75 minimum i would think?

Around my area the three grounds I use for practise are { for non members }  42p .. 45p.. and 46p. The one ground i am a member at is 36p. 

EJC is 47p non member. As I’ve said before, I could just about stomach that for clays shot at, but I took my wife for a round of 100 and by the time you’ve looked to see what clays are there, then see a pair, it was £58 for 100 practice. Ouch. Somehow viewing targets need to be 10p. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Our local ground is 40p on the promatic system, reasonable amounts of no birds knocked off (I run a clicker counter) 2 of us shot there today, 225 ish on the counter, 14 no birds and dry pulls knocked off, £42 each. Facilities are pretty poor but the targets are excellent. We were still very pleased and left happy as they set an excellent round.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure I understand the point you are making but for registered you would be covering the cost of 12 referees that you would not need for practice so would expect to possibly be cheaper, anybody know the going rate for a referee, probably a 6 hour day so £75 minimum i would think?
What don't you understand ? if a ground can charge 40p for a registered shoot with all the extra costs involved. Then why can't they charge the same or even less to shoot practice. Why are you being charged 2p a clay more for something that is less expensive

What don't you understand ? if a ground can charge 40p for a registered shoot with all the extra costs involved. Then why can't they charge the same or even less to shoot practice. Why are you being charged 2p a clay more for something that is less expensive
agreed

EJC is 47p non member. As I’ve said before, I could just about stomach that for clays shot at, but I took my wife for a round of 100 and by the time you’ve looked to see what clays are there, then see a pair, it was £58 for 100 practice. Ouch. Somehow viewing targets need to be 10p. 
Yes we have a gorgeous EJC ground in Yorkshire, 35p for practice and also same for 100 bird reg shoots. 25p practice on Mondays. Those are non member rates.

The benefits of living in Gods own County 😃 😃 👍

Yes the North seem be be sensible prices and the further south you go the more you seem to be ripped off. Short sightedness really as in the end people will cut back or pack up.

When you start to add it all up clays/carts/transport, ok with transport with four of us we take it turns but can't see it being sustainable for a lot of people in the current climate 

Local ground is £28/100 over 14 stands. 10% for no birds (110). Rather than see a pair if the stand is empty on our arrival, the opening gun calls for EACH of his first pair, then resumes report pairs for the remainder. This then allows 10 birds per shooter for any 'no birds'. I just leave the remainder on my card until my next visit. Another smaller local ground is 60 birds off 10 stands, £20 for non members. We shoot once per week.

Yesterday I shot a simulated game day . £145 and provide your own shells . I shot 300 cartridges over 4 drives and I estimate I’d have had over 400 opportunities at a clay  , but based on the ones shot at that’s just under 50 pence a bird . Started at 9am with an included full English  served at the table , in a very nice lakeside restaurant . In between drives there was a horse box kitted out with ‘ elevenses ‘ , pies , biscuits , beverages , all included .  The targets were fantastic presented over woodland on and off the edge of a moor  . Now I know this type of shooting won’t be to everyone’s taste , a fair bit of exercise  , but it’s great social shooting , and plenty of it , the opportunity to shoot out of the confines of a cage .

I did 3 of these days last year  , I can see me doing more of these next year and less sporting . 

Sporting Targets are 33p for members and 40p for non members with 5% discount for no birds and shown targets, which I think is fair.. 

Coley's is expensive - used to shoot there regularly with a mate who lives near Weston Super Mare - I'm in Warwick so roughly equidistant so a good place to meet.   We had few visits in the spring and summer of 2022.  The demise of the cafe area replaced by retail goods meant nowhere to sit and have a coffee and a chat coupled with endless no-birds and stands not working resulted in avoiding the place altogether.  We switched to Barbury, which is an additional 30 minute drive for me however the effort is rewarded by an exceptional ground, a fabulous selection of targets and hospitality to match.   Was there on 16th Dec 2022 and 100 targets were £41 for a non-member,   Barby Sporting near Rugby is £32/100 for members and Kibworth SG is £29/100 for members.  

I’m told Owls Lodge is going up to 45p per clay as of 1st February 😱

Latest posts

Back