Not cpsa reg, can I shoot birds only?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jonny English

I left the cpsa 10 years or more ago when I left shooting for a while. I now have my insurance with basc. It would be nice to shoot the odd 100 bird shoot. Can i shoot birds only at a registered event with no cpsa membership, or is it at the ground owners discression if he wants to take my money?

Regards Martin

Technically you cannot shoot a registered shoot, even birds only unless you have a CPSA number, although some grounds will over look this and let you shoot. Any open shoot is fine.

Not strictly true from booklet 5

Registered events are open exclusively to current CPSA members, members of other national clay 
shooting associations recognised by the CPSA or members of the public visiting the ground who have 
purchased a CPSA Day Pass.

However, I thought they had done away with the Day Pass????

The rules changed last year or longer ago. Anybody can shoot registered. Albeit non members scores are not recorded of course.

New one on me i always thought you had to be a member to shoot any cpsa shoot

Sorry to be negative but will ask "what's the point" aware that there are many that are CPSA members that shoot reg as birds only but the spirit of competition is still in there, to enter a reg shoot as you intend is little more than expensive practice. Take the membership up and have the scores recorded, its pretty contagious once you start mind.

Sorry to be negative but will ask "what's the point" aware that there are many that are CPSA members that shoot reg as birds only but the spirit of competition is still in there, to enter a reg shoot as you intend is little more than expensive practice. Take the membership up and have the scores recorded, its pretty contagious once you start mind.
I agree (I think.. You lacked a bit of punctuation there)?

Actually it isn't expensive to shoot 100 birds only as practice, given the quality of the targets. There is a huge entry at many esp reg shoots that are non CPSA these days. The CPSA used to rule against it but ground owners just took the money. The rule changed and it is popular now. Often 50+ non CPSA entries.

I'm not saying I'm for or against it. Just answering the OP.

I would say that CPSA giving up exclusivity of registered comps shows that they are weak and on the back foot.  I would imagine that this was done at the behest of the shooting grounds.  Either we take these shooters entries or we will put on open rather than reg'd events!

There are plenty of Opens that one can shoot and now anyone disenchanted with CPSA can leave and still get to shoot reg'd comps as far as the ground is concerned but without their scores being recorded.

One can of course keep one's own scores to demonstrate a class and an average in which to enter comps.

A simple answer - yes, you can shoot a registered event without being a member. You should fill out a (now free) day pass first but many grounds don't bother. Obviously, you're not eligible for prizes and your score will not count towards a classification.

A simple answer - yes, you can shoot a registered event without being a member. You should fill out a (now free) day pass first but many grounds don't bother. Obviously, you're not eligible for prizes and your score will not count towards a classification.
Correct .....and the paper filled out is to give info to Cpsa to chase you up to see if you want to join at a later date.

It got tailored to 3 shoots only....but that has probably changed as well by now.....!!

So basically the grounds wield all the power? So if I shoot a registered shoot as a non cpsa member do I have to wear glasses or abide by any of the cpsa rules? So I could shoot in a skeet vest only, no under garment or use 36g home loads? Kind of makes the whole system and governance weak and almost pointless.

I thought they had done away with the Day Pass????
Day passes still apply, I think the thinking behind them is not to turn shooters away from grounds.

We have 2 shooters on Sunday shooting the English Open Doubles event however on Day Pass they know they cannot win any

prize money or Trophies & Medals, but they are quite happy just to shoot the event.  :hi:   

Yes you can, I think the main reason many do it is if they have no chance of winning they will just shoot birds only, beginners do it to get a feel for how a competition works without spending a lot more money what would be the point your just throwing money down the drain so to speak, so there are scenarios where I think it's acceptable to shoot birds only.......

And you still have to abide strictly by the CPSA rules run for that event....

Last edited by a moderator:
Stricly speaking,you can only use the day pass a maximum of three times however as most grounds don't bother with it and the CPSA don't follow it up they're not likely to know.

Latest posts

Back