Not cpsa reg, can I shoot birds only?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not long joined the cpsa, didnt realize b/o on a registered shoot would count towards my average..never thought to even give my number..oh well you live and learn.. :rolleyes:
? Every reg shoot I've been to or entered on line for needed /asked for my CPSA number, did the ground(s) you shot these reg shoots not enquire of this from you?

Posts 58 and 59, one by Ray in response to my understanding and one by MaddMatt to MidnightMinstrel conflict!

I understood that Birds Only was just the cash prize fund not other trophies and sponsored prizes so for that reason it cannot be called a practice round depending on who is right.

lets get this into perspective. Birds only is not practice you are merely electing not to bet a fiver or whatever it is to possibly win cash. What's the problem with that. If most of us worked it out over a year it does not make financial sense anyway unless you win at least every 3 shoots or so.

Posts 58 and 59, one by Ray in response to my understanding and one by MaddMatt to MidnightMinstrel conflict!

I understood that Birds Only was just the cash prize fund not other trophies and sponsored prizes so for that reason it cannot be called a practice round depending on who is right.
Robert, It's the other way round, Birds only = Trophies and/or medals, but not any cash prizes. :hi:

The cash comp is effectively a side bet and has nothing to do with the registered event or the championship or ones rights to a medal or trophy or team place, in fact the very term birds only and comp are probably confusing as it implies unless you pay your fiver your not in the comp but you are.

Not long joined the cpsa, didnt realize b/o on a registered shoot would count towards my average..never thought to even give my number..oh well you live and learn.. :rolleyes:

? Every reg shoot I've been to or entered on line for needed /asked for my CPSA number, did the ground(s) you shot these reg shoots not enquire of this from you?
Not once in over 10 years. Used to shoot for fun when and where I fancied with friends, if it happened to be a registered shoot I never got asked??:blink:

When going through a really bad patch a couple of years ago, I referred to it as shooting 'cartridges only'.

It was I that first used the phrase "practice" in reference to a non CPSA member shooting at a registered shoot, a non member will not enjoy the benefit of having their scores recording classifications etc so I termed this as "practice" it wasn't meant to refer birds only entries by CPSA members, sorry for any confusion

That makes sense in the context you used it so no worries :)

Not strictly true from booklet 5

Registered events are open exclusively to current CPSA members, members of other national clay 
shooting associations recognised by the CPSA or members of the public visiting the ground who have 
purchased a CPSA Day Pass.

However, I thought they had done away with the Day Pass????
This was something that I was very involved in getting changed. Any one can shoot a registered shoot for up to three times and they don't need a day pass. It is at the grounds discretion, but why would they turn money away?

I would say that CPSA giving up exclusivity of registered comps shows that they are weak and on the back foot.  I would imagine that this was done at the behest of the shooting grounds.  Either we take these shooters entries or we will put on open rather than reg'd events!

There are plenty of Opens that one can shoot and now anyone disenchanted with CPSA can leave and still get to shoot reg'd comps as far as the ground is concerned but without their scores being recorded.

One can of course keep one's own scores to demonstrate a class and an average in which to enter comps.
Exactly the content of the article which appeared in Clay Shooting Magazine following an interview with me and my meeting a week later with Nick Fellows.

Correct .....and the paper filled out is to give info to Cpsa to chase you up to see if you want to join at a later date.

It got tailored to 3 shoots only....but that has probably changed as well by now.....!!
No it's still officially 3 but no ones monitoring it so how do they know.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back