New era?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Beretta have made a few blunders lately but I feel a lot of the bashing is due in no small part to the fact they have no famous names on their ESP books anymore. All guns take a bit of fine tuning to suit individuals but it has to be said the DT11 is pretty damn well suited to volume shooting.

Beretta have made a few blunders lately but I feel a lot of the bashing is due in no small part to the fact they have no famous names on their ESP books anymore. All guns take a bit of fine tuning to suit individuals but it has to be said the DT11 is pretty damn well suited to volume shooting.
Yes, more so than say Perazzi, Beretta seem to have some very different models, made along different lines. Almost like brands within a brand.

Oh, everybody, I forgot to mention: Ahem, "I was able to crunch the driven targets with ease, but with the weight well between the hands, the longer barrels were equally at home with the close targets" :)

Oh, everybody, I forgot to mention: Ahem, "I was able to crunch the driven targets with ease, but with the weight well between the hands, the longer barrels were equally at home with the close targets" :)
That sounds like something Vic Harker would say. :p   :lol:

Weighed it on scales in EJC Gunroom; 9lb 6oz.
I don't think mine has ever been properly weighted, it always feels heavy compared to most other guns, that custom stocked semi I had made a few years back registered 10 lbs though and did feel heavier than the 682e. I'll try and find out soon.  :)

I swear I don't know how you folks shoot those tanks!  My heaviest is pressing 8.5lbs and fortunately that is in a fairly heavy hunk of wood in the butt.  My old fave pigeon gun is barely 8 and it just feels super.  I weighted my Beretta SxS up to just under 8 and it is great now.

Maybe I need some gym time.    Or not.

So; first registered shoot at Owls Lodge with the DT11.

A good firm affair, which I think was won on 89. A mix of tricky edgey close stuff and proper long targets. Overall, the gun feels great and I am happy. I even had a choke fiddle for the first time in 7 years. (So best leave them at home next time.. :) )

I ended up on 81, but feel the trend is right. I missed one due to "premature ejaculation" as Nicola so kindly observed. (Light trigger pulls). Another where the gun slipped from my shoulder, which i will cure by removing the slippery Beretta recoil pad and fitting an Isis which i have. Another 4 missed were a high hanging teal which I feel I would have dusted with my Perazzi. I went and had some shots at it after the shoot; tried a BIG gap under it and smashed it repeatedly. Lesson learned; characteristic of this gun. I don't feel it actually shoots high per se; more than it reacts differently on this target, where I move downward gently as I shoot. This gun moves less, so I need to see the gap. Its fine now I know..

Onward!

Last edited by a moderator:
It's clear once you get used to the feel of it you'll forget everything and simply get on with the job of smashing targets. ;)

I am always amazed how different guns feel even same model sometimes however as my learned friend Mr hammy eludes to one will always adapt given time.

Keep us updated will very interesting stuff.

Yes,nice thing is I'm nearly there straight away. Bit of fiddling, few quirks. Boom.
Once you have your control gun, in your case the Perazzi, it's possible to very quickly know whether something else is ever going to be at least as good and hopefully better given time. I can shoot most things tolerably well but know fairly quickly if a gun is right by how easy it is to shoot, does it need manhandling in other words.

Once you have your control gun, in your case the Perazzi, it's possible to very quickly know whether something else is ever going to be at least as good and hopefully better given time. I can shoot most things tolerably well but know fairly quickly if a gun is right by how easy it is to shoot, does it need manhandling in other words.

Of course - and that only means that the new gun is pretty much like the old but enough different you're gonna have to screw around to make it "right" and then the control gun will not be that anymore cuz to start with it you prolly screwed around with it differently.  Any gun you shoot that is not the same as the "control" will mess you up for going back.  And then you have two guns that you shoot neither as well as you could.

Why do people who are concerned with doing well purposefully not pay attention to what they're doing?

And the other side is that there is obviously an optimal gun that embodies all the proper dimensions etc and if you find that then any other brand will have to satisfy those same optimal dimensions etc and there then must be some additional aspect to the new gun to make it superior.  You have a Perazzi.  What sense is there in struggling with something else that must be a lesser?

Of course - and that only means that the new gun is pretty much like the old but enough different you're gonna have to screw around to make it "right" and then the control gun will not be that anymore cuz to start with it you prolly screwed around with it differently. Any gun you shoot that is not the same as the "control" will mess you up for going back. And then you have two guns that you shoot neither as well as you could.

Why do people who are concerned with doing well purposefully not pay attention to what they're doing?

And the other side is that there is obviously an optimal gun that embodies all the proper dimensions etc and if you find that then any other brand will have to satisfy those same optimal dimensions etc and there then must be some additional aspect to the new gun to make it superior. You have a Perazzi. What sense is there in struggling with something else that must be a lesser?
You make sense in the concept of what you say. And I think it's right when applied to lots of shooters (perhaps those less experienced than me). I feel that I am very purposefully paying attention to what I am doing. My thing was finding that there were shortcomings in my Perazzi- yes, after all this time. Maybe because of this time. Maybe I am a different shooter now? A bit too long, the comb not quite right (I have modified it once but still needs slightly more cast) and I felt that I was struggling a bit on certain targets, mainly quartering fast stuff and distant hanging birds.
What I suppose I should have said in my account from today was that I smacked a lot of fiddly stuff that I may not have cleaned up with the P gun. Other little quirks are to be expected, but they are quirks and are not big issues.

When I first started shooting in 2005/6 , I soon went for a "shiny" K80 as I was just persuaded by kudos etc. This gun is a calculated move that I believe will be just that touch advantageous within a very short timeframe.

Last edited by a moderator:
Of course - and that only means that the new gun is pretty much like the old but enough different you're gonna have to screw around to make it "right" and then the control gun will not be that anymore cuz to start with it you prolly screwed around with it differently.  Any gun you shoot that is not the same as the "control" will mess you up for going back.  And then you have two guns that you shoot neither as well as you could.

And the other side is that there is obviously an optimal gun that embodies all the proper dimensions etc and if you find that then any other brand will have to satisfy those same optimal dimensions etc and there then must be some additional aspect to the new gun to make it superior.  You have a Perazzi.  What sense is there in struggling with something else that must be a lesser?
You are correct in the main but we have control guns and then we have control guns. My main gun has been with me for the past 15 years, prior to that I had the original model 682 for 10 years so I appreciate the need to have a constant that you can work with and adapt to. Having said that I am not naive enough to think that I have somehow stumbled across perfection, the gun is quite simply optimal (up to) what I am prepared to invest time and money into it !

I am well aware of its shortfalls, the trigger could be better, the grip is flawed (PFS either fit or they DON"T fit), barrel selector is imperfect, despite liking its light barrels I believe another 50 or so gram in the right place may have detectable advantages, it yields ME poor results on certain targets, for example very long, falling going aways, etc, etc. As mentioned I am only prepared to spend so much time and money on achieveing the Optimum tool, clay shooting is not that important to me, but along the way I have enjoyed buying and dabbling with other guns, partly to pass the time and partly in a hidden desire to find something better. It's how I bumped into the 682 in the first place.

What Will is doing makes perfect sense to me, he has spent time with a thoroughbred and understands what may be holding him back so he is experimenting with what in anyones book is considered a thoroughbred too.

Back