New era?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Although.. I just discovered that this 9lb 6oz gun, which balances about an inch BEHIND the pin, has a lump of lead stuffed in the stock. Wtf? Looks like a factory thing, with a wooden plug over most of it. Well, my drill is smoking hot now. :) Balance half an inch further forward. Sorry to offend the non gun fiddling brigade, but this just makes sense..

. I had a go with a Baretta today, seemed heavy until I mounted it, perfectly balanced, had one shot and smoked H2 so I decided to quit while I was ahead, what was worse I think he had it choked 3/4 & full  :fie:

Although.. I just discovered that this 9lb 6oz gun, which balances about an inch BEHIND the pin, has a lump of lead stuffed in the stock. Wtf? Looks like a factory thing, with a wooden plug over most of it. Well, my drill is smoking hot now. :) Balance half an inch further forward. Sorry to offend the non gun fiddling brigade, but this just makes sense..
A female friend has just taken delivery of a s/h DT11 32" trap gun, quite rare and no longer produced I understand. The stock was far too long and has had a good 2" chopped off it. I saw the piece of wood removed and that had two lead plugs about 3/8" in diameter through it which I assume continued into the existing part of the stock.From past experience I didn't enquire whether additional lead had been added to the stock to maintain the balance of the gun as she think she knows best in such matters.

Whether the lead installation was the PO or a factory job I haven't a clue. I wonder whether other DT11 owners have discovered lead in their stocks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Factory job, all DT11's have a heap of lead in the stock...
Such a strange thing to do. You would think Beretta would realise that the adjustable stock version is always going to be heavy anyway. ALL guns should have a 20mm x 20mm hole in the stock, with a choice of steel or lead spacers to fit. (Or nothing if you leave it empty). Hats off to Blaser for their balancing system.

So is reduced recoil of 11 because of much talked about over boring or big plug of lead?

P's

my eell also has lead plug. My std 10 does not.

[SIZE=13.63636302948px]WAY too much info, [/SIZE]I'll never be able to look a Beretta owner in the eye again,now I know they're all shooting with lead butt plugs

That's going to be an interesting move coming from a Perazzi.  

It would be good to hear how you get on....

Such a strange thing to do. You would think Beretta would realise that the adjustable stock version is always going to be heavy anyway. ALL guns should have a 20mm x 20mm hole in the stock, with a choice of steel or lead spacers to fit. (Or nothing if you leave it empty). Hats off to Blaser for their balancing system.
My non adjustable stock balanced an inch in front of the hinge pin, after the adjustable hardwear was fitted, it was worse!!! They had to cut through one of the lead plugs to fit it, took an extra oz of lead at the back to balance it back where I wanted it!!! It

Sorry will I did mention earlier lighter chokes would allow you to remove some lead from the stock, I assumed you knew there was lead there, can't understand why they balanced your gun behind the hinge pin, Iv had 2 DT11s at this stage and both just in front of hinge, all I can think of is your gun was balanced before the adjustable hardware was added, the guns are hand balanced with lead to keep the guns consistent as wood weight varies

Sorry will I did mention earlier lighter chokes would allow you to remove some lead from the stock, I assumed you knew there was lead there, can't understand why they balanced your gun behind the hinge pin, Iv had 2 DT11s at this stage and both just in front of hinge, all I can think of is your gun was balanced before the adjustable hardware was added, the guns are hand balanced with lead to keep the guns consistent as wood weight varies
Yes that's what I wondered. Perhaps they picked up a weighted stock by accident then added the adjuster. Oh well, happy drilling!

I wish they had balance mine further back!!!

[SIZE=13.63636302948px]WAY too much info, [/SIZE]I'll never be able to look a Beretta owner in the eye again,now I know they're all shooting with lead butt plugs
Butt (notice what I did there?) that could go a long way toward explaining a number of those quirks like lists and such 

And how does Will's wild hare compare with the lead plug?

I think balance is a personal thing and very easy to change if your not happy with how it feels change it

Had a go with the P today. Felt very pointy and I was whizzing through slower stuff, missing in front. Went back to DT11 which was then odd for a few shots, before I dialled in and felt very comfortable. Moral of story, stick with 1 gun!

DT11 gets the outing next weekend.

But so as not to appear rude, I have accepted a Blaser trial day on Friday. Ha haha ha!

Jealous, not much.

Need an F3 Vantage, not much.

I went to Hornet today for their 100 ESP reg. Lovely sunny cold day, made bearable by low wind. Started well, then forgot that teals with this gun, for me, need a high hold. Dropped four on one stand as a consequence. Grrrr..

Then, managed to miss another four on the rest of the course (and 1 of those I think I hit but ref couldn't see it) so at last got a decent score on my board. Lots of angles and curls rather than big distance today but a decent variety.

Phew. Gun now feeling familiar and right.

Oh - and it was much better today as I didn't let myself fiddle with chokes..

Mainly because the subject of chokes is being discussed on other threads tonight, I thought I would mention that my last few shoots have been a step forward with the new gun. (92, 84% at a tough Westfield, 91,91). OK, I'm getting used to it, but also I banned myself from choke changing. Coincidence with an improvement? I feel not. Not everybody will be like me (mentally), but one cartridge one choke and focus on the breakable object.

Back