My new HPX Perazzi DSR

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Bartlett

My new HPX Perazzi DSR shot gun arrived in the UK last Friday and John Jeffries arranged to meet me at South Worcester Shooting ground on Wednesday.

I arrived early keen to try out my new gun. The gun arrives with the wood unfinished and without any but pad fitted but at the correct length. John gave it to me straight out of the box and said to go and try it. The gun is a DSR with 34" barrels and it came with 3/4 and 3/4 fixed chokes. John Clements, the ground owner came and buttoned for me as i tried it on a wide variety of targets. I tried a straight going away bird to start with and it was clear that the gun was shooting where i was looking as it dusted the clays. The gun shot at POA and the high fast midi of the 120ft crane was dusted every time. In fact straight out of the box i missed only 2 out of the first 30 clays. I then shot the very tricky compak that was setup on the day and shot 23 on the first round which wasn't bettered all day by anyone! Everyone was extremely impressed by the gun and John Jeffries' expertise and knowledge with gun fitting. The gun needs some pitch adjustment as this wasn't set to my measurements by the factory and it also needs my butt pad fitted. This was a contributing factor to the misses as the gun was bouncing on firing slightly but this will be rectified by the pitch. The gun felt beautifully ballanced and was lively enough to take the lightning teal straight out of the trap but also steady and precise for the lofty closer targets. 

The barrels are now with Teague to have multi chokes fitted and the trigger and wood have gone back with John Jeffries for finishing. I can't wait to have it back all finished and start shooting it. 

I am being supplied with a fully adjustable try stock so if anyone see's me out and about and want's to try a HPX DSR then please come and introduce yourself. I will be more than happy to help and it only takes seconds to fit. 

Alternatively if anyone wants to arrange a day and time to meet up I will be happy to fit the gun to you and you can shoot it until your hearts content. If you really want to improve your scores and see what this revolutionary product is all about then give me a shout. You can call me on 07717 257357.

Mike

Welcome on board Mike............hope she does ya proud!

Thanks Andy, i'm very pleased and proud to be on board! I'm sure she will and am looking forward to getting to know her very well. I'm sure we will meet again soon. How are you getting on with your new DSR? 

How are you getting on with your new DSR?

​Really pleased thanks Mike..........made the compak final with Dave at Northall today..........Big Big birds but that Gary Robins took the cash again!

Times do vary a little.........mine and Dave's ordered on the same day........mine 12 weeks against Dave's 15?

My new HPX Perazzi DSR shot gun arrived in the UK last Friday and John Jeffries arranged to meet me at South Worcester Shooting ground on Wednesday.

The barrels are now with Teague to have multi chokes fitted and the trigger and wood have gone back with John Jeffries for finishing. I can't wait to have it back all finished and start shooting it. 

Mike
Apologies in advance for the dumbass question, but how come you weren't supplied with multi-choke barrels in the first place?  Assuming it's something like Teagues are better than factory, is 3/4 an optimal size for conversion?

There's no implied criticism here, I'm just curious about the technicalities...

Thanks,

RP

John Jeffries gives you a choice of 4 possible choke options:

1) Fixed choke (I ordered my DSR this way 1/2 and 1/4 on an MX12 action

2) Perazzi Multi-choke, supplied by the factory in Italy

3) Teague - fitted in the UK

4) Briley - fitted in the UK (my existing HPX SR1 has Briley chokes)

As it happens he's not a fan of interchangeable chokes personally although the beauty of having a gun made to spec is that you can have exactly what you want.... :)

My guess would be that 3/4 would provide a bit of meat at the muzzle end to machine out for the choke installation.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am a choke changer and the plan was always to have multi chokes. John likes to use Teague chokes and i have Teague chokes in my Side by Side so i know the quality, although i think you can have any choke you like. The gun came at 3/4 3/4 fixed directly from Perazzi and because the barrels are 34" they shot as tight as my Browning 32" with full choke in. The beauty of having Teague do the chokes in this country is he can make the chokes and hone the barrels to pattern a particular cartridge the best. As I only use CS Sporting Cartridges and have been for the last 2 years and i'm really happy with them and the fantastic breaks i get with them so I am having the barrels matched to pattern these cartridges optimally.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back