Tim Greenwood Gunsmith - gun fitting and more!

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Amazing work by Tim, but we mustn't get carried away like the Yanks do. Unless it floats your boat of course.

Always remember big George when he shot Beretta's, he had two and one was noticeably cast more than the other, when I remarked who had cast it for him he said ' the airing cupboard, it got wet and I put it in there to dry'. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, clayshooting success is in the hands of the competitor.

Hi Philpot,

I've never dared to total up the full cost, but here goes:

1) Gracoil and Graco comb raiser were fitted by Simon Wilmore at Doveridge in 2010 - This was due to needing a 16.5" LOP and the comb raiser to accomodate my graceful swan like neck :huh: £250 + £180 respectively.

2) 2 hour gunfit with Andy Harvison @ Kibworth, who pointed out that the grip was far too short for my elegant artistic hand :.: £100

3) Adaptor for the gracoil to lower the pad 0.5" - This was made by a friend of mine.

Now my gun fitted me, but by a chance encounter with Tim, I decided to make me fit the gun too - primarily the comb was too far forward and my grip hand moved on the first shot of a pair.

4) Initial grip modification (including extension) in October 2011 by Tim £60

5) Palm swell, Stippling and finishing, also by Tim were £60, £100 and £150 respectively

I anyone totals this lot up and tells me, I WILL hunt you down and remove vital organs with a spoon :angry:

Before anyone tells me that I should have bought a different gun - I suggested this to Andy Harvison and he informed me that in over 30 years in the business, no-one near my size (6' 4") will ever find a gun that fits off the shelf - The total removal of the neck, shoulder and back pain whilst shooting has made this money well spent.

btw Of all the people who have asked to look at the gun, only one bloke (a mate) doesn't like it (the stippling). Another friend borrowed it, and I had to chase him down to get it back.

Overall very pleased indeed.

Thanks for listening :p

I once had a trapped nerve in my neck/shoulder which was cured by 6 sessions of traction/physiotherapy at £80 a session, that makes Tim's work value for money if it avoids my injury.

can anyone recommend someone to do stock work in gloucestershire? I have long fingers and big hands (makes me sound like a freak hobbit or something) and struggle to get my index finger pad on the trigger and end up using the crook of the finger. i also need a bigger palm swell.....

can anyone recommend someone to do stock work in gloucestershire? I have long fingers and big hands (makes me sound like a freak hobbit or something) and struggle to get my index finger pad on the trigger and end up using the crook of the finger. i also need a bigger palm swell.....
I have no idea of anyone to recommend in your area, but would advise you to seriously consider making the trip to Kent to see Tim. A little extra time and effort goes a long way when it comes to getting the best possible job done in my opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think Tim must be sponsored by Jones Adjusters - when I used to use him, about 10 years ago now, that was his stock (no pun intended) answer to everything.......'you need a Jones adjuster and a kickeez pad' Have to say that I admire his woodwork (I know it's a 'marmite' thing on some of his creations) but some of his suggestions on gun fit were no more than a bit of a punt to be fair. My Jones adjuster ended up as the most expensive spacer I ever bought! That and the fact that once he had my gun, I could never get hold of him to get it back!!!!

I used Tony Dean in the end for gun fitting and never looked back. He met me at a clay ground with his mobile work shop, watched my mount, came out and watched me shoot a few selected targets, worked on the gun, then repeated the process until we were both satisfied, before finishing the woodwork. I never looked back and when I've changed my gun, always ensured the stock meets those exact same measurements.

Still, each to their own........ :)

Interesting point as there seemed to a common theme of "you need a Jones adjuster". Presumably he doesn't fit one for every customer?

Last edited by a moderator:
I've had guns with Jones adjusters on them (my PFS stock is so equipped), the trouble is I couldn't get it to feel much different up or down or sideways, could see myself shooting it well either way if that makes sense. Some people may well find it more useful but not all.

There's also little doubt that all gunsmiths end up with their favourite babies because it's worked for their clients before so it must in the future?! It's such a shame that someone with Tim's knowhow and talent is so overlogged with work that people who dearly want to use him can't even get through!

I would have thought the obvious answer would have been a slight expansion by taking on another gunsmith he trusts who could transfer what he and his clients want onto guns. That would not have bothered me in the slightest, it's the initial discussion and decisions that matter most; there must be countless others who are just as capable of doing the technical cutting and pasting??

Interesting point as there seemed to a common theme of "you need a Jones adjuster". Presumably he doesn't fit one for every customer?
Not sure about every customer, but it's beginning to look that way! I have to say that I think there is more to gunfit than looking at someone's mount in your workshop & sticking a jones adjuster on it! You need to seem them shoot as well. From what I remember, Tim seemed to be very trap discipline orientated & the JA might be of more benefit if you have a very methodical pre mount style. As I soon learnt, the JA was not a panacea.....

Not sure about every customer, but it's beginning to look that way! I have to say that I think there is more to gunfit than looking at someone's mount in your workshop & sticking a jones adjuster on it! .
In my experience Tim does a bit more than that ;)

It is very interesting how we divide into two camps over gunfitting, those that put faith in gunsmiths who only fit at the workshop and those that use a shooting ground, pattern plates and targets.

There is no doubt in my mind that you will only get perfection by shooting and adjusting. There is often a tendency to snuggle down on the comb when dry mounting hence the rash of moleskin comb raisers that sprout after a gunsmiths fitting session.

Buyer beware.

How many of you have seen a gun with an adjustable comb with electricians tape and foam or carpet or cardboard taped to it?? :eek: :eek:

I have seen more than a few.

you can make a gun what you want it to in a shop/on a plate. In my mind there is only one way to see how it shoots and thats on a straight, but moving target.

you can make a gun what you want it to in a shop/on a plate. In my mind there is only one way to see how it shoots and thats on a straight, but moving target.
Makes sense to me. I'm a rather better engineer than I am a shot and I've always found it to be true for most things that the only real test is the live environment.
Never had a gun fiited though so WTF do I know?

Eiher have I. I go on what suits me and what's comfortable. The problem with "fitting" is you can ask 3 different looks what is right and you will get 3 drastically different answers.

Unless you see someone shoot and understand HOW they shoot, you can't really do much other than go for the oft quoted figure 8 beads which is about as much use as tits on a fish.

As long as you can see over the rib, don't start drastically off to one side, and can comfortably and consistently mount and shoulder the gun with head on the stock, you will be able to boot to your potential. There are far better ways of spending your Money if you are looking to improve in my book!

I reckon a good test of fit was the steep away teal at Gunsite last time. I was right behind a decent A class guy who missed 3. Although he's usually deadly on crossing targets I could see he always off to the right on that teal. It was his usual gun, so either his mount was off tune or the fit was screwed.

Latest posts

Back