New Blood required in Trap shooting

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Salopian

Is Trap shooting dying on its feet?

Went to Bridgnorth Gun Club today, to be greeted with 'Here is the high summer shooter'.

I possibly shoot DTL twice a year in the summer months although I love Bridgnorth Gun Club, sadly looking around there were NO youngsters shooting. Average age must have been 55 plus .

Where is the new blood?

England DTL & Welsh seem to learn to shoot DTL at Bridgnorth then depart for the Premier Trap grounds such as Mid Wales, etc.

If we do not support our home grounds they will be lost.  

Nice little club Bridgnorth, I won the county championships there in either 1998 or 1999, my memory is crap . it might of even been in 2000!!. When I was at Cosford in the mid 80's I used to shoot with Les Hyde and Robbie Howe (Paddy Howe's son) at Bridgnorth but they were at a different location then.  Unfortunately I don't shoot DTL any more, but now you've mentioned them I might pay the place a visit for old times sake.

what they need is a Helice ring.  

In short, yes.

As a DTL shooter i have been trying some fast trap to see how things stand. It takes all day to shoot due to the way squads are rotated and you are expected to be an instant expert so you can ref. People would rather moan and complain than help and explain things to new shooters.

Ian,

You're not expected to be an instant expert. All you need do is say to the two other shooters refereeing/scoring with you is "Can you help me please I haven't done this before". The vast majority will go out of their way to ensure you do it right. If you'd got any specific queries today you could've collared me and asked.

Additionally, the rules are available on the CPSA, FITASC and ISSF websites.

Last edited by a moderator:
My coach Arnold is setting up a trap training day (abt & UT) at Fauxdegla 26th July (I think). Maximum 12 people (so 11 other than myself!), price is £20 per head (dont think that includes clays).

Aimed at younger shooters (20-30), looking to move up from dtl and onto fast trap. If you PM me, I can put you in contact with him, or alternatively contact Mike Faux at Fauxdegla. Arnold is a great coach so its a good opportunity

My coach Arnold is setting up a trap training day (abt & UT) at Fauxdegla 26th July (I think). Maximum 12 people (so 11 other than myself!), price is £20 per head (dont think that includes clays).

Aimed at younger shooters (20-30), looking to move up from dtl and onto fast trap. If you PM me, I can put you in contact with him, or alternatively contact Mike Faux at Fauxdegla. Arnold is a great coach so its a good opportunity
If your Arnold is Arnie Cliffe, he knows what he's about. I've known him donkey's years.

Shame I missed you I was there first thing (younger than your average age estimate) along with 2 complete trap novices (slightly under and over)

There were a couple of other under 40's up there too, next time ill bring my cousin and that will help keep the average age down...

The lure of fast trap is just too strong!

Phil yes its him and yes i agree armie knows his stuff.

If your Arnold is Arnie Cliffe, he knows what he's about. I've known him donkey's years.
Yep thats him. Hes a good coach, and a good laugh too. Life of the party kind of guy!

Went to Bridgnorth Gun Club today, to be greeted with 'Here is the high summer shooter'.

I possibly shoot DTL twice a year in the summer months although I love Bridgnorth Gun Club, sadly looking around there were NO youngsters shooting. Average age must have been 55 plus .

Where is the new blood?

England DTL & Welsh seem to learn to shoot DTL at Bridgnorth then depart for the Premier Trap grounds such as Mid Wales, etc.

If we do not support our home grounds they will be lost.
i have said many times that new blood as you put it is not young blood. Very few young shooters are able to enter the sport this from my experience has always been the case with a few obvious exceptions of course. This is why i have on occasions been vocal about who we aim the publicity at. It is a fact that middle age bloke is the primary source of new blood, this i believe is a fact for many reasons. Very few youngsters stick at it once they find beer and girls, this has been proven many many times.

Ian,

You're not expected to be an instant expert. All you need do is say to the two other shooters refereeing/scoring with you is "Can you help me please I haven't done this before". The vast majority will go out of their way to ensure you do it right. If you'd got any specific queries today you could've collared me and asked.

Additionally, the rules are available on the CPSA, FITASC and ISSF websites.
Phil,

i have read the rules in the FITASC website and i certainly an grateful to yourself and DT for being friendly and welcoming. The problem today was caused by exactly what you suggest doing. After my second layout it was time for me to ref/score. One bloke jumped on the abacus and another grabbed the score sheet leaving me with the buzzer. I said "im new and haven't done this before, could you please help and explain". The quickest explanation was given and off we went, only to have gun malfunction's and no birds etc. Then just before stepping on the line to shoot my 4th layout, one of the shooters on my squad said "you are on the abacus after this because the other squad were complaining about you cause you don't know what you are doing". That is all i could think of whilst shooting my last line and why i wont bother coming back.

Well, sounds like Trap shooting is as friendly and welcoming as the other disciplines. Where the 'Experts' are so wrapped up in their own ego's to be unable to help newbies ! Thankfully Ian I can assure you that is not the norm.

I think it is fair to say that most grounds and squads are very accommodating and welcoming . Ian do your research and I think you will find that in the squad that complained about your ability you will find an individual (or two) that are universally known to be moaners or self serving.

Just ignore them and enjoy your shooting.

I am surprised and saddened to hear of your experience. This is not usual for trap shooters.

You did nothing wrong, you told them you were new to it and still they let you ref this was ridiculous of the squad. It is understood that unless all shooters are equal the most experienced shooter refs so it was the rest of the squad that were in the wrong not you. Do not let this one bad experience put you off.

Ps - this is why dtl shooters do not progress to trap, so if anyone is bothered about dwindling numbers in trap let us all take note of this tale and treat new comers gently.

I have two brilliant youngsters coming through....one 13 and one 15 (boy and girl). They will be looked after..!!

Iain please don't be put off ....next time refuse to take the buzzer...I do..!!

I always think of skeet and so i often press the button when they shout 'pull'.....and the honk is not appreciated.

Which ground were you shooting at? Was it OT or UT??

I've had enough problems with skeet shooters. There's no way I'm going near advanced trap without someone sponsoring my presence. Sporting shooters don't consider what anyone else does their business, so long as you're not too loud in the background. Bit of DTL down the local club, fine, but whilst everyone was very friendly in the clubhouse I'm staying out of OT/UT/ABT without a coach. If Iain with all his experience encountered problems I don't stand a chance. Luckily Shotgun & Chelsea Bun Club is doing an OT day soon.

It's not that you expect experienced people to help you necessarily, but there are shooters who regard the existence of anyone not up to their level as an irritant. If I want to irritate a grumpy old bloke I'll spend quality time with my husband :) In the meantime I'be had to develop a good shell of "f*** off" attitude. I thought the women who told me about that were just being negative but they were right, you need it.

Not seen problems in fast trap at normal level. Women accepted and welcomed all over different clubs.

The problems only tend to arise in Olympic and most of it is based around poor team management....none existent team management... Funding inequality on GB....no insistence of a team spirit.....need I go on.... :wink:

Iain

Really sorry to hear this, which as has been pointed out by others should not have happened and the other scorers should hang their heads in shame if they are reading this. I have had a similar experience during a selection shoot when the other scorers (both international shooters) bolted for the abacus/scorecard but I've had enough experience of the button for it not to bother me. That said I'm sure they would have taken the button if I had asked them too.

Please let me know the names of the two 'gentlemen' shooters via PM and I'll have a word with John N. Maybe a friendly word in their ear might do some good and even if you cannot remember their names I will raise the issue with John via email. Maybe a large sign in the club house might remind a 'few' of the etiquette/rules.

Please don't be put off by this and to make sure it doesn't happen again we should coordinate our booking in time so we get to shoot and score on the same squad. I'm sure that others (PhilR) for one would be more than willing to do this also. Most trap shooters are friendly, just sounds you had the pair that were not so accommodating.

Hopefully catch up soon.

DT

+1 most trap shooters and yes even skeet shooters are very friendly and I have personally never had an issue.

I'm sure it's not a trap thing it's more of a human nature thing that you get the one that doesn't think what they are saying or doing. Long winded way of saying don't give up, give it another go.

D

Back