Shoot preview.....North Ayrshire

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darkside

More of a preview of Sunday's 100 bird registered/Scottish qualifier than a review, although IF I can get away for a couple of hours Sunday morning I'll do a review (cutting silage today and tomorrow, contractor was supposed to come Saturday, now he's coming Sunday :( )

Finished work last night about 7pm, quick bit of dinner, set off for North Ayrshire shooting ground and 40 minutes later arrived for a practice round as they are open late till 9.30 every Wednesday night, summer/winter (floodlight compact sporting, skeet and trap on dark nights). Sunny and warm, the place is clean and tidy, well maintained with paths round the compact sporting, skeet, Olimpic skeet, 6 DTL (4 covered) 4 ABT (3 covered) and covered OT layout. The 14 sporting stands are spread out over undulating lawn like grass with a great variety of targets using the hills and rocky out crops to test you. The first 5 stands are in between some of the trap layouts and are typical overheads, quartering crossers and an incomer fired from about 80+yds up a hill that stays about 6 feet of the ground then just drops about 35 yds out. Stand 6 is a fast climbing midi teal from behind a bush with a long r-l that comes floating/curling down the steep hill to the right that needs more lead than it looks, infact it looks like its hardly moving, but it needs 4 feet in front and a foot below, great target!!! 7 is a fast driven and a tricky distance teal 8 is a looper and fast 30yd climbing crosser 9 is a battue that comes from behind a bush on the left, goes over your head, show's 2/3 of its self for a moment as it curled out high in front before going edge on and plumiting back down in front to the left followed by a distance crow 10 pair of crossers 11 beulifull stand on the edge of a deep, steep gully with a quartering incomer cutting across l-r and a fast quartering going away r-l plenty time to see both, but you have to be quick to kill them where you want to before they dissappered 12 top of a hill, rabbit quarters fast down a hill in front/left almost edge on toward the bottom of the steep hill you stand on (best rabbit I've seen) then a clever orange bird skims over the hill straight infront, huggs the contour of the hill about a foot off the ground, follows down the hill well under your feet and hits a sheep netting fence if your not fast, looks great 13 was a climbing r-l coming from a gorse hill that kind of dies about 40yds out and drops with a low, fast, quartering away r-l green clay from below and 15 feet to the right that needs gun speed to catch it before it goes edge on at 40yds and starts dropping too 14 pair of easy grouse. Realy enjoyed my nights practice and sussed out how to shoot every stand.......I have a feeling there will be some changes for Sunday, hope I can make it!!!

Back