ips tries to shoot esp

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Alas, I believe he is lost to us Les my friend  :(

We shall mourn his passing and remember the good times.

DT
Yes Greg......the once great ips is now in the land of the hedge monkey!!! Perhaps someone should organise an "IPS Memorial OT Shoot". I'm even suspecting that he may soon be buying camo gear and maroon socks! Such a sad loss to the world of trap shooting!  :bye:

I didn't realised that my pair of maroon socks rendered me stigmatised. This explains a whole world of social difficulty over the decades. Thank you for the heads-up, Les.

my apologies my only defence is that I appear to have lost my mind.

tell you what les going sporting is like planning a military exercise, you have to lug a Bergen around with all yet kit, tis very weird.

:angel:  could be better if he moved over to pigeon watch forum :smile:  

I quite fancy that Olympic skeet that looks fun

update

went to Coniston with a friend who shoots many disciplines but hasn't shot esp for a while so we were both learning. Decided to work our way around the stands and not move on until we straightened it. At this point let me just say what a jolly good time we had I thoroughly enjoyed it and I never imagined I would ever be converted but having tried it I have to admit I love it. The challenge and indeed for me the total change from thirty years of trap is most refreshing. On with the story. It rained constantly but paths are gravel so no issues oh and the breakfast in the phenomenal log cabin was excellent, I digress. Some of the targets such as glorified dtl jobs or dtl in reverse I found easy. The teal and the driven off tower I coped with were I struggled was crossers but after a while I felt less intimidated by them and got stuck in. There was a stand we both struggled on and had to repeat it quite a few times it was a right to left crossed about quartering I suppose and fourty yards or so, having watched shotcam stuff and read some stuff I am thinking this needs some of that lead thing so I gave if four ft missed gave it some more missed gave it more missed then scratched my head surely it can't need more in a moment of madness I think stuff this just shoot the ruddy target set up stance at kill zone wound back halfway to the point I first see it (thanks fdt) called mounted when I saw it then shot AT it, took front edge off, eh what's that about I didn't perceive any lead, took target again same thing shot AT it target breaks, go figure. From then on I shoot AT everything apart from very big target off high tower which I just flicked through. Everything much easier now I have got lead out my head. Another we struggled on was a left right incoming very low but looked level up a ravine after about three misses I lower my barrell right down (I am shooting everything gun down) call target mount when I see it swing through kill target.

I am loving this esp such a buzz to work out a target and such a challenge we even had a few wow you hit that spot on moments. Am I fully converted from trap .............. I don't like to say but

?

update

went to Coniston with a friend who shoots many disciplines but hasn't shot esp for a while so we were both learning. Decided to work our way around the stands and not move on until we straightened it. At this point let me just say what a jolly good time we had I thoroughly enjoyed it and I never imagined I would ever be converted but having tried it I have to admit I love it. The challenge and indeed for me the total change from thirty years of trap is most refreshing. On with the story. It rained constantly but paths are gravel so no issues oh and the breakfast in the phenomenal log cabin was excellent, I digress. Some of the targets such as glorified dtl jobs or dtl in reverse I found easy. The teal and the driven off tower I coped with were I struggled was crossers but after a while I felt less intimidated by them and got stuck in. There was a stand we both struggled on and had to repeat it quite a few times it was a right to left crossed about quartering I suppose and fourty yards or so, having watched shotcam stuff and read some stuff I am thinking this needs some of that lead thing so I gave if four ft missed gave it some more missed gave it more missed then scratched my head surely it can't need more in a moment of madness I think stuff this just shoot the ruddy target set up stance at kill zone wound back halfway to the point I first see it (thanks fdt) called mounted when I saw it then shot AT it, took front edge off, eh what's that about I didn't perceive any lead, took target again same thing shot AT it target breaks, go figure. From then on I shoot AT everything apart from very big target off high tower which I just flicked through. Everything much easier now I have got lead out my head. Another we struggled on was a left right incoming very low but looked level up a ravine after about three misses I lower my barrell right down (I am shooting everything gun down) call target mount when I see it swing through kill target.

I am loving this esp such a buzz to work out a target and such a challenge we even had a few wow you hit that spot on moments. Am I fully converted from trap .............. I don't like to say but

?
And this is why AGES ago I said that trap shooters are like people at a buffet who have only discovered the ham sandwiches. 

I assume you are swinging through pretty quickly if seeing no lead. That's fine for now, but on longer stuff you will need to see a gap. Also, if you are swinging through fast, a slight change in your timing will screw you up. Better to slow up a bit and see the gap I reckon.

I have no idea about lead will I have no knowledge of how much to give it I am sure it was gun speed and natural timing that imparted some lead but I can tell you as far as my brain and eyes are concerned I shot AT them, I cant figure it but it will have to do for now.

You have been shooting swing through for 30 years at trap the only trouble is if you hold point is wrong the swing will be faster or slower than it should be,but when its right you will think your shooting straight at it.

You have been shooting swing through for 30 years at trap the only trouble is if you hold point is wrong the swing will be faster or slower than it should be,but when its right you will think your shooting straight at it.
that makes sense.

if you're hitting em then leave it at that mate! You only need to worry once you don't hit em.

update

went to Coniston with a friend who shoots many disciplines but hasn't shot esp for a while so we were both learning. Decided to work our way around the stands and not move on until we straightened it. At this point let me just say what a jolly good time we had I thoroughly enjoyed it and I never imagined I would ever be converted but having tried it I have to admit I love it. The challenge and indeed for me the total change from thirty years of trap is most refreshing. On with the story. It rained constantly but paths are gravel so no issues oh and the breakfast in the phenomenal log cabin was excellent, I digress. Some of the targets such as glorified dtl jobs or dtl in reverse I found easy. The teal and the driven off tower I coped with were I struggled was crossers but after a while I felt less intimidated by them and got stuck in. There was a stand we both struggled on and had to repeat it quite a few times it was a right to left crossed about quartering I suppose and forty yards or so, having watched shotcam stuff and read some stuff I am thinking this needs some of that lead thing so I gave if four ft missed gave it some more missed gave it more missed then scratched my head surely it can't need more in a moment of madness I think stuff this just shoot the ruddy target set up stance at kill zone wound back halfway to the point I first see it (thanks fdt) called mounted when I saw it then shot AT it, took front edge off, eh what's that about I didn't perceive any lead, took target again same thing shot AT it target breaks, go figure. From then on I shoot AT everything apart from very big target off high tower which I just flicked through. Everything much easier now I have got lead out my head. Another we struggled on was a left right incoming very low but looked level up a ravine after about three misses I lower my barrell right down (I am shooting everything gun down) call target mount when I see it swing through kill target.

?
If I understand this correctly the target was quartering somewhat ? If so it makes total sense that in common with most misses on this type of bird you missed it massively in front. It can be surprising to watch even extremely competent shooters either miss or take the front edge off these, the brain is so reluctant to believe that the speed of the initial chase and the time lapse from decision to fire and the actual shot going off will provide adequate lead. 

Latest posts

Back