ips does sporting

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ips

Here we go ..

I have already thanked Phil for his invitation and eluded to meeting him etc so i will stick to the shooting bit. Cheers Phil.

Arrived at ground 9.15 for a 10am start i knew i was on Phil squad and another nice bloke joined us and also some bloke called clegg who turned out to be not only a nice bloke but quite handy at this sporting mallarkey, i reckon he has shot a bit of it before.

Anyway after the greetings etc off we trot to the 1st stand a kind of left to right thing and a going away dtl type thing on report didn't do to bad think it was 5x8. Then the next stand were i was even trusted to push the button for the aforesaid clegg bloke, this was a pair of coming towards but proper high things i think a similar score on that. A few more stands with similar results then one that i really enjoyed a right to left going away but a bit sideways type thing followed by an incoming rabbit although why a rabbit would run towards you remains a mystery anyway did very good on that shot 7x8 missing one of the none rabbit ones. Now i am beginning to get into it a bit more even accepting coaching from Mrs ips who noticed i wasn't letting the target get to the kill point but shooting quick like trap. I knew i would struggle with crossers as this is a totally alien target for me and the next stand proved my worries were not without substance a sim (i now sound like a sporter) pair of right to left sideways jobs but quite a way off and difficult to see against trees type things proved to be stupid and not even possible to hit (i blame wrong choke and or wrong bead or summat) Phil did ok as did the other bloke and this clegg bloke who by now i was convinced had shot before. A disappointing big fat 0 was entered onto my score sheet. Stopped for lunch kindly bought by Phil then off to finish. Phil and the others assured me that 56 as a first go was not an embarrassment but i fear they were just being kind. I won a very nice fleece jacket in raffle so at least came away with something.

Conclusion

sporting is difficult as many different targets requiring different techniques as far as i could ascertain.

Sporting is much more informal than trap.

Sporting shooters are actually quite nice after all.

Fibre wad cartridges are very dirty.

Did i enjoy it ? Yes it was fun to shoot something different and with good company.

Would i shoot it again ? Yes once a year if it was a similar type of fun charity shoot but if i am totally honest (which i know you want me to be) as a hard core trappie for many years it just does not appeal or excite me but i gave it a go.

The hardest bit for me was having to wait for the target and not shoot as soon as i saw it.

The end

well done Sir. very British of you.

I also tried DTL or something years ago,  or ATA,, well only one bang a clay,,,,,

Well done ips nice to see a dedicated trappista try another discipline, I like to dip my toe into serious trap once in a while I think it can help sometimes with sharpening me up on the faster sporting targets. Do you think you could incorporate any Hedge Monkey business in the trap game.

Thanks Jim

thanks Simon the answer is a resounding no the methods are totally different and i can think of nothing in sporting that can be of help to shooting trap in fact i would go as far as to say that if your serious and dedicated at trap then sporting other than once a year or so would be hugely detrimental for most trappies. The disciplines are poles apart in technique.

IPS, I haven't shot trap (I presume DTL doesn't count as trap to you hardcore trappists :) ), what do you mean by it being much more informal?

Sent from my mobile wiv fumbs

IPS, I haven't shot trap (I presume DTL doesn't count as trap to you hardcore trappists :) ), what do you mean by it being much more informal?Sent from my mobile wiv fumbs
trap shoots are very much a highly focused approach we don't like noise or chatting some of us don't even like much chatting or socializing between lines and until the last target is shot. Much mental preparation can be seen by many before up to and during each line. Its as though its the end result that matters rather than any enjoyment of the actual shooting itself. It could be this is they case with some sporting comp obviously i don't know but from my perception over the years and my experience at the weekend sporting is more about the shooting bit and the social side. I could of course be talking total cack.

Hmmm, trap sounds like fun!
That said, I'll have to try it sometime.

Sent from my mobile wiv fumbs

Last edited by a moderator:
I talk to everyone....just saying :wink: whether they like it or not :laugh:

any serious shooter,or most any sportsman at the top of their game will be totally focused. they have to be. I'm sure all the top clay shots are the same, in fact, to try to ask for more that a polite'  'good morning' from any of 'em is all you can expect.in fact , during a comp", I know a lot of 'em will not have a 'drink' for a week during and before competitions,,but then after,  most will party!!,  Africa is a great place to learn about dedication.

clays are  mostly a concentration/mind game,,,, coupled with a lot of cash, practice, and opportunity! :hunter:

Beware of that Clegg bloke , he may well not have won the last of his summer wine.

Yes,  I seem to recall you and the microphone at OLSS  getting very personal last time we shot OT  :)

:santa:
When you were trying my guns out.....or another time. Don't remember the microphone though......I don't normally need one :wink:

Well, the long awaited report and I have to say, that I take my hat off to you Sir,................................sorry, just picking up my toupee ! I can accept that you found it unusual to have to wait for the optimum killing point of the target, but surely that is what you are doing when you shoot trap, it is just that normally when awaiting an incoming target, the sporting guy will be watching it over the end of his gun, with the stock out of his shoulder until,...... NOW,........... mount, pull ahead and BANG. If you were shooting gun up, it could have been a bit of a wait, which would also be a bit tiring. Rabbits running towards you, well, yes they will,  if they have 'myxomatosis'. This of course makes them blind so they are unable to see any danger, it also makes them a lot slower though !  Do not worry if you find them difficult, I can always find you a good Lurcher. Yes, we sporters are usually a happy and sociable bunch (there are exceptions) and we do not care if someone in the next County farts as we are about to shoot. I can remember those Saturday Sealand mornings, we even had to whisper in the bloody clubhouse ! So, just once a year hey ? I suppose a 100 bird all round is out of the question then ?

ips,  ips,

Good news, that rabbit thing is sorted. You can build your own Ferret........just found an ad. on PW selling 2 Ferret kits. Bit late to phone him now though, leave it until tomorrow.

Latest posts

Back