ips tries to shoot esp

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
so how the heck do you guage how much lead you need. For instance middle station on skeet left to right job, how much lead ?

take same target to a sporting but increase distance by double so about thirty yards, how much lead.

I know there are probably other factors but generally speaking
Coach Solomons took great delight in putting me to shoot consecutive birds where the lead appeared to be the same amount upon pulling the trigger but the distance, speed and angle were completely different. There's a BASC diagram about this subject and Coach was quite rude about it.

For me it's about calibrating. If you know what station 4 on skeet looks  like then if a similar bird is going faster or it is further away you can make an adjustment. Dropping crows that hang in the air are another good one for calibrating by distance.

The trouble I've had is that it's also about set up and timing. I was thinking I needed masses of lead because I was shooting swing through and Coach Hall showed me it was because I was too slow to get started on the swing. Once I was shooting a different gun the lead decreased and there was much less difference between the three main methods.

So yes, if you're intellectual about your shooting then calibration helps populate your knowledge banks reasonably quickly. 

shotgun_zpsjxsncde0.gif
shotgun_zps9ovtpf1l.gif
 55% not reached my money is still in my pocket !......like i said ian there is a lot to learn but all good fun  :smile:

indeed there is Dave, many thanks to you and Paul for this morning I learned some stuff from both and enjoyed my shooting.

ps

main thing I learned was that I am really bad at it BUT we can only go one way.

Why not have a run up to Bobbin Mill @ Scorton, Nr Malmo, its a skeet ground which also has a compack layout, fibre wad, but it will learn you about lead required....

Talk to Graeme Stirzaker,  whats maintained lead.....   push through under power... probably the best sporting shooter in the north for many many years....

Or even come to Crabtree at Lupton, will join you for a play if you do, fibre wad but a massive range of targets....

If you have the will to win you will learn fast. but if you just shoot it just for the shake of it and enjoyment only then that could take longer !

you know me Dave I don't do things by half and I am competitive by nature so I dare say after a while I will start to take it more seriously.

at this point I have to admit that as far as sporting is concerned coaching probably is a must, learning how to shoot such a variety of targets on your own would be very difficult. There I have said it but don't anyone ever remind me ?

you know me Dave I don't do things by half and I am competitive by nature so I dare say after a while I will start to take it more seriously.

at this point I have to admit that as far as sporting is concerned coaching probably is a must, learning how to shoot such a variety of targets on your own would be very difficult. There I have said it but don't anyone ever remind me ?
Good coaching is great of course, but sporting is a huge learning curve. It's like trying to learn a foreign language. Basics come fairly quickly, a good accent takes forever. You will need to buy a lot of cartridges.

If I give clays those kinds of leads I'd be in front by at least 2 feet  :D :blink: , genuinely surprised he hit some of those, especially the close ones. The only time I see big gaps is on very rangy crossers and monster battues. 

Today was the first time that i have pulled a trigger for 13 months i was a bit rusty to say the least  :lol:  and i have not shot sporting for 10 years competitively ( i am a shadow of my former self  ) but i may return this year if the fishing does not get in the way  :lol:

If I give clays those kinds of leads I'd be in front by at least 2 feet  :D :blink: , genuinely surprised he hit some of those, especially the close ones. The only time I see big gaps is on very rangy crossers and monster battues. 
Appeared to me as well - perhaps there is a certain amount of camer zoom there so those clays may be further out?

Anyway - ips if you find time here is some good advice:

http://www.icsi.org.uk/shooting-advice/

i just viewed it and thought he would  be missing behind. Amazing how everyone sees it differently.

i just viewed it and thought he would  be missing behind. Amazing how everyone sees it differently.
I just worked out why you call yourself chippy.  :lol:  Have you tried less lead ?  :lol:

The leads on that video didn't look that unreasonable to me either, but if the cross is supposed to represent where you see the end of the gun I'd definitely be further under than that looks on most of them.

To a certain extent it will all come with experience, over the last year I've been to lots of grounds and seen hundreds of different presentations, but I don't think you can beat some good coaching to set you on the right path.

Certainly the best decision I've ever made and its progressed my shooting greatly.  

Difficult to teach on a forum as I'm sure we all see things differently.  I shoot a lot of maintained lead and I'll see more of a gap than someone who shoots swing-through for example.

for the record I will not be seaking formal coaching for this or any discipline. Over the many years I have competed I have met many great shooters and indeed coaches so there is only a phone call or email away from getting free advice and or informal coaching such as today from Dave and Paul, there both very cheap ... Well free actually ?

Latest posts

Back