ICTSF World Sporting

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How embarrassing .

We now have a World Championship event organised by our beloved CPSA that will be remembered as a shambles but with a great ice cream van???

Sounds like Nick and his boys have got their Cream mixed up .

Here's a clue Nick, put on an event worthy of the Cream of British Shooters .

How embarrassing .

We now have a World Championship event organised by our beloved CPSA that will be remembered as a shambles but with a great ice cream van???

Sounds like Nick and his boys have got their Cream mixed up .

Here's a clue Nick, put on an event worthy of the Cream of British Shooters .
Ice cream was the highlight and kept me going.  Massive whippy vanilla with two flakes and sauce if you wanted it.  Same at the Beretta which disappointed me but the ice cream was heaven.

Perhaps some older members may remember the original White Gold Cup, set up by myself at various locations around England and the Finals at Weston Park Shropshire . Perhaps you may wish to comment upon the quality of the targets, the format, and the prize money ?

Thank you  Geoff Dales and Steven Dales of Gamebore and Barry Hearn for giving me the opportunity to stage a good event (s)

It can still be done , you only have to ask . Save your money and I will see you all at The British at Hodnet.
I remember this, shows how old I am...

I managed to reach the final one year at Weston Park, was knocked out in the second round but still walked away with a cheque for £35, which was a considerable sum and more than covered my cost's for the day

Happy memories

Just got back on my sofa after managing to find others to fill our STR slots today and get a refund on them.

Regret committing nearly 900 quid to the whole event,(entries,shells,food,hotels,mileage pool etc etc, It was all as written by Digweed and Faulds, Blue 3 on Thursday was just an eyesight test and Friday totally different .It was hard work even for those of much greater ability than myself.

The whole thing was crackers,like the separate parts were divorced from each other, for the vets and those of lesser mobility they could have put on a shuttle like Sporting targets as it was a fine distance from the ESP to booking in or any food or beverages, Food was shocking, make your own brews and one of the earns was down today SATURDAY the busiest day, a couple of outside caterers offering spuds/pizza chips etc?????? would have offered a bit of variety, the whole thing was permanently deserted. I bet the organizers wanted too much for the privilege. No free drinks or snacks. for 65/100 bad show again..Bearing in  the majority of entrants were in hotels overnight, raid the breakfast anybody?????. For our overseas visitors im embarrassed, some chairs at the start of courses, gazebos????? a considerstion for any spectators, not that i saw. It just looked like a rapists priced event put on with a council house budget.Thats aside from the target issues.

Last edited by a moderator:
Told Terry Bobbett in a regional meeting that they should stop wasting our money on legal fees,jollies and so forth apparently i upset him,problem being no one else seems to tell them the facts until this weekend.

They have no idea what they are doing no clue at all...they should be resigning for there complete failure to be able to get anything right!

sounds horrendous   not cheap either !    I believe in general esp targets are too hard  for the mortal shooter , yes its a championship  but lets be reasonable , anything moving can easily be missed !    but this shoot is being seriously slated on social media .    the word cashcow   has been used ,   not good for our governing body .   :bye:     

I shot the red course Thursday. I never went back for the blue course the following day-thought that I would be better cutting my losses on hotel fees etc. 

As far as the red course went,I thought the target presentation and variety was very thin gruel. 90% of the targets were edge on and either quartering or going away. Apart from anything else,when a firm like Promatic are generous enough to sponsor the event, I would have thought the least they could expect in return was a demonstration of how versatile and adaptable their traps were. Most of the targets thrown on red could be thrown by a 50 year old hand trap-it takes a matter of seconds to tilt a trap base,to allow belly or dome to show

The stand that stands out in my mind on red,was the long rabbit looper. That target would have been plenty hard enough if a standard clay was thrown. To throw a rabbit clay at that distance,is nothing short of insanity. After one of my shoots,whilst tidying up,it is pretty normal to see rabbit clays with 2-3 holes in them,and still be intact-and that would be from shooting around the 30 metre mark-not 60 plus!

There has been several references already made regarding the cpsa-I would wonder what the wider financial ramifications will be? How many people,that shot this shoot will say "sod it" when next year comes around? I would hazard a guess that well in excess of 50%-probably 70-80% of the cpsa annual income is generated by the sporting discipline alone. I think that it is high time that this should be recognised,and subsequently treated with the respect and importance the sporting discipline deserves.

One final comment,and I don't want it to sound like its any form of personal abuse,but if I paid a builder to build a wall,and it was wonky or it fell down,I would complain. I just wonder how much sporting the course setters for both this event,and the equally dire Berretta World actually shoot? Do they enter any run of the mill 100 registered shoots,,let alone any of the majors? I would say that Steve Lovatt and John Dyson are the 2 most prominent and proven course setters in most peoples minds at present. Both of whom actively shoot the competition circuit.

I just looked at a C Bramley on the CPSA scores, not esp only OSK in this period

Went back 3 periods

Now, many of you know me and I would have to agree with you that I can be a moaning Git , I can also have a laugh and take the leg pulling .

But let us have a think about this fiasco, Clive Bramley is one hell of a nice chap , a fine shot and son of the owner of Doveridge. He does know a thing or two about target setting , this time he and his team got it very wrong. But there are a number of things that are wrong besides the quality of targets. 

We all know that once a competition has started , it is not possible to alter the target tragectories or position of traps , but they have altered traps and flight lines so how can it now be a fair competition . They have possibly stopped a competitor from Thursday / Friday from being a World Champion?

Someone asked why were the targets not vetted before the event started ? 

I am sorry to say that this event highlights how out of touch many many people are with our sport , and sadly it isn't going to change for the better.

I think this also show the failing of the CPSA classification system in that the difficulty of the course proven by scores should be used to determine shooters averages rather than just out of 100. There's a lot of C class scores in the results and even AAA shooters who have shot an A class score. 

I know it's been done to death on here before but to me they've just proved the argument against their system.

The CPSA board as is will never learn because they are to conceited to listen,matters have been raised at regional meetings and they simply downplay or completely ignore them.

I have never heard of Bobbet or most of the others shooting at all never mind on a regular basis yet some how they have wormed their way onto or even back onto the board after being voted off.

Yet he goes on camera saying its good shoot....how the F*** would he know?

When we actually get someone on the board that knows what they are doing they get forced out by him and his cronies and when confronted he chooses to runaway and hide in the toilet!

No idea of what people want from the association,no idea at all of event management just worried about there own image which in the eyes of most people i know is sh*t!

Surely you set the course, then put together two squads to trial shoot it? I suggest the squad would be made up 6 shooters, preferably two AA, two A and two B class. Each shooter must have shot over 100 reg shoots previously. They get a free round, but can't shoot the main event obviously. Then watch them, listen to them. Amend as needed. 

Surely you set the course, then put together two squads to trial shoot it? I suggest the squad would be made up 6 shooters, preferably two AA, two A and two B class. Each shooter must have shot over 100 reg shoots previously. They get a free round, but can't shoot the main event obviously. Then watch them, listen to them. Amend as needed. 
That sounds far too sensible . 

This in essence is how it is run in SA, Mostly with FSP, but also any national or international event. a jury will check each stand, and if needed will amend a target/s, a squad/jury can see problems with safety or shootability that a course setter overlooks. Nobody is above learning a new trick or so.

I shot the preliminary yesterday (not particularly well) and that was pretty depressing with all the stands being so close together, sportrap this morning which was ok with just one silly target, then the red course which I shot fairly well.

Its not particularly exciting with lots of quartering edge-on stuff, and going away/teal.  Really struggled to pick the purple looper and going away orange on stand 2, another example of shoots trying to beat people with these colours against dark backgrounds.

Best 2 stands were 11 & 12 in my opinion; a sensible crosser on each with a fairly steady looper on 11 and a battue that needed a decent gap on 12.

The village is laughable, about as bad as it was at the English Open; couple of trade stands, CPSA tent, and a food & drink tent.  This area had a nuclear fallout feel about it, completely deserted most of the time.

I won't say anything about the stands being shut and scores changed as I'm of the same opinion as everyone else.  Just a disappointing spectacle of shooting, it's cost me quite a bit of money to shoot this weekend, and to be honest I've found it hard to lift mylsef. The saving grace has been that I've had good company and not been on my own.

We moan, whinge and complain, but the CPSA are very used to hearing complaints from the eternal whingers , so in a few days it will be all forgotten .

Nothing will change and we will lurch towards the next disaster.

I am sure that I will be reading a Don Brunt report in a few weeks time in Clay Shooter magazine  about how wonderful this event was .

Maybe for a change someone could highlight how the CPSA is no longer fit for purpose in organising and promoting Clay shooting .

We moan, whinge and complain, but the CPSA are very used to hearing complaints from the eternal whingers , so in a few days it will be all forgotten .

Nothing will change and we will lurch towards the next disaster.

I am sure that I will be reading a Don Brunt report in a few weeks time in Clay Shooter magazine  about how wonderful this event was .

Maybe for a change someone could highlight how the CPSA is no longer fit for purpose in organising and promoting Clay shooting .
True, the only way is to cut of the flow of money, next year im not doing anything big unless its at Hodnet.

Sadly cutting the flow of money to events will only kill the events ! To kill the snake ,you need  to cut the head off......

Target Setters Bible!    My job is to entertain the shooters and give them an interesting shoot! 

Targets over the last ten years got harder and some plain stupid and a lot of luck is needed some days.

Recipe.  First target of report pair,  bread and butter, 2nd med to hard! but must be shootable!

Simo pairs must have time to shoot both targets!

Don't put 2 long targets on a stand will cause long tailbacks!

No edge on targets or black against the trees or orange in the sky!

Most of it is common sense?also I never wear glasses while setting? If I can see them so can you!

I'm a big believer that all levels of shooter should be able to come off any stand on a course with 50% if they have performed to their standard, 1 easy to medium, 1 medium to hard. You can't beat your bread and butter clients to death on any stand let alone every stand.

Latest posts

Back