Helice,, zz,

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim Wheeler

instead of hijacking/off tack another thread,,,,,, :biggrin:
 I am also a bit in the dark with this one,, you can read the rules at FITASC.com, I have shot AT 5 of the things, got 1 I think, ages ago.
se I see Skeet is interested too,, have no idea of cost, but not cheap, I know, maybe Tinker Bell can advise,,only available at 5 grounds tho`,,,
here is a video,, others on U tube,..
http://romeworldchamps.wordpress.com/what-is-helice/

From what I understand, could be £3 a shot...but you only shoot 20 in a competition...or something along those lines.

Looks amazingly hard but fun!

I heard a guy talking about it at a local shoot recently, it seems he had also been live Pigeon shooting (shot similarly to Helice)

West Kent (in the video) is near me, but I can't remember if it was them who sold up their traps, or somewhere else

Last edited by a moderator:
No Helice at West Kent SS now. Invicta club is near Tunbridge.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have a go I loved it. I posted full report on general in jan

From what I understand, could be £3 a shot...but you only shoot 20 in a competition...or something along those lines.

Looks amazingly hard but fun!

I heard a guy talking about it at a local shoot recently, it seems he had also been live Pigeon shooting (shot similarly to Helice)

West Kent (in the video) is near me, but I can't remember if it was them who sold up their traps, or somewhere else
While you should never play the cost element against the enjoyment element, if it does really cost £3 for a single target, I would find it a really hard discipline to get involved in. Being Scottish a gene is switched on when costs are brought into account :) I can shoot 25 OT for £3 or 20 ZZ for £60....... oofftt that gene has switched on and gone into hyper drive!

Seriously it cannot be £3 per target!

It is closer to two pound per target I think. What you have to realise is that the format is different to other shoots only 20 targets but all day of a job and no more expensive than 100 anything else

Ian you have tried it and obviously liked it... 20 targets in one day... I'm out!

I know mate its difficult to get your head around but worth having a go if you get the chance.

Hi Jim

In terms of cost, think of it the same as shooting 100 sporting (combining you entry fee and cartridge cost) is pretty much the same as a 20 bird entry cost for Helice.

Pratice birds range from £1 to £1.20, people shoot between 2 & 10 practice before a comp starts.

With two grounds (A1 and Rugby) having two rings comps now start at 10:30ish and are finished by 2:30 if you have says 25-30 entries.

At the UK Championship there were 51 entries and the comp finished by 3:45 (Shoot-offs followed).

Rugby has comps in November and December. A1 will start practice and comps again next year as will Invicta.

Also look at the rules posted on the U.S. Helice Association website, they read a little easier than on FITASC's.

Hope that helps.

I tried the practice day at A1 a few months back, and thoroughly enjoyed myself, hitting 8/10 and missing the first two. "Free coaching" available to us first timers from he very kindly others present, including TinkerBell loudly shouting "think cobra, not python!" from the back somewhere, but somehow I managed to hit the remaining 8.
£1 a shot is not cheap, but I thought it was a greet game. Just wish it was more readily available. I was at A1 a few days before the practice and saw them setting up, it takes some doing to get the traps in place and running smoothly, and then you have to manually load the discs into the propellers, and there is a lot of rubbish to clear up afterwards. Probably contributes to the overall cost.
That said, can't wait to have another go.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I found the ZZ people a very welcoming bunch, great generosity. People stayed for the shootoffs, handshakes all round afterwards. They have style. The crowd pick up the pieces later, like in polo.

thanks for the info people,, the video looks fun, more about fast instinctive shooting, I do get up to Rugby as its my wife`s home town, must try to coinside with a visit to Rugby trap, they also have a nice website.

I really fancy a go at helice as I an in rugby. Anyone who goes there fancy giving me a nudge one day so I can tag along. :)

ShootClay Helice meet up event? How many people do you need to make it viable for a ground to put on an event?

Back