Has The World of Clayshooting Gone Mad?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I watched someone miss 6 on one stand in the Hampshire one last year and magically managed to shoot 65/70 
similar to fake news, alternate facts and the like - - - personal math

I mean, no one ever said that there is only one way to count.  Some politicians use an alternate alternate math to suit particular occasions and there is no limit on the methodologies.  Great to be living in the 21st Century innit?

Last edited by a moderator:
 A friends daughter and a couple of her mates worked at Four Counties Berkshire working the traps and scoring, but gave up because of the constant bullying from the regular hot shots, insisting that there mate had indeed had a hit when it was clearly a miss, these girls were doing it to earn some much needed holiday money instead of doing the usual table service jobs, as they wanted to be outside in the fresh air, but of course did not realise the amount of crap they were going to get, and that is our sports loss

A friends daughter and a couple of her mates worked at Four Counties Berkshire working the traps and scoring, but gave up because of the constant bullying from the regular hot shots, insisting that there mate had indeed had a hit when it was clearly a miss, these girls were doing it to earn some much needed holiday money instead of doing the usual table service jobs, as they wanted to be outside in the fresh air, but of course did not realise the amount of crap they were going to get, and that is our sports loss
Yes I've told my two to have a thick skin when they start soon..

I have on many occasions backed scorers up when the shooter has blatantly missed the target and i think the girls at 4 CTC do a good job.

Also someone i shoot with on a regular basis doesn't see so well and often thinks the wad is a chip...he gets the same treatment a definitive NO!

there cheering bullies picking on youngsters , should be ashamed of themselves

I nearly got filled in a few weeks back by some guy who took it as a personal affront after I explained to him on one stand that no, you are not allowed to fill your 8 shot Benelli auto and rip through as many targets as you can without reloading, and that you are allowed to load no more than 2 shells at any one time. He grumbled under his breath to his mates about my "good deed for the day" and moved on. I was polite and I don't think I came across as a jobsworth, as I hate that sort of behaviour, I was just telling the guy the rules lest he be ejected for unsafe behaviour, I chose not to mention his lack of hearing and eye protection after his initial surly reaction. It should be mentioned that Refs are usually kids and they can easily be intimidated by large groups of non members, so it's sometimes up to the adults to step in.

At a later stand when I caught that party up again I entered the cage and tidied up hulls from another member of his party with an O/U who just ignored the bin and ejected all over the floor of the cage. I was shooting with my wife who has some mobility issues and didn't want her to have any problems with her footing. This was apparently the last straw for the guy with the auto who proceeded to shout insults at me from a distance and apparently wanted to give me a kicking. I couldn't actually hear or see any of this as I was wearing defenders and bent over picking up shells but the rest of my party assured me that his behaviour was extremely aggressive. When I stood up and turned round he was stomping off in the direction of the car park.

It is always so satisfying to encounter such a sterling example of the shooting community.  I'm sure we all endeavor to take such models to heart and do our best to make the most of it.

I nearly got filled in a few weeks back by some guy who took it as a personal affront after I explained to him on one stand that no, you are not allowed to fill your 8 shot Benelli auto and rip through as many targets as you can without reloading, and that you are allowed to load no more than 2 shells at any one time. He grumbled under his breath to his mates about my "good deed for the day" and moved on. I was polite and I don't think I came across as a jobsworth, as I hate that sort of behaviour, I was just telling the guy the rules lest he be ejected for unsafe behaviour, I chose not to mention his lack of hearing and eye protection after his initial surly reaction. It should be mentioned that Refs are usually kids and they can easily be intimidated by large groups of non members, so it's sometimes up to the adults to step in.

At a later stand when I caught that party up again I entered the cage and tidied up hulls from another member of his party with an O/U who just ignored the bin and ejected all over the floor of the cage. I was shooting with my wife who has some mobility issues and didn't want her to have any problems with her footing. This was apparently the last straw for the guy with the auto who proceeded to shout insults at me from a distance and apparently wanted to give me a kicking. I couldn't actually hear or see any of this as I was wearing defenders and bent over picking up shells but the rest of my party assured me that his behaviour was extremely aggressive. When I stood up and turned round he was stomping off in the direction of the car park.
Simple fix in that situation. He's shooting clays with a firearm. Politely ask if his firearm certificate is conditioned for clay shooting and if the shooting ground are aware he's using it? My guess is no on both counts.

PM.

As the title suggests, what are we doing?

I noticed recently that cartridge prices have increased because of the sudden rise of the cost of Lead (not).

Why then do the manufacturers penalise the poor & frail such as myself by charging me more for 21 gram cartridges and letting the incredibly wealthy clayshooting fraternity pay less for 28 gram cartridges ?

Then we have the talented shooters who rob us weekly of our hard earned cash by winning all the prize money to maintain their lavish lifestyles, who then do not wish to represent their country in International competitions?

I was shocked to hear only the other day that we (the sport) are paying referees £80 a day to referee at Nationals and Internationals .

Surely the referees should do it for nothing? After all they are having time off work and travelling sometimes hundreds of miles , having luxury overnight stays in Premier Inns and Travel Lodges at their own expense AND now wanting paying????

Only last month did I hear of a referee being punched by a County shooter , what an honour ? Imagine the street credability of saying " I was punched by my hero"

Surely it must be a privilege to sit on a chair for upto 12 hours a day surrounded by athletes including World Champions and having the honour of debating with competitors whether he hit a clay or not.

I think it is time that referees gave up receiving payment and donated their fees to the CPSA to enable them to have a banquet at the end of season to honour the Trade and Press for their contribution to our sport.

Our sport is in a very sorry state, made all the sorrier by people like me being allowed outdoors :lol: :lol: :lol:
like it well done

Only last month did I hear of a referee being punched by a County shooter , what an honour ? Imagine the street credability of saying " I was punched by my hero"

when are you free I don’t mind travelling to Shropshire and fulfill this this for you.
hope your feeling a bit better Grumpy 😘😆😆😆😆😆😆😆😆😆

As the title suggests, what are we doing?

I noticed recently that cartridge prices have increased because of the sudden rise of the cost of Lead (not).

Why then do the manufacturers penalise the poor & frail such as myself by charging me more for 21 gram cartridges and letting the incredibly wealthy clayshooting fraternity pay less for 28 gram cartridges ?

Then we have the talented shooters who rob us weekly of our hard earned cash by winning all the prize money to maintain their lavish lifestyles, who then do not wish to represent their country in International competitions?

I was shocked to hear only the other day that we (the sport) are paying referees £80 a day to referee at Nationals and Internationals .

Surely the referees should do it for nothing? After all they are having time off work and travelling sometimes hundreds of miles , having luxury overnight stays in Premier Inns and Travel Lodges at their own expense AND now wanting paying????

Surely it must be a privilege to sit on a chair for upto 12 hours a day surrounded by athletes including World Champions and having the honour of debating with competitors whether he hit a clay or not.

I think it is time that referees gave up receiving payment and donated their fees to the CPSA to enable them to have a banquet at the end of season to honour the Trade and Press for their contribution to our sport.

Our sport is in a very sorry state, made all the sorrier by people like me being allowed outdoors :lol: :lol: :lol:
Don't mince your words Peter, say what you think😊

Go the golf route.... reduce entry fees, get rid of prize money and get people to score themselves. Should reduce the cheating/abuse that seems to be going on. I'm guessing it might have to go that way if referees become harder to recruit..
Would also remove any need for CPSA (take out separate insurance) and registered shoots, reduce the level of competitive shooting, no need to enter Olympic shooting, reduce the argument for the need to have guns, increase the argument for guns, end up losing the sport, I think without competition we would end up losing the sport we love.

Latest posts

Back