Eley Hawk Titanium Strike & Titanium

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can imagine the product development meeting at Eley.

What have you got for us then Smithers?

Well sir, I’ve developed some new boxes with a completely irrelevant Titanium label.

Excellent. Why?

Well, you know the near crisis level of cost that cartridges have reached? I thought I would come up with a way of dramatically increasing it.

Will this work?

Yes I think so sir. There are still some shooters, usually the ones that haven’t been shooting long, who think that slinging a cloud of pellets at a fragile ashtray is a technical thing.

But the price Smithers, I mean surely.. These will only cost us another £10-15 per thousand to make, you’re not even putting them into an attractive shell case and yet you think we can charge another £60 over our already overpriced shells?

Yes Sir, with the Titanium name distraction and the addition of the word Strike, there will be enough people feeling they can make up for pointing the gun in the wrong place to cough up the money. 

But Smithers, if these pattern as well as you say, surely it might cause more missed clays, with a tighter pattern?

Careful sir, this room hasn’t been swept for bugs..
I'd be amazed if it costs that much (per thou) more to plate shot, besides, if the idea is to make harder shot why not just select higher antimony say from 4% to 7% ? At least that way you can still offer the actual shot sizes people want to use rather than go half a size up which increases the individual pellets kinetic energy whilst reducing coverage !? 

I'd be amazed if it costs that much (per thou) more to plate shot, besides, if the idea is to make harder shot why not just select higher antimony say from 4% to 7% ? At least that way you can still offer the actual shot sizes people want to use rather than go half a size up which increases the individual pellets kinetic energy whilst reducing coverage !? 
I think by putting forward this reasoned point, you are not following the spirit of this product. As my dad used to say, “don’t interject the facts when arguing with me”. 

Ok...............So if John Lee shot these at the World ESP next month and won, I wouldn't mind betting that one or two of you would be making a sneaky purchase! :D

Ok...............So if John Lee shot these at the World ESP next month and won, I wouldn't mind betting that one or two of you would be making a sneaky purchase! :D
I’m more likely to acknowledge that he was still beating me for the same reasons he is now.. 😆

I can imagine the product development meeting at Eley.

What have you got for us then Smithers?

Well sir, I’ve developed some new boxes with a completely irrelevant Titanium label.

Excellent. Why?

Well, you know the near crisis level of cost that cartridges have reached? I thought I would come up with a way of dramatically increasing it.

Will this work?

Yes I think so sir. There are still some shooters, usually the ones that haven’t been shooting long, who think that slinging a cloud of pellets at a fragile ashtray is a technical thing.

But the price Smithers, I mean surely.. These will only cost us another £10-15 per thousand to make, you’re not even putting them into an attractive shell case and yet you think we can charge another £60 over our already overpriced shells?

Yes Sir, with the Titanium name distraction and the addition of the word Strike, there will be enough people feeling they can make up for pointing the gun in the wrong place to cough up the money. 

But Smithers, if these pattern as well as you say, surely it might cause more missed clays, with a tighter pattern?

Careful sir, this room hasn’t been swept for bugs..
Smithers? More like Pedro...

I know it doesn't cost that much to plate shot example..F3 bior nickel plated shot 5% antimony same price as F3 and F3 piston.  :D

Not a chance of them going through my gun without a sponsorship deal so thats no chance.

Regardless of the marketing around them I couldn't justify paying that much for any clay cartridge. 

To the OP, er No,

Cannot imagine many of the “sponsored by Eley” shooters using these anytime soon either, too far too much £ for most of them, even after the “discount” they may well get its still a price point thats eye watering for clays

Clay shooters are in the main price driven cant see these flying off the shelves so to speak 

Yes the price is so daft a discount wouldn’t help. They are testing the Ferrari market here. 

I was offered £20 deal off a high end cartridge but it was still too much..

I find it curious that a respected cartridge maker could bring such a product to market at such an ambitious price point knowing full well that many clay shooters are cost-conscious of ammunition because of the quantities routinely used each week.

Maybe the markup from cost price is so high that even selling small quantities will be profitable at the risk of becoming the laughing stock of the trade.

Yes the price is so daft a discount wouldn’t help. They are testing the Ferrari market here. 

I was offered £20 deal off a high end cartridge but it was still too much..
Often thought the “sponsored by bloggs cartridges” type end up using bloggs high end cartridges which even after “discount” is more than they were paying using the cartridges that so say “caught they eye of bloggs cartridges”  

Nope! 

Tell you what if one of the cartridge manufacturers popped up with an average 26 ( or even 26 1/2 to 27g ) 7 1/2 cartridge at say £160 per thousand they would mop up 80% of the market overnight.

Strange that not one of the manufacturers has even tried to corner the market.

Last edited by a moderator:
Kelbrook Shooting School are currently taking orders at the prices listed below.

Titanium Strike 28gm plas £279

Titanium Strike 24gm plas £259

Titanium 28gm plas or fibre £269.

Not the £330+ that's been mentioned but still top end. Obviously aimed to compete with Dark Storms,Sovereigns,Star Teams etc and considering they contain nickel plated shot which the others don't you could say they're the better buy?!

The equivalent RC load is the Red Shot which retails at £297! Although RC are a far better made shell in my opinion.

I'll be sticking with el cheapo's for the time being.

PM.

Kelbrook Shooting School are currently taking orders at the prices listed below.

Titanium Strike 28gm plas £279

Titanium Strike 24gm plas £259

Titanium 28gm plas or fibre £269.

Not the £330+ that's been mentioned but still top end. Obviously aimed to compete with Dark Storms,Sovereigns,Star Teams etc and considering they contain nickel plated shot which the others don't you could say they're the better buy?!

The equivalent RC load is the Red Shot which retails at £297! Although RC are a far better made shell in my opinion.

I'll be sticking with el cheapo's for the time being.

PM.
To be honest I don't get why people buy White/Black Gold or Sov's for that matter, I mean sure they're all good shells but you only have to look at the scores of shooters up and down the classes to see they have nothing to do with what shells they use as every one has good and bad days.

Some pellets thrown at mostly 30 yard clays. Even the 60 yard ones tend to behave. Sanity check folks..

To be honest I don't get why people buy White/Black Gold or Sov's for that matter, I mean sure they're all good shells but you only have to look at the scores of shooters up and down the classes to see they have nothing to do with what shells they use as every one has good and bad days.
I guess it's a "buying into a brand" thing and a "lifestyle choice" as the marketing people would put it. Gamebore are masters at it. Why does anyone under A class use top end shells or choke? All they're doing is handicapping themselves further.

I shoot a lot of game days and atleast half the time the worst shot in the line will be using Black Gold. Its all just marketing. 

It clearly works as these cartridges still exist. Many a time I have missed a bird and thought if only I'd have had a cartridge with a high density case,nickel head to aid ejection,incorrectly sized shot for increased "lethality"?! and a fancy embossed box I might have hit that!

PM.

Latest posts

Back