Cheating in Sporting

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What an attitude that is !

It matters to me that people get injured etc, because they are selfish enough to ignore common sense and stuff up everyone elses day because of all the upset it causes ,at the least it will stop the shoot, or get it stopped, involving all sorts of inconvenience for others because YOU cant be bothered to wear glasses etc. i have seen several injuries over years that ended in tears and Ambulances,, 

sure , it`s your choice i suppose to lose your eyesight and sue the ground-owner,or ignore advice and rules which are for your own good,, but why piss off everyone else because your an idiot?
You're not wrong.

But you are making a right meal of it too. 

Look glasses didn't even exist 35 years ago, I'm not against them at all but I think you could take the safety argument to ridiculous extremes. Why not have a moan about people arriving in Defenders with no air bags, what if they have an accident and a side air bag would have saved them, why o why can't we all drive 5 star Euro NCAP rated cars, you do know that sleek 2 seater sports car would decapitate you if you hit a lorry up the back side ?! I know multiple champions who routinely didn't wear glasses for decades (or hearing protection) and sometimes don't now. 

It has nothing to do with anyone else what precautions you chose to take, glasses are a mandatory rule of registered clays, it is NOT mandatory to square up to those who decide not to adhere, there are systems in place to deal with that if you feel aggrieved. 

A few years ago I shot Southdown with Matt Rutherford and some other guys and for reasons I cannot recall did not wear specs, some chav who prolly felt sh*tty he'd shot less than me apparently moaned to Matt, was he concerned about my safety :rolleyes: ? Was he right ? Yes of course, but he was also being a masturbater. There's a fine line between adhering to rules and being a tosser. I choose not to get involved in others choices unless it crosses a line. 

Last edited by a moderator:
agree with hammy, I don't give a flying doo dah what other folk do or do not do. I never wore glasses before I had too and I certainly would not now given the choice.

I always wear my glasses - I have had a piece of clay hit me in the eyes but the glasses took it and are scratched.  Same happened to my daughter in a  grouse butt and I am forever getting hit with shot, I am like a magnet. 

I always wear my glasses - I have had a piece of clay hit me in the eyes but the glasses took it and are scratched.  Same happened to my daughter in a  grouse butt and I am forever getting hit with shot, I am like a magnet. 
Last week I got hit on the nose with a piece of clay which also left a mark on the bottom of the glasses I was wearing. Last year I got proper whacked with a large piece on the top of my head which despite the hat I was wearing hurt like mad for 2 minutes, I just don't have the money to buy an extra pair of Pilla's to put on my head like professional clay shooters do. 

People should wear glasses as they should seat belts, I'm just of the opinion that until we have solved bigger, real problems we shouldn't sweat too much about someone chirping you're a foot behind.  :lol:

Last week I got hit on the nose with a piece of clay which also left a mark on the bottom of the glasses I was wearing. Last year I got proper whacked with a large piece on the top of my head which despite the hat I was wearing hurt like mad for 2 minutes, I just don't have the money to buy an extra pair of Pilla's to put on my head like professional clay shooters do. 

People should wear glasses as they should seat belts, I'm just of the opinion that until we have solved bigger, real problems we shouldn't sweat too much about someone chirping you're a foot behind.  :lol:
Do you listen to them, I don't  :lol:   Luckily the scratch on my glasses is the left lens and as I shut my left eye to take the shot it doesn't matter.

4 hours ago, Sian said:

Thats the law of averages... the amount of time you spend out shooting, you are bound to get a bit of shot!!!! ;-)

So, what would your response be if the aforementioned offender had a child in tow,  who also was not wearing safety equipment    ?

A scenario that I see all too often !

So, what would your response be if the aforementioned offender had a child in tow,  who also was not wearing safety equipment    ?

Off on a different tanget isnt it...i thought this thread was about cheating in sporting registered competitions ?........Just saying !!!

Off on a different tanget isnt it...i thought this thread was about cheating in sporting registered competitions ?........Just saying !!!
Just continuing on,  regarding the wearing of safety equipment,  which had been raised due to Refs or should I say scorers,  not forcing the issue.  I wondered, if those who claim that it has " nothing to do with them ", would choose that lack of action in ALL cases.

Many many moons ago I was waiting for ages at a straw baler stand where some local likely lad had his 4-5 year old boy sat yards from the firing point where his hearing could clearly be damaged, nobody seemed to have noticed but I eventually went up and politely suggested he might be wise to get him some protection (I might have even offered it as an ice breaker) but he just chirped arrogantly, nah he's alwite. 

More recently I have advised new mums to keep newborns (in a pram ffs) away at a safe distance. All situations are different and must be judged accordingly but as a rule if it's not absolutely necessary then stay away.

Many many moons ago I was waiting for ages at a straw baler stand where some local likely lad had his 4-5 year old boy sat yards from the firing point where his hearing could clearly be damaged, nobody seemed to have noticed but I eventually went up and politely suggested he might be wise to get him some protection (I might have even offered it as an ice breaker) but he just chirped arrogantly, nah he's alwite. 

More recently I have advised new mums to keep newborns (in a pram ffs) away at a safe distance. All situations are different and must be judged accordingly but as a rule if it's not absolutely necessary then stay away.
Sorry, when I was involved with running a shooting ground, if you did not abide by the rules, you would be asked to leave.......................simple  !

it is unfortunate that there are many arse holes in the world and even shooting sports attracts a few but from my experience arse holes don't last long they soon go back to chav ball and darts or whatever. I am thankful of this as I o not care much for arse holes.

it is unfortunate that there are many arse holes in the world and even shooting sports attracts a few but from my experience arse holes don't last long they soon go back to chav ball and darts or whatever. I am thankful of this as I o not care much for arse holes.
So are you sayin "Go sharpen yer darts" then  ?    :yell:

I really am always interested to read about what you all endure with the meatheads.  I won't pretend that we are free of those here since I know that the malady is universal.  I guess my problem with them is that I've never really accepted that there are some who are innately privileged.  However, I've only experienced the problem a couple times and I and the other shooters felt no qualm about righting the wrong about intimidating the scorer.  One time I did have a goon offer to punch me and I reminded him that I had a gun.  An armed society is a polite society, innit?

And AFA things like glasses go, I need them to see but would not be without them even if I didn't.  And just for the record, I recall seeing adverts for Decot glasses in the sporting mags my Dad used to get WAY more than 50 yrs ago.  And the way cool part is that it was the same advert that they run today in their promo literature.  I mean, if you find something that works ................. hahahaha   And my hearing loss is nothing more than the manifestation of my stupid factor - which is generally fairly high.  Racing motors, music amplifiers, guns ..... took me a long time to figure that out.

take care - be safe - have fun    you can do all those things at the same time

wadjasay?

Having just got to the point of looking for a gun to get back into clay shooting after 25/30 years away I joined this site to get an insight into what was happening in the sport and I must say I find some of the things people write about on this site and some of the comments made very amusing and this thread is one in question, if a lot of these people put as much effort into focusing on their own shooting as they do worrying about what other guns are doing on the stand they wouldn't have to be concerned because their results would be the ones the cheats would be trying to beat, as in all sport the cream rises to the top and 99.9% of the time you will find the cream to be genuine and at the right time and in the right place will help anyone if they ask, cheats can't cheat all the time and therefore will never make the cream on top and if by chance they do make it up there invariably they will be the bit cream that goes sour because they will always go that step to far and get found out

al

I can say with certainty that this " cheating in sporting" malarky was going on in the late 60's when I started, at the local club shooting sporting. I would say it was probably the whining whinging hedge monkey that wanted to be "high gun" every week who did his best to accrue a winning score by fair method or foul that turned me into a trap shooter.

Here I am now 50 years later and the status quo remains to this very day. I will not be around in 50 years time, but I would bet some hedge monkeys will still be cheating.

For true cheating I fully agree there is no place for it in the sport.

On the coaching front, I would have to say it has to be in the context of the situation. I have committed the sin of saying 'get in front of it' or 'your over the top' whilst my friends have been in the cage. But to put it into context they were shooting b/o and were looking like they were going to duck the stand.

Ive had one friend who is a farmer and never competes come out of the cage and say 'why didn't you say that on the first birds so I could have hit a few' and you can see it ruins the day for him, he isn't here to compete just to have a good time shooting.

I know that a poor shoot puts him off coming, then I'd be forced to go to the events on my own which takes the fun out of it. At the end of the day the fun is the main reason to go clay shooting in the first place.

No one wants to duck a stand.. and if your in the position of ducking a stand is it doing any harm to give a few hints?

I also said to him at the same shoot I cant give him advice as there were other shooters around who were obviously competing.

Now this would be completely different if you have A+ shots coaching on every target.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can say with certainty that this " cheating in sporting" malarky was going on in the late 60's when I started, at the local club shooting sporting. I would say it was probably the whining whinging hedge monkey that wanted to be "high gun" every week who did his best to accrue a winning score by fair method or foul that turned me into a trap shooter.

Here I am now 50 years later and the status quo remains to this very day. I will not be around in 50 years time, but I would bet some hedge monkeys will still be cheating.

Queuing and cheating also made me shoot trap..................you can beat the clays but not the cheats !

Back