Gil and Vicki Ash Are Coming to The UK

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Asp....at the end of the day(yea just practicing my by lingual speak) quiet eye is about neural suppression...... which allows the brain to suppress any visual information that is confusing or non essential to the task at hand.....here  is the rub......trying to not see the gun keeps that from happening......you cant visualize not seeing the gun......the harder you try the more it gets in.....when you know where you eyes are supposed to be relative to the barrel.....you begin to accept the barrel as part of the picture and it no longer dominates.....then the neural suppression can begin and man what a big deal it becomes.....GA

The price is whatever the customer will pay and I dare say there will be enough people with enough money to make it work given that these are 2 good American coaches with good reputations.

Whether what they teach will suit the English game or will have some super tips and tricks will be for those that go.

I suspect that not only are they good coaches but also good business people and there is nothing wrong with that other than some can't afford the price which is like buying a gun - you buy what you can afford or want to spend.

Again it's not 3 days work it's at least 5 days plus preparation plus travel & hotel expenses and there is what is called "opportunity cost" which is what they could earn at home instead of coming over here. There are also all the years of learning, research, experimentation etc when they were not earning to recoup over time.

Good luck with the course and good luck to those who go on it but its probably too advanced for me anyway!

your potential is like your weight......you never really loose it you just push it in different directions based on your attitude.........

unless you try something beyond what you have already mastered.........you will never grow....GA

Asp....at the end of the day(yea just practicing my by lingual speak) quiet eye is about neural suppression...... which allows the brain to suppress any visual information that is confusing or non essential to the task at hand.....here is the rub......trying to not see the gun keeps that from happening......you cant visualize not seeing the gun......the harder you try the more it gets in.....when you know where you eyes are supposed to be relative to the barrel.....you begin to accept the barrel as part of the picture and it no longer dominates.....then the neural suppression can begin and man what a big deal it becomes.....GA
Thanks for the reply.But when focusing on the clay,you're not looking at the barrel anyway..... it's always in your peripheral vision though. 'Quiet Eye' was about sports people that held their gaze for a few ms longer than other athletes ,were more successful in the stroke/shot/putt and where they held that gaze. If I want to hold my gaze on a fleeting l/r close crosser longer than is necessary,I'm either gonna be making hard work for myself or having a 'lost' called. I agree some shots need to be sub conscious,but others need to be conscious.But I don't think neural suppression can be taught....probably a better explanation,is trust your instincts....which only comes with familiarity of success on the different presentations....so you could say,being taught the best method to hit the target will lead to neural suppression,rather than vice versa.

I just don't see that 'Quiet Eye' has any reference to clay shooting. It's just a big book with lots of studies that prove,to be more successful you need to focus on the target object. Which we know. It doesn't actually teach you anything.

The price is whatever the customer will pay and I dare say there will be enough people with enough money to make it work given that these are 2 good American coaches with good reputations.

Whether what they teach will suit the English game or will have some super tips and tricks will be for those that go.

I suspect that not only are they good coaches but also good business people and there is nothing wrong with that other than some can't afford the price which is like buying a gun - you buy what you can afford or want to spend.

Again it's not 3 days work it's at least 5 days plus preparation plus travel & hotel expenses and there is what is called "opportunity cost" which is what they could earn at home instead of coming over here. There are also all the years of learning, research, experimentation etc when they were not earning to recoup over time.

Good luck with the course and good luck to those who go on it but its probably too advanced for me anyway!
Well said Robert.
Without even having met Gil.....I can assure you that you would learn loads on this course even if it is only one day. I am trying to re organise things to be able to make the seminar day. I think, from everything I have read from Gil on here, that he can easily reach ALL levels of shooters, and has no fear of explaining any techniques on here for those who ask. This is the sign of a confident coach with something worth listening to. I liken it to my discussions on OT with my very dear friend Claudio Capaldo .....who has more OT knowledge under his little fingernail than most OT coaches in the UK have in total. He has a passion for explaining the technical aspects of the sport to those who have open minds......without a penny exchanging hands.........just like Gil has done here. Yet both are recognised top coaches.....so why would they spend time to talk to people (when they are both busy coaches)......because they are passionate about the sport.

As for money ......someone added up 'a cost'......well lets see..... I charge £70 per hour plus carts and clays. 8 hours = £560 plus cart /clays.

I would take a ranging wild guess but would expect that Ed S and Ben H and Phil and Salop would be between £50 and £120 per hour....so that is between £400 and £960 plus carts and clays for 8 hours.....

The Ash's are offering their EIGHT HOURS for £445 including clays ....food....chance to win some thing.....high value loyalty type gift for booking 2 days.......entry for a year into the knowledge vault......

Not to forget a donation to charity as well.

You do the maths.

I can understand that some on here are not used to employing coaches or taking a 'course type' set of lessons......but believe me.....these are not high prices. Factor in the fact that they are coming from the States, and the hotel costs........and some on here will be a little red faced for their comments.

But hey......no worries......not everyone is au fait with coaching or course costs......... :smile:

Hell......some on here would never take a lesson because they are happy with the way they shoot.

Last edited:
Having experienced the OSP system in their home environment and on a massive variety of targets I can honestly say in simple terms. It works, I have added it to my sporting repertoire and it comes out more often now as time goes on.

Addressing some of the other points raised here its a free market, but a very high level of service is being offered by the Ash's (in my humble opinion). But as part of a free market you all have a choice to either take part or not.

I think there is a massive application across disciplines that is available here too. (And can be overlooked from the outset) As a trap shooter mostly some of the subtleties of the "system" I have dissected and taken into my own game to my benefit!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

As for money ......someone added up 'a cost'......well lets see..... I charge £70 per hour plus carts and clays. 8 hours = £560 plus cart /clays.

I would take a ranging wild guess but would expect that Ed S and Ben H and Phil and Salop would be between £50 and £120 per hour....so that is between £400 and £960 plus carts and clays for 8 hours.....

The Ash's are offering their EIGHT HOURS for £445 including clays ....food....chance to win some thing.....high value loyalty type gift for booking 2 days.......entry for a year into the knowledge vault......

Not to forget a donation to charity as well.

You do the maths.
I have done the math Nicola!!! Don't be so condescending, the last Masterclass I had with Ben and Phil cost £200 including clays...food...6+ hours coaching...group of 5...technical and mental coach working as a team...not just a one off, this was a follow up and advancement form previous coaching with two coaches who know my faults and work together to correct them...building on previous breakthrough's...fine tuning and tweaking pre/post shot routine...and much more that will stay between me and 'my coaching team' that p.s. I keep in touch with and can contact for advice if required...

In my expreiance Ben and Phil are not the most expencive, I have always came away feeling I recived value for my money (I.M.O.) so far after 1 half day 1-1 with Ben, 1 full days shared with a friend 2-1 with Ben and 2 full day 'masterclasses' (clays and food included) as group with Phil and Ben I am still under £1000 including clays+food...I'd have spent many more than that on clays and cartridges working out for myself what Ben and Phil have taught me so far, never mind time and frustration!!!

I can't comment on Salop and Ed's prices or coaching abillity, but I'd be more inclined to seek out their help if I was searching for a coach here in the UK that I would be to take a one day lesson and/or seminar form a couple of coaches from another continent, who I'd likely never see again,  no matter how good there reputation may or may not be or how good/extencive their video libery may or may not be...

I've watched some of Gil's youtube clips, not for me.

It seems that I cannot comment or give my opinion on here at all these days. I gave a range of the prices charged in the UK without linking a specific price to anyone.

So there is no need to call me names.

I cannot think of another way of writing the info.

Glad you are satisfied with your coaching plan, I hope it works well for you.

I hope that you can equally respect other people's choices.

End of the day its 2 thousand shells, would I learn more just blasting away with the aforementioned shells? Probably not. Take it or leave it, its all personal choice and has been noted on here before, value means different things to different people. If someone thinks its gonna help them, go for it, its your cash. Just let us know afterwards if it works for you.

It seems that I cannot comment or give my opinion on here at all these days. I gave a range of the prices charged in the UK without linking a specific price to anyone.

So there is no need to call me names.

I cannot think of another way of writing the info.

Glad you are satisfied with your coaching plan, I hope it works well for you.

I hope that you can equally respect other people's choices.

Who has called you names?

Nicola, now...play fair, you know I didn't call you names, read my post again, I described your reply as condescending...huge difference!!! Maybe it wasn't meant to be condescending, so my apologises, I will give you the benefit of doubt in future :D

To anyone who is going, I hope you enjoy your time with Gil and I hope his methods work well for you!!! ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Is there any scientific basis for "neural suppression" or would I be as well just putting some crystals in my shooting bag overnight instead? Maybe light a candle to the god of shooting or go outside and howl at the moon.

Is there any scientific basis for "neural suppression" or would I be as well just putting some crystals in my shooting bag overnight instead? Maybe light a candle to the god of shooting or go outside and howl at the moon.
Hard focus on the clay and ignore everything else. £450 please, my invoice is in the post...

So I should try not to look at other things when I'm trying to hit something? Seems legit. Cheque is in the post.

Ermmm? Yes...

In an attempt to demonstrate a physiological basis for the alternating suppression of perception when the two eyes view very different contours (binocular rivalry), we studied the responses of neurons in the lateral geniculate nucleus (LGN) and area 17...this interocular suppression exhibits a remarkable non-linearity: a grating of non-preferred orientation in one eye causes significant interocular suppression only if the neuron is already responding to an appropriate stimulus in the other eye [sengpiel and Blakemore (1994) Nature, 368, 847-850]. We propose that the switches in perceptual dominance during binocular rivalry depend on interocular interactions at the level of binocular neurons of the primary visual cortex, which might involve intracortical inhibition between adjacent ocular dominance columns. The spontaneous alternations in perceptual suppression that occur during prolonged viewing of rivalrous patterns remain to be explained, although significant variation in the strength of neuronal suppression in such conditions was occasionally seen. Interocular suppression in the primary visual cortex:a possible neural basis of ocular rivalry. Sengepial et al 1995.

Although crystals, candles and howling sounds like an interesting night out!

Back