Fiocchi F3

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Managed to get 1000 F3 piston's today from TR Whites at Oakedge.  Lovely little shop with a good range of country clothing (wife bought me a new tweed coat as well).  Great friendly service (made the wife a tea and me a coffee) and had a chat with Tony who's the owner and gun maker.

So then. My friend was out if shells and I gave him a slab of F3's. He returned the favour recently with a slab of 4HV's 8.5s. I shot that slab off over the last 2 days and was less than impressed. I feel they pattern really tight. My breaks were chippy over the 2 days to say the least even dropping choke sizes. They were fast and a bit too punchy. I just didn't get the confidence from the breaks I was getting.  Throwing in some Top Ones and F3's my breaks went back to crunching and dusting. I've shot them off now and won't use them again. 

Whilst sorting through some shells I noticed that my last full box of F3's had a lot of powder stuck between the wad and the case. The red is not as see through as my preferred blue Piston case and maybe the two slabs that I had originally purchased were all the same but I just hadn't noticed.

Faulty.........common..........nothing to worry about?

P1050527.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Nothing to worry about, in powder terms minuscule and probably will be burnt up on powder combustion. Can be down to static when powder being dropped into the case or wad being inserted.

But static in an explosives plant can be a really really bad thing?

Can also be caused by slightly loose wad in case, as it's being pushed down, powder gets pushed up by air pressure above the skirt.

Ive shot the pistons the over the last 2 wends at the southeast intercounties abt and yesterday the southeast intercounties ut at nutty, kills were spot on even in the second barrel,8.5s all the way!

Shot FITASC  at the weekend with my supplier of FIOCCHI's and he's now changed over to the F3's, as they are 'Forgiving' in his words.  I'm inclined to agree with him.  A memorable shot was with him snotting a fast edgy quartering crosser out to 40yds with a hammer gun, fixed half/half.  The breaks were impressive and more so with a hammer gun!

I am also shooting a lot more of the green F3's 9's (uk8.5's) .  They break things out to normal sporting distances but I use them for the irritating stuff within 10-15yds, where normal patterns are just developing.  

Back