Clay shooting - The future

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Makes sense to me, if you concentrate all effort on seeing the target properly then it makes sense that it will take longer to do so than merely moving after a blurr of orange.

40Up, do the best shots take the same time to acquire a target visually move and fire whether its a straight bird or a fast 45 degree bird ? I was wondering as I find myself trying to move very slowly to a straight bird otherwise I feel as though I'm over shooting it ?

Malcolm Jenkins said to me that the timing should be constant not the speed of the swing. Whereas you would expect the shooter to chase the target until it looked right and then pull the trigger. I notice a comment by kostalecky that his concern in the Olympic final was to keep his timing.

The club I shoot OT at has on occasion had a what seems to be slow straight low target. I find that I have to shoot this target very quickly otherwise I am shooting down hill. I don't think it is an optical illusion, you see the shooting ground falls away down hill, but if you don't shoot it quick or miss on the first then the thing seems to fall and you have to shoot under it to hit it

Im sure your right, i think when my performance suffers in the middle of a round it alwasy feels like the timing of the shot has changed from the previous ones. Perhaps it just feels slower on striaght birds because you life the barrel slowly to the bird rather than the more rapid swing through a 45 degree or steep angled bird ? 

Trying to move slowly on a straight target is like doing an overhead smash at tennis in slow motion - you wait and wait then hit it at normal speed. At the home international I saw Philip Murphy's son shooting for the first time. He could spot shoot the straight target on a normal gun hold without moving the gun. Impressive.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dt easy for a good sporting shooter , it's just a simo pair of teal !!! Simples
Oh really!
Have a look at these scores from Nuthamstead, where we just shot the British Grand Prix. Also look how many entries we got!
u6e6esyz.jpg
http://www.tirovesti.co.uk/

Don't you think the above would be different if the other disciplines than OT were allowed two shots per target? [don't split hairs on fitasc] The reason that OT is the hardest is that it has 15 different speeds where ABT has one and OT has 20% central targets where ABT has 33%
Thank you Fred!!!!! ( I was wondering when you were going to show up and throw some proper light onto the subject mate!) :biggrin:

Don't you think the above would be different if the other disciplines than OT were allowed two shots per target? [don't split hairs on fitasc] The reason that OT is the hardest is that it has 15 different speeds where ABT has one and OT has 20% central targets where ABT has 33%
Actually Fred.......I was talking to a fairly "senior" shooter yesterday regarding DTL, OT, ABT, UT. He has been shooting fast trap since the 1970's and is convinced that new blood is being put off of fast trap because there is no longer a "stepping stone" between DTL and UT/OT. In other words ABT has now become so fast that it is too hard for guys to progress to UT/OT via ABT, as was the case previously. Why on earth didn't they just leave ABT as it was? If we are not careful there will be fewer and fewer guys shooting OT and then even fewer grounds will offer it.......or even ABT if we are not very careful!!!!!

Actually Fred.......I was talking to a fairly "senior" shooter yesterday regarding DTL, OT, ABT, UT. He has been shooting fast trap since the 1970's and is convinced that new blood is being put off of fast trap because there is no longer a "stepping stone" between DTL and UT/OT. In other words ABT has now become so fast that it is too hard for guys to progress to UT/OT via ABT, as was the case previously. Why on earth didn't they just leave ABT as it was? If we are not careful there will be fewer and fewer guys shooting OT and then even fewer grounds will offer it.......or even ABT if we are not very careful!!!!!
Errrrrm.......and this is only a guess.......and probably quite wrong :wink:

But could it be anything to do with our governing body and no one left high up where the decisions are made.....being shooters....or know anything about trap????

God....I bet the staff roar with laughter at some of the things they see going on....but they have to keep their heads down and impliment what they are told to.

.......just wondering :wink:

Errrrrm.......and this is only a guess.......and probably quite wrong :wink:

But could it be anything to do with our governing body and no one left high up where the decisions are made.....being shooters....or know anything about trap????

God....I bet the staff roar with laughter at some of the things they see going on....but they have to keep their heads down and impliment what they are told to.

.......just wondering :wink:
Well Nic, I cannot believe that any trap shooter worth his salt would have authorised the butchery of ABT as we knew it! There is a rumour going around down here that ABT was altered so as to make it easier for people to shoot OT type targets at grounds without OT. In other words so that people with no OT ground in their area can get to practice regularly on something at a bit like OT without having to travel too far, as there are more ABT layouts than OT layouts. So is this for would be GB OT shooters who live in an area without an OT layout or what? Your guess is as good as mine, but if it's true it could kill fast trap in the UK eventually, let's face it we are heading that way already! This is NOT a way to encourage new blood into fast trap!!!!! 

Well Nic, I cannot believe that any trap shooter worth his salt would have authorised the butchery of ABT as we knew it! There is a rumour going around down here that ABT was altered so as to make it easier for people to shoot OT type targets at grounds without OT. In other words so that people with no OT ground in their area can get to practice regularly on something at a bit like OT without having to travel too far, as there are more ABT layouts than OT layouts. So is this for would be GB OT shooters who live in an area without an OT layout or what? Your guess is as good as mine, but if it's true it could kill fast trap in the UK eventually, let's face it we are heading that way already! This is NOT a way to encourage new blood into fast trap!!!!! 
I have no idea.

It seems all shooting is in crisis at the minute...especially UT on the international circuit with the proposed changes and the acceptance of the UT Commissions resignations :sad:

I have no idea.

It seems all shooting is in crisis at the minute...especially UT on the international circuit with the proposed changes and the acceptance of the UT Commissions resignations :sad:
As far as I'm concerned,shooting has been in some sort of crisis for over 25 years in one way or another Nic! If it's not the anti's or the government it's our own governing bodies giving us trouble in one way or another! It seems however that English Sporting and DTL are flourishing somewhat from what I can see of things. We will never get the international disciplines to be popular if the powers that be insist on keep making them more difficult!  Yes it's OK for the top/gifted boys, but most of us grass roots shooters and those coming into shooting are not at such a level and may never even attempt those disciplines at all if things carry on as they are!

I am currently sycing myself up for the GP at Beverly at the weekend. I do hope we are given a fighting chance this time. Gulp

I am currently sycing myself up for the GP at Beverly at the weekend. I do hope we are given a fighting chance this time. Gulp
GP at Beverly Ian???? Can't you find a doctor a bit closer to home mate? :biggrin:

Very funny pal :)

Might need a shrink Sunday night if target are anything like ot targets that have been on offer thus far this year.

Might need a shrink Sunday night if target are anything like ot targets that have been on offer thus far this year.
I am starting to think that we mere mortals that shoot OT must all be in need of a shrink!!!! Why on earth do we bother? Went to SC earlier this week......layout 6....right handers going right to the top of the bank......if the bank was not there they would have carried on flying!!!!!!!!!  We must be mad Ian!!!!

I am starting to think that we mere mortals that shoot OT must all be in need of a shrink!!!! Why on earth do we bother? Went to SC earlier this week......layout 6....right handers going right to the top of the bank......if the bank was not there they would have carried on flying!!!!!!!!! We must be mad Ian!!!!
No one has yet convinced me that shooting these stupid fast sole destroying targets in dull old Blighty does anybody any good, even the Elite Internationals. It should be about confidence and keeping your head right, on regulation targets.

http://www.tirovesti.co.uk/

One of the clubs I shoot at has both UT and OT. I could be wrong but I think I could see them starting to shoot a lot more OT even though the set up time is longer, should these proposed changes to UT go ahead! I am new to the game but I don't fancy queuing up to shoot targets to be honest. It would appear to me at least that the powers that be don't want UT to be any sort of stepping stone to OT and are changing the discipline to suit this end. I will be asking what the shooters think about the new proposed routine for UT to see what the opinion is.

Back