Clay shooting - The future

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The probability mentioned above is the fallacy of maturing odds.  The odds of getting a particular target are the same no matter how may targets you shoot.  However since those are odds if you have a large enough sample then the results will likely reflect a fairly even distribution of the generally identifiable target types.  So first you have to identify the distinct target types, then you can calculate the odds of any particular one.  Looking for "easy" types would identify a set of targets and the odds of that sequence happening is getting larger faster than would be of interest.

Worrying about a competitor getting a set of easy targets is not even up to worthless expenditure of energy.

Really too bad that there is no interest or motivation to set up an SBT w/ switches to generate 15 distinct targets and then a program to drive that for 5-6 shooters.....no schemes either.  Just have the program random select a "scheme", distribute that scheme randomized to the number of shooters and presto, everybody gets the same targets in varying order over the course of 25 targets.  And of course the "scheme" could be locked in for however many rounds as desired.  Maximized fun from a single machine in one house. REALLLLLL  21st Century ABT!

Ah, well.  too good for the likes of me I'm sure.

The probability mentioned above is the fallacy of maturing odds.  The odds of getting a particular target are the same no matter how may targets you shoot.  However since those are odds if you have a large enough sample then the results will likely reflect a fairly even distribution of the generally identifiable target types.  So first you have to identify the distinct target types, then you can calculate the odds of any particular one.  Looking for "easy" types would identify a set of targets and the odds of that sequence happening is getting larger faster than would be of interest.

Worrying about a competitor getting a set of easy targets is not even up to worthless expenditure of energy.

Really too bad that there is no interest or motivation to set up an SBT w/ switches to generate 15 distinct targets and then a program to drive that for 5-6 shooters.....no schemes either.  Just have the program random select a "scheme", distribute that scheme randomized to the number of shooters and presto, everybody gets the same targets in varying order over the course of 25 targets.  And of course the "scheme" could be locked in for however many rounds as desired.  Maximized fun from a single machine in one house. REALLLLLL  21st Century ABT!

Ah, well.  too good for the likes of me I'm sure.

So are you saying that ABT throws fair targets for all competitors? or are you saying if a set of competitors stand and shoot ball trap for long enough they will eventually all shoot a fair set of targets?

ABT does not throw fair targets for all over one round some will get what is a more favourable target than others due to position in the line and orientation of gun mount that is a fact not a fallacy. Whether the shooter has the ability to capitalise on that easier target  well that's another thing. In a competition the idea is to compete on level terms and let the skill of the competitor decide the out come ie. all get the same task. ABT does not give that out come. On the other hand OT most definitely does.

Last edited by a moderator:
So are you saying that ABT throws fair targets for all competitors? or are you saying if a set of competitors stand and shoot ball trap for long enough they will eventually all shoot a fair set of targets?

ABT does not throw fair targets for all over one round some will get what is a more favourable target than others due to position in the line and orientation of gun mount that is a fact not a fallacy. Whether the shooter has the ability to capitalise on that easier target  well that's another thing. In a competition the idea is to compete on level terms and let the skill of the competitor decide the out come ie. all get the same task. ABT does not give that out come. On the other hand OT most definitely does.
Yes John, quite correct mate! There is no easy ride with OT......EVER!!!!  AND it is the same for everyone on the squad!!! :eek:k:

or are you saying if a set of competitors stand and shoot ball trap for long enough they will eventually all shoot a fair set of targets?
This I believe to be correct on the basis of probability

This I believe to be correct on the basis of probability
OK Ian, now we need a boffin to work out how many targets would need to be shot for it to even itself out! I wonder if our trap guru (Fred) has any idea?  :biggrin:

This is pretty much the point of my original statement. I am no mathematical genius but to me the laws of probability would suggest that the random nature of ABT would even out over a 100 comp. In all the years of shooting ABT I have never come off a line thinking I had all hard ones or all soft ones compared to another shooter. I am still interested in the answer to my question regarding the percentage cut off compared to OT in relation to the amount of shooters participating. But I guess we will never get the answer.

Reading this thread I have deducted that.... Trap shooters talk more " Jibba Jabba " than all other disciplines put together!! Only my opinion of course.

Cheeky beggars

this is all highly technical and scientific stuff i will have you know. It can't be compared to this game shooting practice mallarky :)

OK Ian, now we need a boffin to work out how many targets would need to be shot for it to even itself out! I wonder if our trap guru (Fred) has any idea?  :biggrin:

First you need to decide how many distinct targets there are.

I would suspect that the odds being what they are, and multiplied by five since the targets are different from each station, the game planners decided that no one had an advantage over the course of a multi-round competition.  It would be very difficult to argue with that contention.  Presuming of course that an "easy" target can be identified and a competitor's skill set quotient factored into that hahaha

As I mentioned before, if you're worry about your competition getting "easy" targets you're wasting a lot of energy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Were not worried too late for that been shooting abt for 28yrs were just analysing it for something to do :)

Reading this thread I have deducted that.... Trap shooters talk more " Jibba Jabba " than all other disciplines put together!! Only my opinion of course.
Its all written in secret code if you didn't already know :blind:   forget world trade secrets this is way above that very dangerous people :triniti:   have you ever tried to understand all of Nicolas post? I rest my case :roulette:

Its all written in secret code if you didn't already know :blind:   forget world trade secrets this is way above that very dangerous people :triniti:   have you ever tried to understand all of Nicolas post? I rest my case :roulette:
Shaun I think this thread ( the trap bit of it anyway ) is reason enough to tighten the law on the use of recreational drugs and daytime drinking.... I can only imagine they are partaking of both before posting..!

Well thank you boys.

I will not trouble you further with any more information.

If it helps....I will start deleting all my posts one by one..when I get the time.

It matters not to me.....just saying.

I know the info....if you do not want to...that is your choice....true story.

Shaun I think this thread ( the trap bit of it anyway ) is reason enough to tighten the law on the use of recreational drugs and daytime drinking.... I can only imagine they are partaking of both before posting..!
Now look what you have gone and done Alan :resent:  For what its worth Nicola he made me do it :whistle:

I'm not sure about statistics but as somebody who has shot a bit of OT DT and OSK I would agree with Jake that the new DT is the hardest to build a gold score at. Not statistically significant but all shot with consistently mediocre performance level to balance the final result.

Nic it is a joke right ?  We all may have crossed swords etc but were are all having a laugh you are not the only nutter on the thread :)

Back