Bead or no Bead?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This if the gun fits thing is a little overplayed in my view. If for instance they invented a gun with an invisible rib/bead/barrel etc do you reckon you'll just hit as many as before just by whipping the thing up into your shoulder and firing on instinct?
An interesting point Hamster,there is a lot to said for shooting on instinct,I was shooting Standard pistol cards today,5 shots in 10 seconds,it has to be instinctive because you have no option but to shoot before the target turns,so you have to totally commit to the shot,we shoot in strings of 150,20 then 10 seconds for 5 shots,and I've tracked my scores over 3 years,and every year my 20 second scores have been better than my 150 second scores

Neale

This if the gun fits thing is a little overplayed in my view. If for instance they invented a gun with an invisible rib/bead/barrel etc do you reckon you'll just hit as many as before just by whipping the thing up into your shoulder and firing on instinct?
IMO it would always depend on whether the gun shoots where your looking, regardless of mount or instinct.. If it fits, there is more chance of it shooting where you look and therefore takes away another variable.
In my opinion you have to have a reference, an invisible gun would be useless on anything that needed lead, how would you know where it was pointed? which brings me to this Gun shoots where you look thing. mine doesn't! it shoots where I point it as I'm looking at the clay or the gap. we had a big discussion about this on maintained lead and it seams some shooters do look where they want the shot to go, but most don't.

The bead is nothing to do with gun fit, its about removing a distraction, as its already been said, if it works we'll leave it off, if not, we'll try a smaller less obtrusive one.
I dunno, bead has something to do with gunfit I reckon, think of it as an aid not a distraction. If you are drawing your gaze back onto the bead at some stage, that's not nekkekkarily the bead's fault. I agree silly fishing float size ones are more of a gimmick but a sensible one that tells your subconscious where the end of the barrels are isn't going to hurt. 

Hamster i sort of agree with what your saying about it being an aid, however, if it appears too big, then its a distraction and something needs to be done, so you either remove it or replace it, we have simply removed it as a starting point.

Hamster i sort of agree with what your saying about it being an aid, however, if it appears too big, then its a distraction and something needs to be done, so you either remove it or replace it, we have simply removed it as a starting point.
I accept (cos I've been there) that big ones can be unhelpful, it's just that I keep reading near orgasmic references being made about their removal :mellow:  so just trying to pin down what benefit that in itself conveys.

I accept (cos I've been there) that big ones can be unhelpful, it's just that I keep reading near orgasmic references being made about their removal :mellow: so just trying to pin down what benefit that in itself conveys.
We'll let you know after we shoot again :)

I had some smart idea a few years ago to take the bead off (shouldn't be looking at it, don't need it blah-blah) Taking it off didn't improve my shooting.

Brian Clegg asked me why I'd taken it off, He asked if it had been distracting me. I told him it hadn't. He told me to put the effing thing back on :p

He explained (correctly) that very occasionally, I might need a reference point, hard to come up with an example, but I do use it occasionally.

Unless it is distracting you, then it's not doing any harm.

I would sack off a centre bead, they're for rifles and proper shotguns don't have them :spiteful:

I know exactly what you mean i too am distracted by obvious front bead i find the small brass ones ideal as you are aware of it as a reference but not drawn to it. I have tried all sizes all colours and tried none at all but allways end up back with me little brass one. Try it.

I find that if I think about what I have to do I more than often miss!

Take yesterday I knew where the clays would come from so got ready, traps whirs and clunks, oh hell where's the clay, look left where its not supposed to be and bang cloud of dust and likewise with the pair. Next pair when I now know where they are coming from, I miss both!

Daughter said don't show me the birds as you'll stand a better chance of hitting them if you don't know where they are coming from Dad!

Bit of instinct and thinking not getting in the way of the brain me thinks!

Just a suggestion if the white bead is distracting have you considered collaring it in with a black felt tip . 

If the bead is in the way then your doing something wrong. Identify what it is and you might get somewhere. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I like mine to look like a figure of 8...

What's yours set up to look like peeps with pips???

My problem is staring at the clay waiting for it to break, instead of staring into the space where I want the shot to go in front if the clay and seeing the clay break in my periferal vision, never see my bead at all when shooting, but like my two beads for when dry mounting to form the miroku/ browning figure of 8, but thats the only time I see them.

Since I bought my Evo-comp stock, I have removed both beads ( always remove the center one anyway ) as the the gun now fits me perfectly I dont have to line anything up , I just know its right there when the gun hits my cheek, its done me the world of good

When I was learning to shoot I was taught that the holy grail of shotgun shooting was to be able to focus fully on the target while taking the shot. The gun should be in your peripheral vision so that you are aware of the barrel position but not focused on it . Those who look at the barrel during a shot have a reduced chance of a successful hit.Unfortunately it takes a lot of practice to focus fully on the target all through the shot.In my opinion looking at the gun during the shot ie. rifling the target or consciously measuring lead is likely to hold you back as you try to progress through the ranks. An ability to hold focus on the target all through the shot process will make you quicker and smoother as far as I am concerned.

When I was learning to shoot I was taught that the holy grail of shotgun shooting was to be able to focus fully on the target while taking the shot. The gun should be in your peripheral vision so that you are aware of the barrel position but not focused on it . Those who look at the barrel during a shot have a reduced chance of a successful hit.Unfortunately it takes a lot of practice to focus fully on the target all through the shot.In my opinion looking at the gun during the shot ie. rifling the target or consciously measuring lead is likely to hold you back as you try to progress through the ranks. An ability to hold focus on the target all through the shot process will make you quicker and smoother as far as I am concerned.
Quite right.

Leave your beads alone peeps....learn to shoot properly by not starring at them. Learn to use your peripheral vision properly...!

Simples :smile:

Back