Any personal goals for the 2017 season?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not one for blowing my own trumpet but for a while I've wanted to post a maximum score in the disciplines I shoot, Skeet, DTL and Single Barrel. I finally achieved the full house in March. I'm back to AA class in everything too.

Without a doubt my greatest achievement has been getting the better of the trigger freeze that has blighted my shooting for the past 3 years, often to the point that I couldn't pull the trigger at all. It's been a long road and I still get the odd flinch but I can at least hold my own now. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not one for blowing my own trumpet but for a while I've wanted to achieve a maximum score in the disciplines I shoot, Skeet, DTL and Single Barrel. I finally achieved the full house in March. I'm back to AA class in everything too.

Without a doubt my greatest achievement has been getting the better of the trigger freeze that has blighted my shooting for the past 3 years, often to the point that I couldn't pull the trigger at all. It's been a long road and I still get the odd flinch but I can at least hold my own now. 
Please tell me how you have overcome trigger freeze as it has been causing me big problems lately.

Managed to go from 76% to 78% over the last 6 months, so the aim is to get to 80% this next year. Also going to try fitasc as well for a challenge.
Also got my Lincolnshire skeet vest this year for my first ever selection to shoot for county at ESP, so another main aim is to get re-selected again next year. This was a major achievement for me, would also like to climb the rankings a bit if possible.

Also got my Lincolnshire skeet vest this year for my first ever selection to shoot for county at ESP, so another main aim is to get re-selected again next year. This was a major achievement for me, would also like to climb the rankings a bit if possible.
Well done  ;)

Please tell me how you have overcome trigger freeze as it has been causing me big problems lately.
With hypnosis. I’d balked at the idea for a long time but turned to it once everything else i’d tried had failed.

With hypnosis. I’d balked at the idea for a long time but turned to it once everything else i’d tried had failed.
Thanks for the reply. I will give anything a try. It is funny, but it usually happens on the easy targets, which leads me to believe the problem is more to do with the fear of missing rather than recoil issues that seems to be the more popular explanation for this terrible affliction.

Thanks for the reply. I will give anything a try. It is funny, but it usually happens on the easy targets, which leads me to believe the problem is more to do with the fear of missing rather than recoil issues that seems to be the more popular explanation for this terrible affliction.
Possibly. After 3 years of it I'm something of a reluctant expert. There's many factors that could be causing the problem, a fear of failure is just one of them. It's important to differentiate between a freeze and a flinch as they're quite different with different causes. After trying many other solutions, I found hypnosis untied the knot in my brain quite quickly. For others it may take longer.

Unfortunately, and with the greatest respect to those that 'advised' me, many people have an idea what the problem is and their own opinions as to how to correct it. The unfortunate truth is it's not that easy. What works for one may not for another.

For a start, take a look at Alan Rhone's article on the Gunlore webpage. It's gives some useful explanations.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not so much a goal more a reflection of 2017, shooting wise, in my own small world yes I have had a few bumps and a few triumphs, the latter heightend by experiencing the former, Ive cemented many friendships, cannot think of anyone that Ive fallen out with ( in 2017 that is) am lucky enough to be able to shoot at well managed grounds, daft enough that after coverting a brand for many a year which been and bought into, loving the gun and still grinning like a dog with two lamposts ?, oh and yes one is still making small steps forward skills wise, and in bean counters terms my bottom line is still moving forward, if my 2018 shooting skills improve at the same curve that 2017 saw over a torrid 2016 that will do. ( line as pinched from film ) 

After a few years charging around doing as much competition skeet as possible, being involved in BSSA and helping run NSSA skeet at a local club. I have a few more simple goals for 2017.

1). Have fun.

2). Spend time shooting with wife lady rather than both shooting differing disciplines at opposite ends of the country all the time.

3). Avoid getting wet shooting - it's just not fun!

4). Shoot what i like, when i like, where i like.

5). Remove myself from any form of responsibility for running / admin shoots or associations.
Numbers 1 and 4 - still very much on target.

Number 5 - Objective achieved.

Number 3 - Well i did get wet - once!

Number 2 - Still a work in progress although she has taken a horse on loan so her shooting in any kind of large numbers is well and truly gone out the window.

Been a good year TBH - shot much less but enjoyed it much more. Nearly time to hang the gun up for winter unless it's a social shoot with friends on a nice day.

Possibly. After 3 years of it I'm something of a reluctant expert. There's many factors that could be causing the problem, a fear of failure is just one of them. It's important to differentiate between a freeze and a flinch as they're quite different with different causes. After trying many other solutions, I found hypnosis untied the knot in my brain quite quickly. For others it may take longer.

Unfortunately, and with the greatest respect to those that 'advised' me, many people have an idea what the problem is and their own opinions as to how to correct it. The unfortunate truth is it's not that easy. What works for one may not for another.

For a start, take a look at Alan Rhone's article on the Gunlore webpage. It's gives some useful explanations.
Interesting. I agree on many parts of that. I've cured trigger freeze using Traumatic Incident Reduction. What makes you say flinch is different? My theory, which I have expounded here before so I won't go on too long, is that certain unprocessed memories are reactivated and run causing flinch or freeze. It's personal to everyone. It might be a fear of punch to one and a fear of missing to another. 

Great shooting achievements btw. 

I totally agree that the answer isn’t  simple and is personal. However, I have helped a few people by getting them to shoot with no cartridge in the gun and say “bang”.  This also works with certain targets that folk can’t change their lead on.. it’s all abou5 getting the “clay breaking” out of the head..

Back