Any personal goals for the 2017 season?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would like to actually hit something by the end of the year. 
I know where there is a cow's bum,...................................now, if we can just borrow a banjo         !      :wacko:

Yes Westley, Tony has and has been waiting for me to finally accept help to change my approach without question or argument ??.  Lots of good shots including some revered coaches have seen my struggles on lots of shoots.  I shoot with one eye although pick up my targets with two but I also struggle with looking into sky above me - I become dizzy, shake and have been known to vomit.  Saw Ed Solomons just chatting at a shoot one day and he says one eye I will struggle on driven.  I can get the odd ones both on driven and teals but it really depends what type.  I'm sure half the battle is my negativity on entering a stand faced with either of there clays and the rest is finding a technique to work for me.  Sometimes if I cant my barrels I do better.  I am  going to listen to what Tony tells me to do and fight my stubbornness to be in control and just do it.   If it comes to it I am going to see someone like Mr Heagren who has seen me and heard me when I have shot teal and driven or Steve Nutbeam who could also handle me and whom I will eventually go to in any event for coaching.
I hope that you can sort it, but I know exactly what you mean by the 'between the ears thing'. I have that problem with high 2 on skeet, whenever I shoot it.

Teal and Driven are prolly two of the easier (not saying easy) birds to work out a fix for but it sounds like the fact you close one eye has something to do with your inconsistency.  The amount you shoot I think it's imperative you get a few hours in with a proven coach because it's bound to lift your game noticeably. 

In my experience both these presentations respond well to correct pre-address. 
Yep, I was struggling with teal and driven a bit when I saw coach last November.

A couple of minor tweaks saw me put right very quickly.

Hammie has a point when talking about pre-address which I give little attention to as I am so busy just wanting it to be over.  

Hammie has a point when talking about pre-address which I give little attention to as I am so busy just wanting it to be over.  
Good pre-address can even at times pulverise problem targets like overheads which some people seem to really struggle with. I sometimes watch people doing all sorts of wild  movements with these but what can work well is holding still on the predicted line then just make tiny adjustment when you see the clay and pull trigger as it touches the barrel. Teal can at least sometimes be broadly similar to this although you need some movement otherwise you'll forget to provide lead. Driven are very often overled unless quite high. 

Iron out faults, or more accurately fault of lifting my head off the stock.

shoot some sxs competitions

rid myself of over/unders 

shoot more

Well 2016 was my first year of shooting and I remained in C class going to into December; this is a good thing as it's given me the confidence that I can be competitive on most outings.

I've pulled my average up to 72.2% which will see me comfortably in B class at the next cut off. 

So 2017's goals are to shoot as much as possible whilst making every trip out mean something. 

I've entered the Worlds at Kelmarsh so that's going to be quite an experience. 

So I guess in summary it's get my average up as high as I can and keep some consistency.

This is the first year I don't have goals. I have to work out what I want, and there is no point wanting something I can't have due to lack of time or money. Maybe if I stay off the clays for long enough I can buy a dry fire system and practice as much as I like :)

Last edited by a moderator:
My goal this year is to learn how to hit straight trap targets consistently  :rolleyes:

DT

Main goal for 2017 is to try and get into the Scottish FITASC team again, loved shooting the Home International last year, want to do it again!!!

2nd goal, to break 90 at esp, I've shot in the 90's at FITASC and Compak, 90+ at sporting is fast becoming a mental barrier, I shot the first 50 straight at a selection shoot last year, I remember waiting to shoot the 6th stand thinking ? ? "got to shoot in the 90's today" killed the first pair, made a mistake on the next bird, head started thinking at a million miles per hour, got frustrated and walked off with a 5/10...from that point on I was having to fight myself not to count down the misses, finished on 87!!! Getting much better at dealing with mistakes...

3rd goal, to shoot the European FITASC, I'm booked in, time of year is dodgy for me, I fancy shooting it and if everything works out, I'll be there, if weather and farming conspire against me...I won't!!!

4th goal, I improved my average at esp to 80.73% my lowest score was a 74 on a horrible wet and windy day. So, goal is to improve my average by 2% and not to shoot less than a 76 all season at esp.  Moved to B class FITASC, with 81.36% and a lowest score of 78. So the goal for FITASC, nothing below 80 and improve average by 2%...

If I manage most of those goals, I will have had a great season, hears to 2017!!! :)

After a few years charging around doing as much competition skeet as possible, being involved in BSSA and helping run NSSA skeet at a local club. I have a few more simple goals for 2017.

1). Have fun.

2). Spend time shooting with wife lady rather than both shooting differing disciplines at opposite ends of the country all the time.

3). Avoid getting wet shooting - it's just not fun!

4). Shoot what i like, when i like, where i like.

5). Remove myself from any form of responsibility for running / admin shoots or associations.

My goal this year is to learn how to hit straight trap targets consistently  :rolleyes:

DT
Hi Greg

Two tips # 1 don't lift your head to admire that straight'ish looking target  #2 There are very, very few straight targets in trap...even if they do look straight ...   :)  

DT
My problem with straights is that I spend a bit of time admiring the luck of having a straight target and by the time I'm done with that I'm fooked cuz I thought about it and that NEVER works.  The only way I can hit any fast targets is to let the system run on automatic and mindlessly shoot as unhesitatingly as possible.   :wacko:

JMO of course and since I have no golds FWIW

For me - 

#1. Thoroughly enjoy all the England DTL & ABT selection shoots and realise my dream of making the England Shooting team.

#2. Win another county Championship 

#3. Continue to improve my consistency at DTL & ABT 

For me:

1 - Continue building my shooting ground.  Start to turn over 50 shooters per shoot (every fortnight).

2 - Carry on investing in infrastructure. A few more traps, new track/road, and buy a digger.  I could make lots with a digger :)  

3 - go shooting with @Bebo and her husband in the morning.

4 - Finish this glass of Barolo.

5 - Enjoy my shooting.

I've chalked off number 4 already. I'm an over achiever .

For  me Its to rescue my shooting from the cliff its fallen over  the last couple of months. It must be getting near the sharp rocks at the bottom by now.

For me:

1 - Continue building my shooting ground.  Start to turn over 50 shooters per shoot (every fortnight).

2 - Carry on investing in infrastructure. A few more traps, new track/road, and buy a digger.  I could make lots with a digger :)  

3 - go shooting with @Bebo and her husband in the morning.

4 - Finish this glass of Barolo.

5 - Enjoy my shooting.

I've chalked off number 4 already. I'm an over achiever .

May all your wishes come true :wink:

And yours.. You may win the Fish ABT pool sometime this year ;) .

My goal this year is to win a ABTshoot @ the fish............................maybe one day 

doubtfull ?
Actually I was about to Edit that post as I realised that I may need to Borrow a gun for the Winter series next week. 

I'm positive he'll win every week :)

Back