Another price increase for cartridges at end of January

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Salopian

I was told yesterday that cartridges price will increase another £20 -£25 per thousand at the end of January???????

we are just being shafted now.and purely because they can.they try and blame the war in Ukraine for shortages of materials but that conflict has been running for years and what about all the other conflicts that have been ongoing for decades they never caused such constant ridiculous increases.as they diminish their customer base maybe they will then realise the long term implications of their greed.

as I side note how is it that there is such a variation of price in cartridges.the price of lead is the same the price of wads also the same the cases again the same so has powder really gone that crazy.there are cartridges at my local from 250 to 500 and all for clays.the price of game has gone totally stupid even for the lower ranges

Maybe there are too many 'sponsored ' shooters around now ? Their cartridge costs have to come from somewhere.
The casual shooters are doing less shooting, how long will it be until grounds are closing, due to lack of support ? That would lead to more people packing up shooting and giving up their guns............could that be the hidden agenda ?
Fiocchi are buying out a lot of the Competition, which can then lead to a monopoly, maybe these price increases are a sign of things to come ? 🤔

I've changed to 24g and I cannot notice any difference in kills or recoil. I
or price?

I'm getting a sore shoulder after shooting, some internal problem, so I've just fitted an Isis Xpad to make a better job of shock absorption and have used 24g cartridges at the last two shoots, the combination of 24g and Xpad have made a noticeable difference with hardly a twinge after yesterday's 100 clays.
I have to admit to using 4 x FBlu's on one longish target for confidence.
I'll probably continue with 24g for all but longer targets and see how I get on. So far I've tried Lyalvale Super Light and Eley Amber in 8 shot, both were OK (apart from the colour of Ambers ;), at least they are no longer pink.)
I just need to find a source of reasonably priced 24g ammo

Mallard barn gun shop. £252 a 1000 f-blacks
That’s a really good price. Shame it’s too much of a trek for me wish I could find somewhere closer to me that offered such good prices.

That really is a good price, surely that must be older stock at pre(pre)price increases? I would stock up if I were you

or price?

I'm getting a sore shoulder after shooting, some internal problem, so I've just fitted an Isis Xpad to make a better job of shock absorption and have used 24g cartridges at the last two shoots, the combination of 24g and Xpad have made a noticeable difference with hardly a twinge after yesterday's 100 clays.
I'll probably continue with 24g for all but longer targets and see how I get on. So far I've tried Lyalvale Super Light and Eley Amber in 8 shot, both were OK (apart from the colour of Ambers ;), at least they are no longer pink.)
Fiocchi F Black 24 gm 7.5 with half choke will break any long targets as long as the gun is pointing in the right place. I’ve been using 24 gm for a few years, my scores good or bad are no reflection of the cartridges I’m using.

Fiocchi F Black 24 gm 7.5 with half choke will break any long targets as long as the gun is pointing in the right place. I’ve been using 24 gm for a few years, my scores good or bad are no reflection of the cartridges I’m using.
I'm new to the sport but I think with any sport you can have the lastest and greatest stuff but still be terrible at the sport. I could buy 10ks worth of golf clubs but still not hit the ball 350 yards. Like anything practice practice practice is the only thing that will make you better

or price?

Do not doubt the ability of the 24 gram cartridges, I have used 1000's of them. I started using Express HV 24's in the 1980's and was pleasantly surprised by their performance then. If they are good enough for Olympic Trap and Skeet competitions, that will do for me. Even 21 grams would surprise you. I have done countless Corporate events using 21 grams. Most of the people at those events have never fired a gun before and some of the distances they are killing clays at, would amaze you !

Thanks Westley, I did try a slab of 21g cartridges a few years ago now, I didn't try them on long targets but found them to be OK on close to mid-range targets. I would have carried on using them if there had been a better cost advantage

Thanks Westley, I did try a slab of 21g cartridges a few years ago now, I didn't try them on long targets but found them to be OK on close to mid-range targets. I would have carried on using them if there had been a better cost advantage
Try using a 24 gram in your first barrel and a 28 in the other. I find the reduced recoil on the first shot allows me to get on the second target quicker, on sporting targets.

Try using a 24 gram in your first barrel and a 28 in the other. I find the reduced recoil on the first shot allows me to get on the second target quicker, on sporting targets.
Or get a gun that fits as there is no recoil or jump if it’s corrects

Shooting 24gm is like starting a rugby game with 13 men with opposite team having 15

Or get a gun that fits as there is no recoil or jump if it’s corrects

Shooting 24gm is like starting a rugby game with 13 men with opposite team having 15
Whether a gun fits or not sad fact is some people are prone to repetitive strain injury and long term shooting is a major cause everyone should do all they can to minimise recoil damage after all your health comes first some people never have recoil problems but if you do act now

Due to neck and shoulder injuries, that I incurred when I was working, I am prone to feeling recoil. My gun fits rather well, thanks Ben, but I do have things like an Isis recoil pad, to help reduce 'felt recoil' even further. If using 24 gram is such a handicap, I will just have to suffer it. I have dropped to an 8lbs gun, which is almost 1lbs lighter than my previous gun. I no longer shoot competitions, apart from maybe 2 or 3 per year, and I only go to those to meet old friends, who are still alive. ( a lot aren't). If my shoulder injury should become worse, I shall revert to using my Beretta 303 semi auto, and ignore the prejudices that often incurs.

Latest posts

Back