Hotukcartridges

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Louma84

I thought with the current climate of ever increasing costs of cartridges it would be an idea to create a thread for the cheapest 24g/28g clay cartridges currently on the market within your area/travels.

I fear unless we keep discussing and highlighting the most competitive cartridge prices currently on the market companies will continue to rise the prices

I’ll start off Greenfield guns Salisbury
24g 7.5 plastic fiocchi TT1 £256 per 1k
28g 7.5 plastic fiocchi TT1 £260 per 1k

I believe we are all paying too much for our cartridges, As an example, Fiocchi LiteSpeed are now £260 a thousand in February this year they were £220 that’s close to a 20% jump it’s killing the sport 🤬

I’m going to shoot them. I just wonder about the very low pellet count at 2.4mm and 24g. I bet they work well in practice.
Are you serious ?? Or is this a wind up ?? I have used countless thousands of 24 grams since Express first introduced them as 'High Velocity' back in late 80's. I used to buy them for the Clay Club I was in. 2 of our members were top DTL shooters and they wouldn't use anything else for practice or Comps. They won some serious money over the years, often taking in 2 Comps. in the same day. I use a lot of 24 gram in all shot sizes, but my days of being in the top 10 at Comps. are well over due to age and health. I do not even know how many pellets are in a 24 gram 7 1/2 cartridge, I don't seem to have them long enough to bother counting them. They do seem to break targets rather well through my 1/4 & 1/4 choked gun though, regardless of how few pellets there are.

Are you serious ?? Or is this a wind up ?? I have used countless thousands of 24 grams since Express first introduced them as 'High Velocity' back in late 80's. I used to buy them for the Clay Club I was in. 2 of our members were top DTL shooters and they wouldn't use anything else for practice or Comps. They won some serious money over the years, often taking in 2 Comps. in the same day. I use a lot of 24 gram in all shot sizes, but my days of being in the top 10 at Comps. are well over due to age and health. I do not even know how many pellets are in a 24 gram 7 1/2 cartridge, I don't seem to have them long enough to bother counting them. They do seem to break targets rather well through my 1/4 & 1/4 choked gun though, regardless of how few pellets there are.
With respect, DTL isn’t exactly demanding of a cartridge..

I usually shoot 28g 8shot. That’s about 450 pellets versus about 290 in a 24g with UK 7 shot. Pretty big percentage difference; over 50% more pellets in the 28g 8. No problem if you’re on target, but has to be a small disadvantage. Gains from using 24g can come from lower recoil of course.

Last edited:

I usually shoot 28g 8shot. That’s about 450 pellets versus about 290 in a 24g with UK 7 shot. Pretty big percentage difference; over 50% more pellets in the 28g 8. No problem if you’re on target, but has to be a small disadvantage. Gains from using 24g can come from lower recoil of course.
DTL may not be BUT Olympic trap seems difficult enough ! Olympic Disciplines have been 24 grams for a while now. The 50% less pellets doesn't seem to bother those guys !

DTL may not be BUT Olympic trap seems difficult enough ! Olympic Disciplines have been 24 grams for a while now. The 50% less pellets doesn't seem to bother those guys !
As I say, if you’re on it, you’re fine. But 28g will always cover a small margin of error. I’m sure nobody will define how much, so until then we will live in fear and opt for the most certain option. 😀

I shoot with a pal who is well into his eighties. He claims he never feels recoil, but this lad is not heavily built, in fact there is more fat on a greasy chip ! I watch his shoulder when he is shooting and the recoil is quite horrendous. I persuaded him to shoot some of my 24 grams, his scores went up and he agreed to feeling less 'jumping' of the gun. After a fall and a broken hip, he now shoots a semi auto to good effect.

By dropping a shot size in the same calculation you're distorting the numbers. 24g has 12.5% less pellets that a 28g so the total is 390/395 (ish) compared to 450 assuming both are 8's. The pattern should not be much different so the question is whether there are gaps in the pattern warranting a miss.

I agree that if you need a 7 then the extra lead may well help - I would be reaching for a Rossa or Sovereign by then however . . . .

Better get used to it, if the cpsa have their way.
It will be good practice for the future.

Anyhow back to pricing ,it seems like Fiocchi are the price leaders. I have no problem with all their range either 24gm or 28 gm. The only one I am not keen is is light speed.
I would be interested to know if TT1 's are available anywhere at £250 or less

Better get used to it, if the cpsa have their way.
It will be good practice for the future.
Oh, mind I think it’s an attempt to stave off a potential lead shot ban?. As with all (and if it happens) as long as it’s an enforced ruling and within a reasonable time frame? 4g less shot, another excuse for I that

I’ve just seen Hull SuperFast 24grm plastic weds advertised at £255 per thousand, they are a very good shell and the kills I had were very impressive, much smoother on the shoulder than the Fiocchi shells I have been using is another plus

Back