Advice for Trap shooter from Iran

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hamster

I had a long and interesting chat with Mohammad, he's been shooting Trap with his Lanber and RC shells for eight or nine years and by the sounds of it enters a few competitions too. His troubles sound exactly the same as ours in that he typically tends to score 22x25 on a round with 21 smokes, a chip and 3 misses, sometimes with both barrels.

From what I gathered his hold point is around half a meter or so above the trap house and he certainly seems aware of hold points, stance, chokes, timing etc. He says he is not particularly fast preferring to let the bird steady up a bit. Interestingly he has a DT10X 32" with adjustable stock due which I assured him will be a leap forward from a Lanber which is really only a hunting gun.

The advice I gave him was to dry set up the DT10 carefully and give himself time to gel with it, I also tried to tell him that the chances are if he can smoke 21, then the misses are probably more to do with will power/application/focus than huge technique flaws. I may in time get to see him shoot but meanwhile if any Trappies can think of practical advice that would help someone in his stage then please post here and I shall pass them on.

Many thanks :) .

Nice one for engaging with him Hamster - we're truly multicultural!

Hi Hamid,

Is he keeping a log of his misses: L,R, Centre target. High, Low. At the end of each round LH, LL etc. Analysis of second barrels how many and success rates. I was taken aback one time when I realised Peter Boden could remember every competition target he'd missed that year [for some people that's an easier task]. Perhaps name the traps 1,2,3 hence 1H, 3L. Remember the centre trap is used only half as often. He should have a diary of weather and light [probably never changes unlike ours] Does he adjust the target speeds on his practice traps, down to 70, up to 90. Are they aware which scheme of targets 1-9 they're using.

Predominance on certain targets will influence his stance and hold points. You can leave the shooter then to amass data and probably self determine his own solutions.

David

Last edited by a moderator:
Thats a heck of a question as obviously there are many reasons for missing targets.

My thoughts are that if you are capable of hitting 20 OT / UT / ABT targets then your not doing much wrong therefore the few you miss are really down to fatigue and or loss of concentration. Of course you / he could have a problem with a specific target (as MR T points out) due to incorrect stance, mount gun hold etc etc. Mr 40up's log idea is very usefull. A quick glance at my shooting log informs me that it has rained an awfull lot this year and that I have missed way more targets than I would have liked and that I have had way too many guns for my own good over the last few years :D

Hello ips...... Who are you? I know you are not Mr I Ps!!

Anyone know who Alexa is? Just noticed them on the bottom task bar but it does not allow you to click to see who it is. Or is it my iPad playing up again?

Last edited:
Hi Nicola

Just for you I have ammended my info, I am no longer incognito. ;)

Hi Ian, see you at Sealand tomorrow. If your diary's not too full.

Hi Mr T

yes i look forward to it i will be there as per usual missed last week as was in Windsor to see daughter. Have a new technique to try out it involves slashing wildly with second barrel and it jolly well better work.. .

Hi Hamid,

Is he keeping a log of his misses: L,R, Centre target. High, Low. At the end of each round LH, LL etc. Analysis of second barrels how many and success rates. I was taken aback one time when I realised Peter Boden could remember every competition target he'd missed that year [for some people that's an easier task]. Perhaps name the traps 1,2,3 hence 1H, 3L. Remember the centre trap is used only half as often. He should have a diary of weather and light [probably never changes unlike ours] Does he adjust the target speeds on his practice traps, down to 70, up to 90. Are they aware which scheme of targets 1-9 they're using.

Predominance on certain targets will influence his stance and hold points. You can leave the shooter then to amass data and probably self determine his own solutions.

David
Sorry for the late response, just back from hols :cool: . Thanks for the suggestions David, it hadn't occurred to me to ask him about his miss patterns but makes absolute sense. I do it myself with Sporting so no reason why it should be any less vital with Trap really. I will be contacting him soon and suggest he starts logging things down so he can analyse his errors. :)

Latest posts

Back