Talent, technique and technology

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TBH I feel that constantly using swing through (where possible) is the least consistent method for mere mortals. While your gun is moving way faster than the clay you have an additional task on top of seeing where the muzzle is, in controlling the speed and repeating it every time. If your mood changes and you speed up or slow without realising it, it will make no sense when the target is missed. Probably could be perfected for skeet on exact repetition of a limited number of presentations. 

I always thought I used a swing through method for all my shooting - skeet mainly but when I got a Shotkam I saw that I was using all sorts of methods , swing through , maintained lead and pull away. I now think use whatever repeatable method you need to get the gun in front of the clay - its the breaks that count.

I always thought I used a swing through method for all my shooting - skeet mainly but when I got a Shotkam I saw that I was using all sorts of methods , swing through , maintained lead and pull away. I now think use whatever repeatable method you need to get the gun in front of the clay - its the breaks that count.
Think I'm the same that I use all three of those techniques when trying to break clays using what I think is the "the best" one for that particular clay, but then again I reckon it's less conscious decision making from quality experience and might be cos I'm not very good! 😊

Think I'm the same that I use all three of those techniques when trying to break clays using what I think is the "the best" one for that particular clay, but then again I reckon it's less conscious decision making from quality experience and might be cos I'm not very good! 😊

(would love a play with a shotkam though, you lucky duck😊

Get a shotkam then, use Ben's discount code for £100 off. There's also a discount coming up soon from shotkam

As far as your own shooting is concerned the methods can be ignored other than recognizing some general principles so that you can get repeatability. That repeatability could be repeating your idea of a "pull away" technique when in fact you are using a different method !! - or a combination of all three, four or five. After all we don't have to justify ourselves to anybody else.

From a coaches perspective whoever, the problem is coaching should be consistent so that the inconsistencies of the pupil can identified and and ironed out. I don't think George coming up with his own method helps really - what works for him may not work for somebody else. Often different coaches put their own slant on the same information - swing through, pull away, maintained etc, and feet position - You can stand on a unicycle if you have great balance but many do not.

very lucky duck, 4 of us bought one between us in 2016 and including a big £200 duty/tax bill from Fedex it turned out at £210 each, that included a mount for my SxS and a MTM shooting rest for better setting up. I've bought a 28g mount now but due to this lockdown I haven't had a chance to use it yet but for me and what i've used the Shotkam for as a training aid its worked a lot better than the cheapo head cam I had before it. Mind you I have to say towards the end of my stint with the camera I was shooting more for the camera shot than the training part, I found on some long targets the clay was edging out of shot with the amount of lead required, it is nice to see some 'smoked' low 7's on the skeet range though ha ha ha

I recall a OR pair, R-L rabbit, R-L low and fast midi, both probably 35 yards or so.

I shot the pair four times, all three different ways. Broke all eight clays, but basically demonstrated  how crap I am... 

Kill point on the rabbit was different each time and this the transition point was probably a yard or two different each time, so I was either spot on, in front or behind and adapted to the method I found myself able to use.

Ooh that ever so elusive consistency!

Last edited by a moderator:
 Probably could be perfected for skeet on exact repetition of a limited number of presentations. 
I believe that for US skeet the preferred method is sustained lead tho swing thru works fine for me since I'm not much good at anything.  What international skeeters use i can't guess beyond swing thru tho I have to think that a couple stations are just spot shot.  All JMO of course

The speed Vincent Hancock shoots the pairs it can't be sustained lead can it

As far as I’m aware maintained lead is THE method for Skeet. 

Back