Taking a gun from the rack without permission

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"The distillers have just figured out that it take a minimum of three years to make anything you want to call Scotch Whisky and a lot longer to make a really good quality Malt possibly using some of the empty barrels from  Kentucky ... whereas these shysters that are making gin can knock the stuff out in no time and charge an exorbitant price for some flavoured spirt!"

Yes 1600 and something is pretty recent  :lol:
Earliest reference to genever (the original gin) is from the 1300's.  It was a Dutch drink.  British soldier drank it in the 1500 prior to going into battle in the 80 years war - it's where the term Dutch Courage comes from.  King William III (1650-1702) was responsible for it being popular in the UK.  He made it legal for pretty much anyone to distill it. It's as least as old as whisky.

Earliest reference to genever (the original gin) is from the 1300's.  It was a Dutch drink.  British soldier drank it in the 1500 prior to going into battle in the 80 years war - it's where the term Dutch Courage comes from.  King William III (1650-1702) was responsible for it being popular in the UK.  He made it legal for pretty much anyone to distill it. It's as least as old as whisky.
I don't think you have grasped what I meant in my post. The sale of distilled alcohol  called Scotch Whisky takes at the very minimum three years to be able to sell and call it such. Gin on the other hand, which I agree has to be at least as old and perhaps and older concoction, can be distilled and sold the next day! There is no mystique to it its alcohol with additives at it worst and a distillate of something containing botanicals at best... but you get your return almost immediately and charge a crazy price for your flavoured alcohol.

"The distillers have just figured out that it take a minimum of three years to make anything you want to call Scotch Whisky and a lot longer to make a really good quality Malt possibly using some of the empty barrels from  Kentucky ... whereas these shysters that are making gin can knock the stuff out in no time and charge an exorbitant price for some flavoured spirt!"

Yes 1600 and something is pretty recent  :lol:
see above :)  

In essence it takes years and great skill to make a fine whisky... gin on the other hand can be made in hours and the distillers/chemists are cashing in on the recent craze for their strong alcopopesque  spirit.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think you have grasped what I meant in my post. The sale of distilled alcohol  called Scotch Whisky takes at the very minimum three years to be able to sell and call it such. Gin on the other hand, which I agree has to be at least as old and perhaps and older concoction, can be distilled and sold the next day! There is no mystique to it its alcohol with additives at it worst and a distillate of something containing botanicals at best... but you get your return almost immediately and charge a crazy price for your flavoured alcohol.

see above :)  

In essence it takes years and great skill to make a fine whisky... gin on the other hand can be made in hours and the distillers/chemists are cashing in on the recent craze for their strong alcopopesque  spirit.
https://www.thespiritsbusiness.com/2014/07/top-10-barrel-aged-gins/

F'n laughable there are 50 of them now .... the truth is though there is no obligation to age gin and the fact is , and I conveniently pluck this figure from the air :)  , I am willing to bet than more than 95% or more of gin sold and consumed today has never seen the inside of any barrel for any length of time never mind 12 plus years.

edit

surely a contender for the ultimate thread drift 2017 ?? :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
F'n laughable there are 50 of them now .... the truth is though there is no obligation to age gin and the fact is , and I conveniently pluck this figure from the air :)  , I am willing to bet than more than 95% or more of gin sold and consumed today has never seen the inside of any barrel for any length of time never mind 12 plus years.

edit

Maybe matt can set up a vote for us?  :smile:

edit

87% of all statistics are fabricated

I dont have high high end guns but my 725 browning sporting means the world to me. I have tried to keep it carefully under control every minute at the club. I have let people try it out , but not without my permission. guns are very personal items in my opinion. I would be quite upset if someone took my gun without permission. an accidential pick up is not an issue,  I typically put a strip of white tape on my stock to find my gun more easily in a rack of 20 browning over under shotguns although most are trap models at my club and I would notice a shotgun 2 pounds heavier. or one 4 inches longer. I also tend to use extended pretty fancy choke tubes, so they help me to keep mine seperate. 

Yes Charlie but to be fair of that 87% figure actually its has been proven statistically that 75% of the fabrications were in fact honest guesses... which favoured the argument! :lol:
So long as they were honest guesses that seems OK then.  It's the dishonest guess that really cause the problems 53% of the time

Wow! Ironically this thread resembles a very late conversation in a bar...

To me, if your gun is outside of your care, custody and control at any point and you fail to secure against unauthorised access, then you deserve everything you get... whether you have left the gun kicking around outside the cafe at a clay shoot or are pissing it up at a Gameshoot..

What really concerns me is the devision within the sport and the comments that are open to antis far and wide, we don’t need to give them any more collateral to try to shut shooting down in all its forms.

I really don’t see what the issue is with people having the odd drink on a shooting day, or for that matter getting on it after the day is over so long as they aren’t driving and the designated drivers hold the appropriate licence to take charge of the shotguns.

We already live in a nanny state, we don’t need to make it worse..

We don't have to make it worse and seldom if ever do.  Fortunately there is always a buttinski dogooder that will step forward to attend to that.  What would we do without them?

What would we do without them?
Well statistically 49% of the time buttinski's only make things worse than before... but of course some of those included in the opinion poll may have been giving an non genuine honest answer sooo..... given that we know that is something that occurs 53% of the time things could actually be worser than we first thought! :lol:

Last night at our local club, Dee and I were out shooting the sporting, and when finished (in the bitter cold) we retired to the clubhouse for a coffee and to get warm, and sign on for a couple of lines of DTL. As normal we put our guns the the big rack in the centre of the clubhouse along with everyone else's, shooter routinely put their guns in the rack while in the clubhouse for coffee, bacon, or just waiting for their squad in whatever discipline.

A minor commotion occurred when a lad noticed that his B525 grade 5 was missing. He checked the car, asked his mates if they were taking the mick then went white as he frantically searched for his gun. My squad was called so I headed off to shoot (Mrs P would join me on the next squad after warming up more) so what happened next I found out later.

The 525 owner was literally searching the car park when he noticed a large group of people heading for the clubhouse, one of whom was carrying his gun. He ran over and asked what was going on and why the chap was carrying his gun, the response was "it was in the rack on the DTL layout, I just picked it up". The owner hadn't been on the DTL and was understandably miffed as to how it might have gotten there, but no further information was forthcoming and the large group were all shrugs, most of whom were newbies accompanied by 2 members. The same group then wandered off, then moved to the DTL layout where I was, 2 of them shooting, with 1 member who was meant to be minding them, who was actually shooting. I noticed one chap holding a CG Tempio, and thought "wow, that's one hell of a coincidence, that looks just like Dee's but it couldn't possibly be hers, because who would do that?" 

We shot the line, and the large group looked on, while the 1 experienced shot and 2 newbies took part. Line over, everyone left, and I went to collect Mrs P from the clubhouse only to discover her similarly frantic looking for her gun, she had noticed it missing, thought I had returned it to the car and was now properly upset.

Yeah, it actually happened again, same group.

I confronted the newbie (calmly) and asked why he had been shooting my wife's gun, his response (given he couldn't deny it) was indigence, "how was I supposed to know it was your wife's gun?" I pointed to the club guns in the rack, which have CLUB GUN on the barrels, and white tape on the stocks, and was met with an indifferent look, and a mumbled "not my fault, I cant tell the difference".

I spoke to the ground manager who said he would have a word with the members who were supposed to be looking after the group, and went off to shoot with my *Very* upset wife.

I don't really have a frame of reference here as I grew up around guns, I know their value, and have always respected others property, but I simply can't get my head around the fact that he and another member of that group just grabbed a gun off the rack and took it to shoot without even noticing it wasn't a club gun. 
I always keep my gun in a gunslip and not in the club rack, I just lean it up against the rack or nearby but always in sight, seen too many guns damaged in public gun racks. I even had someone walk off with my cartridge bag once, leaving a sub standard one in its place, till l ran around the shoot and retrieved it, he just grinned  and said "thought those cartridges were different!" Be ever vigilant!

Latest posts

Back