Cleaning rod

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark Jones

Can anyone help me?

I'm trying to find a short rod that will fit in a drill chuck for my DT10. All other guns clean ok but the beretta is really stubborn, prob due to over bored barrell? Even with clenzoil and a chamber brush the forcing cones are a real problem to clean. Have looked at take apart rods but these don't fit in the drill chuck, think something brass or aluminium would do the job about 12" long. Found one on Brownells website but was $45 plus postage!

Any ideas? Many thanks Mark

Have you tried letting the cleaner soak in for a while?

I know it's a bit obvious but like you I used to find myself scrubbing away for ages at my Beretta but I've found just by letting the cleaner soak in for 15-20 minutes (Napier in my case) it's a much easier job and the barrels come out spotless.

Have you tried letting the cleaner soak in for a while?

I know it's a bit obvious but like you I used to find myself scrubbing away for ages at my Beretta but I've found just by letting the cleaner soak in for 15-20 minutes (Napier in my case) it's a much easier job and the barrels come out spotless.
Let it soak overnight with clenzoil, tried Napier and Forrests bore foam I use on my rifles letting that soak for 1 hr, becoming a real chore cleaning it even though I di it every time it is shot!

Can anyone help me?

I'm trying to find a short rod that will fit in a drill chuck for my DT10. All other guns clean ok but the beretta is really stubborn, prob due to over bored barrell? Even with clenzoil and a chamber brush the forcing cones are a real problem to clean. Have looked at take apart rods but these don't fit in the drill chuck, think something brass or aluminium would do the job about 12" long. Found one on Brownells website but was $45 plus postage!

I have always used 10 gauge bronze brushes, they might need a squeeze the first time through but seem to clean the chambers a lot better than the right size.  :)

I have always used 10 gauge bronze brushes, they might need a squeeze the first time through but seem to clean the chambers a lot better than the right size.  :)
The other thing is to realise that your trusty bore brush may be knackered. Buy a new one and realise that it's 4mm bigger diameter!

Bloody Hell, WHAT kind of cartridges are you Guys using, black powder ?????? :fie:
Exactly. I have used a full length mop for twenty years barrels come up like new.

Will, I change them every 3 months religiously , may be the cartridge but won't be changing them as I'm used to them. Will have a look at the shooting show for something this weekend

Will, I change them every 3 months religiously , may be the cartridge but won't be changing them as I'm used to them. Will have a look at the shooting show for something this weekend
I change mine every three years, so let's say you have that covered then. :)

OMG , think I must be a bit OCD about cleaning as I remove my chokes and ejectors every shoot as well

I change mine every three years, so let's say you have that covered then. :)
I'm still using ones from the 60's-70's. They don't make them like that anymore - just flimsy rubbish.

I bought a 'new kit' last year with an aluminium handle - Took it out the box and the whole thing was rubbish and to top it all nothing fitted my old kits as the threads were different.

Gave it to a friend. 

As Hamster says try a 10 bore one.

I'm still using the same wooden rod that was included free when I bought my first gun in 1998.. And the same wool mop because I rarely use it..

I had the same problem with my DT10 Sporter.. I now do it with Chamber brush. the one with the very tightly packed bristles. it was still difficult to get clean. I used to clean the bore without first putting in oil before brushing it and spray/ /mop after. works on the other guns but With the DT I have to spray a little oil in the barrel first. I think its due to the overbore.

I had the same problem with my DT10 Sporter.. I now do it with Chamber brush. the one with the very tightly packed bristles. it was still difficult to get clean. I used to clean the bore without first putting in oil before brushing it and spray/ /mop after. works on the other guns but With the DT I have to spray a little oil in the barrel first. I think its due to the overbore.
exactly what I do, and yes, all my other guns are easy its just the dt10. I have a 1 piece cleaning rod I was given when I worked at Barbury Shooting School 20 years ago!! and its still going strong

Different shells can make a huge difference in my experience, but if you're used to the ones you're using there's no point going there.

Hope you get it sorted.

Can anyone help me?

Jack Pike of England do a shotgun cleaning kit with a 7mm brass fit together cleaning rod. Ideal for using in a drill.

Jack Pike of England do a shotgun cleaning kit with a 7mm brass fit together cleaning rod. Ideal for using in a drill.
brought one but different thread to my bisley brushes and the bronze brush they supply was soooo soft so gave it away

Latest posts

Back